Author Topic: Stephen A.-Ohtani  (Read 13724 times)

Re: Stephen A.-Ohtani
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2021, 01:40:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
SAS isn’t wrong.  We have a guy on pace for 60 HRs who also stars as a front of the rotation pitcher.  Babe Ruth stuff.  And yet, he’s not marketed all that much.
Isn't he? I don't follow baseball at all yet see him plastered all over social media, much more than guys like Fernando Tatis.

Outside the lead up to the All-Star game, I haven’t seen it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2021, 02:24:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
SAS isn’t wrong.  We have a guy on pace for 60 HRs who also stars as a front of the rotation pitcher.  Babe Ruth stuff.  And yet, he’s not marketed all that much.
Isn't he? I don't follow baseball at all yet see him plastered all over social media, much more than guys like Fernando Tatis.

Interesting. To be fair, it could literally just be Instagram - that's the only spot I've seen him. Haven't seen him on SportsCenter or anything
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2021, 09:17:36 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
And your comments are a great example of why I no longer comment a lot on these types of things. Unless people toe the liberal/woke party line, you're just a hateful, narrow-minded, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynist bigot.

As a side note: Being an editor, it's disappointing that many people don't really understand, or properly use, the word "phobia." It means "fear," but it's now equated with any sort of disagreement. Someone thinks immigration law should be enforced—"Xenophobe!" Someone thinks marriage is one man and one woman—"Homophobe!" That's nothing more than a cheap demonization tactic that way too many people have been getting away with for years, usually used because their actual arguments aren't valid. So if you want to go on demonizing people and slapping negative labels on them, have at it, but you're not fooling me.

Funny you consider being scared of a minority group 'worse' than not liking them or being against their rights. I also have no idea why you are allowed to say things like you don't believe in gay marriage on this site (especially since this thread is not related to that at all). But of course you are playing the victim perfectly in your post above. You must love the ads pertaining to good vs evil and persecuted priests.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 11:54:49 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2021, 09:17:59 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Interesting. To be fair, it could literally just be Instagram - that's the only spot I've seen him. Haven't seen him on SportsCenter or anything

That right there is the irony.

The so called, "worldwide leader in sports" barely markets Ohtani like they did Judge 3-4 years ago  ::)

I'm not saying ESPN is the only one at fault here but MLB's ratings and viewing numbers are up this season and I think the MLB themselves are doing as much as they can to advertise him. And most people do know him. It's just places like ESPN, Sportscenter, etc. barely cover baseball and hockey anyways.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2021, 09:24:09 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
As a side note: Being an editor, it's disappointing that many people don't really understand, or properly use, the word "phobia." It means "fear," but it's now equated with any sort of disagreement. Someone thinks immigration law should be enforced—"Xenophobe!" Someone thinks marriage is one man and one woman—"Homophobe!" That's nothing more than a cheap demonization tactic that way too many people have been getting away with for years, usually used because their actual arguments aren't valid. So if you want to go on demonizing people and slapping negative labels on them, have at it, but you're not fooling me.

As a former editor, it's disappointing to see you suffuse your intellect with such nonsense.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2021, 09:29:09 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
As far as any lack of marketing for Ohtani, I think that has more to do with the Angels team than the player (or any lack of ability to speak English during interviews). For instance, Albert Pujols was a fixture on Sportscenter and was on pace to be one of the greatest statistical players of all time. He then signs with the Angels, and it was like he fell off the map and was virtually never heard from again. The Angels also have arguably the best player in the world and a perennial MVP candidate in Mike Trout. I’m not sure if I could pick that guy out of a lineup.

The home run derby had Ken Griffey Jr in attendance. He was one of, if not, the biggest star in the game when he played in Seattle. I tuned into watch him play because of his joy for the game and him just being a great player. Not to mention the fact that he had one of the most effortless looking swings, but could hit it a mile at the same time. I don’t ever recall caring about listening to him speak so I could connect with him. It was simply his play that made me like him.

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2021, 09:44:25 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
As far as any lack of marketing for Ohtani, I think that has more to do with the Angels team than the player (or any lack of ability to speak English during interviews). For instance, Albert Pujols was a fixture on Sportscenter and was on pace to be one of the greatest statistical players of all time. He then signs with the Angels, and it was like he fell off the map and was virtually never heard from again. The Angels also have arguably the best player in the world and a perennial MVP candidate in Mike Trout. I’m not sure if I could pick that guy out of a lineup.

The home run derby had Ken Griffey Jr in attendance. He was one of, if not, the biggest star in the game when he played in Seattle. I tuned into watch him play because of his joy for the game and him just being a great player. Not to mention the fact that he had one of the most effortless looking swings, but could hit it a mile at the same time. I don’t ever recall caring about listening to him speak so I could connect with him. It was simply his play that made me like him.

I also think the sport as a whole has taken a big backseat. People's attention are heading more towards NFL, NBA Finals and some niche sports like the Euro Cup, Olympics and just summer life. Baseball is almost an afterthought. Another factor from my perspective is that he is a relatively new star. Lebron had games on ESPN while he was in high school. Wasn't Ohtani injured in the year's past? He barely played until he comes out hot this year.

With that said, his name is out there. I hear him on sports radio, sport shows (including SAS's show), tweets and all that. He is definitely getting out there.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2021, 10:01:39 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Smith's comments were poorly worded and he deserves the backlash.  I think the issue with Sho Ohtani is more the Angels than the interpreter.  Mike Trout doesn't have an interpreter and he has been a very under the radar star, face of the game player as well.

