Author Topic: The Plan  (Read 8875 times)

Re: The Plan
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 06:37:05 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Beal trade very likely will require giving up Jaylen Brown.  Are you okay with that?

Not really how these things work.

Go on...

When a star player forces his way to a contender his team never gets a comparable star in return.

Sorry, I missed the news release that Beal is demanding a trade. My bad.

Same boat... :-X :laugh:

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 06:47:37 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Beal trade very likely will require giving up Jaylen Brown.  Are you okay with that?

Go on...

When a star player forces his way to a contender his team never gets a comparable star in return.

Sorry, I missed the news release that Beal is demanding a trade. My bad.

Oh please show the news release that Beal is being traded at all.

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 08:05:09 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Its a good Plan...except for the fact it seems to rely on the idea of Beal forcing his way out of DC and onto the Celts...so its more of good Wish.

Do you envision Beal signing another extension with the Wizards after they miss the playoffs again this year. Is it fair to say that Washington will have to consider moving him at some point after the season, rather than letting him walk for nothing?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 08:09:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
It's not KAT, but I'd make a play for Vucevic this offseason with the TPE. I think he can be had for 2-3 first round picks, and assuming we'll likely lose at least 1 of Theis/Thompson in the offseason, Vucevic can slot in and I think he'd be a great #3 guy on a championship team. He's playing like an All-Star this season and I feel he's been a bit underrated too over the past 2-3 years.

Some things will depend on what happens in the postseason this year. But honestly, if we could manage to get Vucevic while keeping at least one of Timelord/Smart and a lot of our other main guys, we should do it. And yeah, I love Smart but come on, can we stop acting like he's 'untouchable"?? Not at all advocating we just dump him, but if we have another frustrating postseason then really there's no reason not to make him expendable in a trade this offseason for value. Build with Jaylen + Tatum.

Kemba's contract is up after next season anyways, and I don't think we can ignore that the goal should be to contend with Jaylen + Tatum soon. I know they say they love Boston and signed extensions recently, but as we know in this league things change real fast. If DA decides to set up a rebuild of sorts or doesn't signal any move(s) to "go for it", I think that could upset 1 or both of them.

I know Vucevic is not the popular option over a guy like Beal or KAT, but I doubt you can get either without giving up Jaylen, and also maybe I'm underrating him but I don't see "superstar" in KAT. All-Star? Absolutely. Superstar like an AD or Jokic? No.

Vucevic doesn’t fit Jaylen and Jaysons timeline. He’s going to be 31 this year, I also don’t think he’s good enough to pair with the J’s as the 3rd star player.

Maybe, but I really don't think the "timeline" part matters that much. Like sure, if he was 35 years old I agree. At 31, he is still someone who has probably 2-3, maybe 4 more high-quality seasons left in him, and after that the C's could search for another star to complement the Jays. I mean, by that logic why did we even sign Kemba, or why acquire Horford when we did?

Also, Vucevic is a Top-5 center in the league this season so I can't see why he wouldn't be a fine #3 guy on a championship team.

I'm not saying Vucevic is my Plan A, but of all the options he's the most realistic for the TPE in the offseason. If we had a chance to get Beal while not needing to give up Jaylen or Tatum, hell yeah I'd do it.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2021, 10:29:05 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
It's not KAT, but I'd make a play for Vucevic this offseason with the TPE. I think he can be had for 2-3 first round picks, and assuming we'll likely lose at least 1 of Theis/Thompson in the offseason, Vucevic can slot in and I think he'd be a great #3 guy on a championship team. He's playing like an All-Star this season and I feel he's been a bit underrated too over the past 2-3 years.

Some things will depend on what happens in the postseason this year. But honestly, if we could manage to get Vucevic while keeping at least one of Timelord/Smart and a lot of our other main guys, we should do it. And yeah, I love Smart but come on, can we stop acting like he's 'untouchable"?? Not at all advocating we just dump him, but if we have another frustrating postseason then really there's no reason not to make him expendable in a trade this offseason for value. Build with Jaylen + Tatum.

Kemba's contract is up after next season anyways, and I don't think we can ignore that the goal should be to contend with Jaylen + Tatum soon. I know they say they love Boston and signed extensions recently, but as we know in this league things change real fast. If DA decides to set up a rebuild of sorts or doesn't signal any move(s) to "go for it", I think that could upset 1 or both of them.

I know Vucevic is not the popular option over a guy like Beal or KAT, but I doubt you can get either without giving up Jaylen, and also maybe I'm underrating him but I don't see "superstar" in KAT. All-Star? Absolutely. Superstar like an AD or Jokic? No.

Vucevic doesn’t fit Jaylen and Jaysons timeline. He’s going to be 31 this year, I also don’t think he’s good enough to pair with the J’s as the 3rd star player.

Maybe, but I really don't think the "timeline" part matters that much. Like sure, if he was 35 years old I agree. At 31, he is still someone who has probably 2-3, maybe 4 more high-quality seasons left in him, and after that the C's could search for another star to complement the Jays. I mean, by that logic why did we even sign Kemba, or why acquire Horford when we did?

Also, Vucevic is a Top-5 center in the league this season so I can't see why he wouldn't be a fine #3 guy on a championship team.

I'm not saying Vucevic is my Plan A, but of all the options he's the most realistic for the TPE in the offseason. If we had a chance to get Beal while not needing to give up Jaylen or Tatum, hell yeah I'd do it.

I don’t see the C’s getting past the Nets this year or next and adding Vucevic is not going to change that. If they have to wait a few years for their shot, I wouldn’t want To add a 3rd star player that is on the wrong side of 30.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2021, 10:34:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don’t see the C’s getting past the Nets this year or next and adding Vucevic is not going to change that. If they have to wait a few years for their shot, I wouldn’t want To add a 3rd star player that is on the wrong side of 30.
I think pre-judging as a whole in life is a bad move. And it applies here. I hate everything about making roster decisions because you have decided someone else is too good to beat. If you are on a good team and you have that attitude in pro sports, you should just go home if you don't want to compete to win every night and win it all every season. That type of attitude should not exist anywhere in your organization.

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2021, 11:12:07 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I think pre-judging as a whole in life is a bad move. And it applies here. I hate everything about making roster decisions because you have decided someone else is too good to beat. If you are on a good team and you have that attitude in pro sports, you should just go home if you don't want to compete to win every night and win it all every season. That type of attitude should not exist anywhere in your organization.

That's not how the world works though.  There is a gigantic advantage if you can incorporate someone like that and that mindset is common in people who are top 5 centers in the league.  The mindset you layout is a top down strategy that can be extremely effective if everyone buys in but it's still just one strategy of many and you're pigeonholing yourself

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2021, 11:20:54 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Normally, I would agree with you, but the Nets just beat a full strength C’s team handily and they didn’t even have their best player. The Nets have a more talented big 3 than the Warriors had during their dynasty. They have 3 first ballot hall of famers, 2 of whom were League MVP’s and Kyrie is playing like an MVP this year. Believe me, I’m not happy about it, but sometimes you just have to accept the fact that you’re are outclassed. 

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2021, 11:38:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think the plan, at least for the rest of this season based on Stevens comments tonight, is to get the roster to the point where the starting 5 is

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Robert Williams

Stevens said Smart is moving back into the starting 5 soon and the plan is to play smaller the rest of the way, with less center minutes available. He also said the plan for Robert Williams is to play him more and more going forward.

That would give us a highly competitive core 5 going into the playoffs, with vets like Thompson and Teague off the bench to go along with our younger guys like Semi and Pritchard.

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2021, 12:02:53 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Its a good Plan...except for the fact it seems to rely on the idea of Beal forcing his way out of DC and onto the Celts...so its more of good Wish.
Yeah, and not only that but friends on different teams don't always try to force their way onto the same team with friends. Here are some:

John Wall and Damian Lillard.

Chris Paul and LeBron James.

Klay Thompson and Kevin Love.

Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James.

Kyle Lowry and Jimmy Butler.

Yes, sometimes guys with power get try to force actions to get their friends on their teams. But, some don't. Some just want great ballers on their teams. Harden's run of star teammates that weren't necessarily his friends come to mind. LeBron's need to have Kyrie and Love is another.

So, there is no certainty that Beal or Tatum will force teams to put them together. Both may decide to just have ballers on their teams like Tatum with Brown or Beal with Westbrook. Beal and Tatum forcing themselves together is no foregone conclusion, like many here seem to think.

It seems pretty clear that they would like to play together at some point...

"I’ve never, in organized basketball, played on the same team with him,” Tatum said of Beal after the Celtics' 111-110 win over Washington. "So, that’d be special for us if we can. It's going to be our first All-Star game together, but hopefully, we’ll be on the same team."

He’s a special talent," Beal told reporters after Tatum scored six unanswered points in the final 45 seconds to seal the victory. "Everybody knows our relationship. Everybody knows we compete but we pull for each other. I’m p---ed off he actually got to get going against us."

After the All-Star game:

“It was fun,” Beal said. “It was fun, man. That’s my brother. That’s my brother forever. It was very unique and awesome to be able to share a floor with him, for us both to get going. Like I said before, we’ve never been on the same team. That in itself was a little honor. We were both ecstatic about it, and we were happy. St. Louis boys have to stick together.

