Author Topic: How often do you watch non-Celtics games?  (Read 6111 times)

How often do you watch non-Celtics games?
« on: March 01, 2021, 06:46:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Perhaps more so with this year than any other, I am seeing some bizarre takes in the Trade Ideas forum.  It’s pretty clear that some fans are basing their entire assessment of a player based upon seeing him against the Celtics two or three times (or fewer).

Other fans seem to have a ton of generalized basketball knowledge, including opinions on obscure bench guys.

I tend to watch almost all Celtics games, then I usually follow two or three other teams based upon who I’ve built my fantasy team around.  Then, I read a ton and follow statistics.  I am sure that I have lots of blind spots, particularly guys you have made significant changes to their game over the off-season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: How often do you watch non-Celtics games?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 07:09:05 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Pretty much nightly when Cs don’t play. I watch a lot of Bucks games due to Giannis/Greek connection. My guilty pleasure this year has been watching Charlotte play. But I’m a sucker for prime time basketball on Cs days off to make the time pass in the evenings.

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 07:16:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I watch the Suns quite bit because Devin Booker is my favorite non-Celtics player. Other than that, I catch a stray game every now and then.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 07:22:38 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Usually 2-3 times a week I will watch some non_Celtic gamess.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 07:26:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I catch quite a few non Celtics games at work.  Patients are watching games most nights and if I'm having a good night I go out and watch with them.  I don't watch many non Celtics games at home though until the playoffs start.  I'm a big stat, news, and rumor guy.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 07:28:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I watch a fair amount of the national games on TNT and ESPN (I'm usually busy when ABC games are on).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 08:03:34 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
Too offen.  8)

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 08:10:26 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Have League Pass and use it extensively and have done so for years. Flip from game to game depending on how interesting they are at night in my home office. I see all the Cs' games, but even more non-Cs now because of LP and the pandemic. Been watching NBA games since the 60s.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 08:14:05 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
never.  absolutely never.  last time I think I had any interest in a non-celtic game was the 1983 NBA finals. 

can't stand the type of game that the NBA has turned into.  if I wasn't an absolute diehard C's fan, I wouldn't bother with the sport

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 08:21:00 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
If there's something on ABC, TNT, ESPN or NBATV, then there's a pretty good chance that I have it on.  Sometimes it's just background noise while I do something else, but I've got basketball on pretty much every night. 

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 09:59:01 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
I can't pull up reddit regarding the games or even Celtics games anymore. They completely blocked it. Including the NFL. Anyone wanna PM me a reliable source for these games I'll TP ya  ;D

But yah, I can only watch games when they're on ABC basically.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 10:18:44 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
never. in general i find the nba game to be unwatchable. sometimes i will watch NCAA, but that is it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 10:30:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here in central Florida we get the Magic as our local team telecast. I watch one or two of their games a week, plus a national game that isn't a Celtic game, every week or two.

I do follow the league results, the standings and stats almost every day. I follow most of the bigger NBA reporters and some teams on Twitter. And I check into Hoopshype rumors on the regular.

I am not sure if that means I am well versed enough to talk intelligently on every player and team, but I think it does mean I am trying to.

I used to watch a ton of NCAA ball so as to stay on top of draft stuff, but over the last couple seasons have stopped doing that.

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 10:43:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Pretty often. Maybe even too often. I'm a huge nerd for the draft, and 99% of the guys I pine for end up on other teams. Also in Australia we only get national games on TV, so it's easy for me to just stream multiple games at once after the Cs games are done or whatever. Been watching a fair amount of Cleveland (Garland), Phoenix (Jevon Carter), Memphis (Tillman) and GS (Tillman) this year.

Always quietly hoping we find ways to bring these guys in. But then they end up like Moose or Terrence Williams and don't stick around (despite me thinking they were serviceable!)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 10:58:48 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I watch every Celtics game (with very few exceptions) and will watch a random 10:00pm game about once a week when I want to stay up late and nurse a couple cold ones.

I also listen to NBA podcasts in the background of work a couple times a week and will tune into national games when they pique my interest.

All that being said, I never toss out trade ideas because in the ~15 years I’ve been lurking or posting on these forums I’ve recognized how very rare it is for a trade idea to actually come to fruition. I know it’s a fun part of fandom for many people, just not for me.