I remember a television ad during the McGuire/Sosa era where the spoof was that all the cameras were on the hitters but Greg Maddox was shown saying hey what about us (Glavine and Smoltz I think were also in it) Cy Youngs, etc.?

The point is that the pitching half of this does not get the hype.  It is cool that he is a hitter too but no one really cares.  He is a good hitter and if he keeps it up and gets the home runs into the 50-60 range, there will be plenty of hype.  But right now, all he has is 33 home runs and he is hitting them for the Angels.  No one really cares.  Not surprising.  Not saying it is fair, just saying this isn't about the interpreter.

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2021, 10:22:23 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

The so called, "worldwide leader in sports" barely markets Ohtani like they did Judge 3-4 years ago  ::)

I'm not saying ESPN is the only one at fault here but MLB's ratings and viewing numbers are up this season and I think the MLB themselves are doing as much as they can to advertise him. And most people do know him. It's just places like ESPN, Sportscenter, etc. barely cover baseball and hockey anyways.

Judge had a nearly unprecedented rookie season, playing for the Yankees of all teams. He’s personable too.

Playing for a small(er) market like Trout and Ohtani do will never get the same coverage like Judge or even Betts (especially when he was in Boston) can get. Playing on the west coast where games usually end after 75% of the country goes to sleep doesn’t help either.

I’m sure neither care that much. Trout could have hit FA and created a mega-bidding-war. Ohtani could have went anywhere too.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2021, 10:40:24 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I remember a television ad during the McGuire/Sosa era where the spoof was that all the cameras were on the hitters but Greg Maddox was shown saying hey what about us (Glavine and Smoltz I think were also in it) Cy Youngs, etc.?

Chicks dig the long ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLECMCargd8

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2021, 10:54:31 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Regularly incomprehensible man criticises the use of interpreters.

Touché and TP.

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2021, 11:00:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Chicks dig the long ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLECMCargd8

Yes, that is it.  Thanks! (TP).

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2021, 11:01:32 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I watched the clips (didn’t bother watching the whole segment) and I walked away triggered.

As someone who speaks English as a 2nd language, I guess I’ve seen way too many Asian kids bullied or called dumb because they don’t speak English flawlessly. The irony is that these people don’t realize that the person they’re judging knows at least 2 languages while they only know one (and it’s not like they even have mastery over it either).

I’m glad he issued an apology because I thought those comments and that take was stupid.

- LilRip

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2021, 04:49:51 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
And your comments are a great example of why I no longer comment a lot on these types of things. Unless people toe the liberal/woke party line, you're just a hateful, narrow-minded, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynist bigot.

Funny you consider being scared of a minority group 'worse' than not liking them or being against their rights.

As to the first part of this sentence: Did you mean to say "being labeled as being scared of a minority group"? Because I never said I was scared of a particular group; in fact, my point was the opposite—that being against something or someone doesn't make me afraid of them. I'm pretty sure you and I are on opposites sides of several big issues, but I'm not afraid of you, or afraid of engaging with you and discussing those things.

As to the second part: I didn't say anything about "liking" or "rights."

I also have no idea why you are allowed to say things like you don't believe in gay marriage on this site (especially since this thread is not related to that at all).

Because there's only one topic banned from these forums, and it's not gay marriage. Are you wishing to censor me?

As to why I brought it up in this thread, it was because I was accused of a particular phobia, which, in my mind, relates to the larger issue of people being inaccurately accused of various phobias, homophobia being one of the more glaring examples.

But of course you are playing the victim perfectly in your post above.

I was accused of being something I'm not. Do you think false accusations are victimless?

You must love the ads pertaining to good vs evil and persecuted priests.

I can take 'em or leave 'em. Some of them are a bit over the top, and I'm not Catholic, but I do believe that good and evil are real things.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2021, 05:02:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Judge had a nearly unprecedented rookie season, playing for the Yankees of all teams. He’s personable too.

Playing for a small(er) market like Trout and Ohtani do will never get the same coverage like Judge or even Betts (especially when he was in Boston) can get. Playing on the west coast where games usually end after 75% of the country goes to sleep doesn’t help either.

I’m sure neither care that much. Trout could have hit FA and created a mega-bidding-war. Ohtani could have went anywhere too.

The bolded part plays into SAS' point.  Personality matters, and language is part of that personality.  It's not the exclusive part:  Pete Alonso communicated a ton at the HR derby without saying a word, just by smiling, dancing, etc.  Some probably hated it, some obviously loved it, but it was "made for TV".

It applies to guys like Mike Trout, too.  Trout has declined to market himself or to allow himself to be "the face of baseball".  The Commissioner even noted it:

Player marketing requires one thing for sure -- the player. You cannot market a player passively. You can't market anything passively. You need people to engage with those to whom you are trying to market in order to have effective marketing. We are very interested in having our players more engaged and having higher-profile players and helping our players develop their individual brand. But that involves the player being actively engaged.

Mike's a great, great player and a really nice person, but he's made certain decisions about what he wants to do and what he doesn't want to do, and how he wants to spend his free time and how he doesn't want to spend his free time. That's up to him. If he wants to engage and be more active in that area, I think we could help him make his brand really, really big. But he has to make a decision that he's prepared to engage in that area. It takes time and effort."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2786598-rob-manfred-mlb-cant-market-mike-trout-because-he-wont-help-market-himself

Marketing is a multi-faceted thing, but mostly, it's about making fans like you.  I think Manfred is right:  if the player doesn't engage with fans, it's hard to market.  It's similar with Ohtani, although his lack of engagement is for a different reason.

And seriously, what the heck Angels?  You've got Trout (injured, I know), Ohtani, Rendon, you had Pujols.  Win something.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes