Author Topic: 2nd round player comps  (Read 7891 times)

2nd round player comps
« on: June 29, 2021, 01:37:57 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I have never been a big fan of player comps as a draft evaluation tool. They often just seem like a lazy way to scout. I usually like to pick out physical combs and archetype comps. However this draft I feel like it worth pointing out a few projected 2nd round picks who are very comparable to NBA player who where either high picks are very productive players.

1. Jay Huff / Frank Kaminsky

Both are about 7'1, Huff has much better length with a rumored 7'5 wingspan. Kaminsky was the 9th pick in the draft while Huff is a projected 2nd round pick. Their per 36 stats are very comparable.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=jay-huff--frank-kaminsky

2. Herb Jones / Robert Covington

Both are almost the identical size and age with Covington have a 1" longer wingspan. Covington was a higher usage college player and had better shooting splits but I do not think its a stretch to think Jones could be a Covington 'lite" type 3/4 on a good playoff team in the near future.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=herbert-jones--robert-covington

3. Joe Wieskamp / Gordon Hayward

This is kind of a lazy white guy to white guy comp but I found it remarkable how similar they are statistically. WiesKamp is 1.5 years older but given how well he measured/tested and the combine and his shooting spits it incredible to think Hayward was the 9th pick and Wieskamp is projected by many to be a late second.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=joe-wieskamp--gordon-hayward

4. Nah'Shon Hyland / Malik Monk

I suspect Hyland climbs into the first round but not as high as Monk who went #11. Hyland is 1.5 years older and 20lbs lighter but with a massive 6'9.25" WS compared to Monks 6'5. Statistically they are nearly identical and I suspect their NBA roles as a 6th man scoring spark will be very similar.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/monkma01.html

5. Quentin Grimes / Josh Hart

This is another pretty seamless size and role comp. Both players have great combo guard size with the ability to defend smaller wings and provide some on ball skills. Hart was a year older then Grimes.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=quentin-grimes--josh-hart
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 01:53:24 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: 2nd round player comps
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 01:53:32 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I want Herb Jones after seeing the profiles lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 02:04:16 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
As some one who has seen a bunch of UVA games and Jay Huff in person.  He is not an NBA rotation player. He can shoot but he will get played off the floor in defense. He may stick on the end of a bench as a shooting 5 but he will get a lot of DNPs.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 02:48:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
ESPN projects Celtics taking Kessler Edwards from Pepperdine at 45:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397693/kessler-edwards

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 03:27:39 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
ESPN projects Celtics taking Kessler Edwards from Pepperdine at 45:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4397693/kessler-edwards

Oh boy, a wing.  Not that we don't have any of those!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 03:35:06 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
I think teams (OKC specifically) will be looking to shed 2nd rounders.  The C's may end up buying a second rounder earlier than 45.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 03:54:13 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Actually don’t need a pick..roster is loaded..if do keep the pick, it be a oversea statch player
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 04:13:55 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
Actually don’t need a pick..roster is loaded..if do keep the pick, it be a oversea statch player

I generally agree but I think both Tacko and Waters are gone and their 2 way slots need to be filled with high upside players.  I also wonder if Semi sticks around.  He may get a FA offer that the C's don't match.

Yam may come over and take one slot but last I knew he was in court trying to get released from his Israeli contract and may not be available.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 04:22:31 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I think teams (OKC specifically) will be looking to shed 2nd rounders.  The C's may end up buying a second rounder earlier than 45.

2-ways make second round picks really interesting and hard to predict. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Celtics trade for another later 2nd round pick and use #45 and the acquired pick to take two guys who agree to sign on 2-ways prior to the draft. I know in the past draft experts have reported that players/agents will make deals with teams to sign 2-ways if the fall to a specific team. #45 agreeing to a two way would allow the Cs to bring Yam over and still have a roster spot open for a vet. I could also see the Cs leaving Yam over seas for one more season while they wait for Edwards deal to run out.

1   Horford
2   Brown
3   Fournier (resign)
4   Smart
5   Tatum
6   Thompson
7   Langford
8   Nesmith
9   G Williams
10   Pritchard
11   R Williams
12   Edwards
13   M Brown
14   Yam
2-way   #45
2-way   ??

I could also see Thompson being traded for an early 2nd (sac at #39?) and the Cs signing a big wing like J Green or O Porter then adding a vet bigger Pg (Wannamaker?) to round out the roster
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 04:33:42 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
 Just to add one - I see some shades of Nic Batum in Isaiah Livers game; versatile defender, 3+D kind of guy, a bit underrated as a passer. I’m hoping he’s there at 45.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 04:44:45 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Just to add one - I see some shades of Nic Batum in Isaiah Livers game; versatile defender, 3+D kind of guy, a bit underrated as a passer. I’m hoping he’s there at 45.

I love Livers, and would be happy to get him at 45.  He's a terrific shooter and defender, able to guard the 2-4 well.  That said, I don't think he projects very well as a creator for others.  He can make the swing pass to move it around the perimeter, but he's not going to be someone who creates shots or passes off the dribble.  He's a pure 3&D, who's shots inside the line will come from attacking closeouts and the occasional offensive rebound.

He's suffered a series of foot and ankle injuries the last two seasons, which is definitely the biggest knock.  If he stays healthy, he has starter potential at the 4 on our current roster -- certainly a rotation player.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 05:36:06 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Love Joe Wieskamp as our 2nd round pick. Herb Jones is a nice  player at that spot as well.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2021, 05:53:46 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Love Joe Wieskamp as our 2nd round pick. Herb Jones is a nice  player at that spot as well.

I love Wieskamp as well. I also really like  Grimes, Bleijenbergh, Rokas, Roko, Kessler Edwards, Queta, Maker, and maybe Sandro Mamukela-shvili and Marcus Garrett on camp invites. There is loads of value in this draft and there will be some useful undrafted guys.

Marcus Garrett reminds me of Matisse Thybulle type player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTLVoyqlIkY

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 05:57:19 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I love Wieskamp as well. I also really like  Grimes, Bleijenbergh, Rokas, Roko, Kessler Edwards, Queta, Maker, and maybe Sandro Mamukela-shvili and Marcus Garrett on camp invites. There is loads of value in this draft and there will be some useful undrafted guys.

Sandro would be an interesting big to bring in on a 2-way. Could see him mimicking a lot of what Horford does on offense
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 05:59:54 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Sandro would be an interesting big to bring in on a 2-way. Could see him mimicking a lot of what Horford does on offense

Yeah, he could be a very good complimentary player. His defense is not so good but as a bench big he could add a lot on offense with the bench unit.