“Everybody knows how close we are and the history we have, and it’s just a really special moment,” Tatum said. “Two guys from the same high school, same neighborhood, kind of grew up together, starting in the All-Star game from St. Louis, it don’t get no better than that.”

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2021, 12:34:57 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

Go on...

Most trades of superstars don’t involve all-stars going the other way.    In our case, though, that’s probably what we’d have to pay unless our young players develop and show serious potential.

One idea:  acquire Barnes.  Package Barnes + Smart + several #1s and young players in the off-season.

The past two games make it obvious, to me anyway, that Smart is essential to this team's success.
He is also the type of player every title team seems to have - the intangible difference maker.

Also do not want to trade away Pritchard. We need playmaking !!! I'm wary of another high-usage guard like Beal..

I'd rather upgrade the PG and Center positions, then add shooters.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2021, 12:43:06 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

I hate everything about making roster decisions because you have decided someone else is too good to beat. If you are on a good team and you have that attitude in pro sports, you should just go home if you don't want to compete to win. That type of attitude should not exist in your organization.
[/b]

Amen. Planning to win titles after your rivals get older is a loser mentality.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2021, 01:01:54 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, and not only that but friends on different teams don't always try to force their way onto the same team with friends. Here are some:

Yes, sometimes guys with power get try to force actions to get their friends on their teams. But, some don't. Some just want great ballers on their teams. Harden's run of star teammates that weren't necessarily his friends come to mind. LeBron's need to have Kyrie and Love is another.

So, there is no certainty that Beal or Tatum will force teams to put them together. Both may decide to just have ballers on their teams like Tatum with Brown or Beal with Westbrook. Beal and Tatum forcing themselves together is no foregone conclusion, like many here seem to think.

"I’ve never, in organized basketball, played on the same team with him,” Tatum said of Beal after the Celtics' 111-110 win over Washington. "So, that’d be special for us if we can. It's going to be our first All-Star game together, but hopefully, we’ll be on the same team."

He’s a special talent," Beal told reporters after Tatum scored six unanswered points in the final 45 seconds to seal the victory. "Everybody knows our relationship. Everybody knows we compete but we pull for each other. I’m p---ed off he actually got to get going against us."

After the All-Star game:

“It was fun,” Beal said. “It was fun, man. That’s my brother. That’s my brother forever. It was very unique and awesome to be able to share a floor with him, for us both to get going. Like I said before, we’ve never been on the same team. That in itself was a little honor. We were both ecstatic about it, and we were happy. St. Louis boys have to stick together.

“Everybody knows how close we are and the history we have, and it’s just a really special moment,” Tatum said. “Two guys from the same high school, same neighborhood, kind of grew up together, starting in the All-Star game from St. Louis, it don’t get no better than that.”
I'm not getting any definitive feelings that they want to play together so much that they would force teams to trade to get them on the same team.

I'm getting they are friends and have a lot of mutual respect for each other, but not getting out of that what you are. I think they were just saying how great it was to be All-Star teammates.

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2021, 01:40:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Go on...

Most trades of superstars don’t involve all-stars going the other way.    In our case, though, that’s probably what we’d have to pay unless our young players develop and show serious potential.

One idea:  acquire Barnes.  Package Barnes + Smart + several #1s and young players in the off-season.
Only one I can think of recently is Kawhi
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2021, 09:22:27 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

After the All-Star game:

I'm not getting any definitive feelings that they want to play together so much that they would force teams to trade to get them on the same team.

I'm getting they are friends and have a lot of mutual respect for each other, but not getting out of that what you are. I think they were just saying how great it was to be All-Star teammates.

I’m not saying that is definitive, either.  I would say that it’s likely. It’s also likely that Beal will not be returning to the Wizards after next year and likely that the Wizards will be looking to move him after this season concludes. Tatum has recruited players in the past and I think it would be likely that he would do the same for one of his closest friends. He played a big role when it came to Kemba joining the C’s.

Excited about former UConn luminary Kemba Walker joining the team, Tatum gushed about his role in convincing the three-time All-Star to sign with the team:

“I’m very excited … I think I had a big part with him coming here. I was with him in Paris … I never told him to come, but I told him I would love for him to join the team and told him how it was. Obviously everybody has to do what’s best for themselves, and I’m happy for him.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/02/jayson-tatum-tells-how-he-helped-recruit-kemba-walker-to-boston/amp/

"Me and Jayson actually spoke for quite some time," Walker said of their interactions in Paris. "Jayson’s such a good guy, such a great player. For the most part, I like being around high-character guys with work ethic. Just guys who I can be around, be myself around. That’s kind of the vibe I got from JT when I was around him."

"When we left Paris, as the days went on and free agency came and I made my decision, a lot was because of him.” -Kemba

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/kemba-walker-details-how-jayson-tatum-recruited-him-jordan-event-paris