Poll

Starting: What should Patriots do regarding QB situation?

sign stopgap UFA:  Fitzpatrick, Trubisky, Smith etc.
4 (14.8%)
trade/overpay for Garoppolo
4 (14.8%)
bring back Newton
5 (18.5%)
Draft: best available 1st round pick. Mac Jones (example)
14 (51.9%)
Draft: best available 2nd round pick. Davis Mills (example)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Poll: What should Patriots do regarding QB situation?  (Read 9431 times)

Re: Poll: What should Patriots do regarding QB situation?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 06:48:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What would you do??

Imo they should sign a UFA QB (not named Newton).   And draft best available 2nd round QB.  Davis Mills is underrated.  Cut Hoyer.

The bread and butter QBs of the draft are likely going to be chosen prior to 15 (example Zac Wilson).    Not a fan of reaching for Mac Jones

Has weak arm power.   Poor mobility.

You know who doesn’t have weak arm power and poor mobility? Cam Newton. How did that work out? I’d take a high IQ QB who is accurate every day of the week. Mac can still throw the ball 50+ yards. Not like he’s a noodle arm or something..

Newton is mediocre. Why bring him up? He should not be worth mentioning.  Russell Wilson, Mahomes and a good chunk of today nfl qbs have strong arms + can play

Mac Jones has noodle arms. Like Trask

Receivers will be waiting a lifetime for those passes

A good iq qb prospect that can throw (66 percent completion rate) and run a little is Davis Mills

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 06:56:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would be okay with Mariota as a stopgap. Try and use him similarly to how Tennessee use Tannehill.

If we can trade up for Trey Lance I'd give that a go, but he seems destined for Carolina. Unsure about Mac Jones, given the last Alabama starting QB to actually improve in the NFL was Joe Namath.

Maybe pray Pitts falls into our hands. If not would be happy to take Rondale Moore or Rousseau.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 10:00:27 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Sigh should have paid Brady. Much regrets

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 10:15:07 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
My only concern is Belichick. This isn't going to be "the year" for the team, thus, we get stopgaps and maybe a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd round.

College QB evaluations are very difficult, look at all of the misses that bad teams have suffered through.

Here's all the QB's Bill has drafted since taking over long ago...

2000, Round 6, Pick 199: Tom Brady, Michigan
2002, Round 4, Pick 117: Rohan Davey, LSU
2003, Round 6, Pick 201: Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech
2005, Round 7, Pick 205: Matt Cassel, USC
2008, Round 3, Pick 94: Kevin O'Connell, San Diego State
2009 undrafted, Brian Hoyer Michigan State
2010, Round 7, Pick 250: Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State
2011, Round 3, Pick 74: Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
2014, Round 2, Pick 64: Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
2016, Round 3, Pick 91: Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina State
2018, Round 7, Pick 219: Danny Etling, LSU
2019, Round 4, Pick 133: Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

An interesting mix...one, however is missing?
2009 Round 7, pick: 232 Julian Edelman..still has the record for total offense as QB at Kent State.

This might be the one year where Bill spends a high pick for a QB, but, the odds aren't good. Jimmy G at the very end of the 2nd round is as high as Bill has ever gone.

This year in the later rounds:

Ian Book Notre Dame 49 TD 9 int (JR/SR years)
Shane Buechele SMU 23 TD 6 int ( SR year)
Brady White Memphis 64 TD 21 int (SR/JR year)

Bill might look at one of these guys, I don't live in Nantucket so I don't know. The reason for Jimmy G was he can get the ball out fast and still can....one of the quickest in the NFL.

Don't see Bill "paying" for a veteran QB though...he wouldn't pay Brady why would be pay Trubisky?

Cam Newton and his injured shoulder is unable to throw screen passes, quick outs, pops into the end zone etc. Imagine being the opposing defensive coordinator and knowing the above? Talk about being able to simplify your defensive game plan.

Personally, I like Jones as a player who might translate into the NFL. If he drops? Bill might pick him in the 2nd round and add him to his C- record drafting SEC QB's.

Bill does "bring guys back" now and then and Brissett will be inexpensive and quick to pick up the Patriot's system if he's available.

There was a rumor of the Patriots inquiring about Bridgewater, but, Bill is thorough with his smokescreens.

The only veteran backup QB Bill truly wants next year? Vinny Testaverde, age 58. Vinny played with 8 NFL teams in his 20 year career, (including in Cleveland with Bill) talk about knowing everybody else's playbook?

Brady 681 TD 181 INT
Testaverde 275 TD 267 INT

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 10:16:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What would you do??

Imo they should sign a UFA QB (not named Newton).   And draft best available 2nd round QB.  Davis Mills is underrated.  Cut Hoyer.

The bread and butter QBs of the draft are likely going to be chosen prior to 15 (example Zac Wilson).    Not a fan of reaching for Mac Jones

Has weak arm power.   Poor mobility.

You know who doesn’t have weak arm power and poor mobility? Cam Newton. How did that work out? I’d take a high IQ QB who is accurate every day of the week. Mac can still throw the ball 50+ yards. Not like he’s a noodle arm or something..

Newton is mediocre. Why bring him up? He should not be worth mentioning.  Russell Wilson, Mahomes and a good chunk of today nfl qbs have strong arms + can play

Mac Jones has noodle arms. Like Trask

Receivers will be waiting a lifetime for those passes

A good iq qb prospect that can throw (66 percent completion rate) and run a little is Davis Mills
Davis Mills cannot run at all. Like, not even remotely. 63 carries for 86 yards in his entire career, with only 3 touchdowns. He is by definition a pocket passer. The only reason he's moving up the rankings is because the QB class is stunting in the middle. A guy with as big a failure of a college career as Mills is not the answer.

He's got a good natural arm, as well as textbook QB size, but he's got a lot of flaws. He really should have stayed another year at Stanford IMO. He'll probably go day 3.

There are a number of other QB's in the similar range with, in my opinion, a higher chance of success. Kellen Mond had a much better college career than Mills and has a higher physical upside. Jamie Newman is a high-upside guy. I'd also rather us take Dustin Crum, mainly because the last time we took a Kent State QB he turned out pretty well (admittedly at WR... ;D )
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 07:50:30 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Couldn't vote because my option wasn't there.  I'd like to see Mariota 1st, then JimmyG 2nd.  I'm not overpaying for them, I think the Pats could hold firm on their offer and get one of the two, specially Mariota since he has a cap hit of $11M which they may not want to pay, for a backup.  As for JimmyG, I don't buy the Lynch story of him being their QB.  that means, we could set that market too.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 08:01:59 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
My only concern is Belichick. This isn't going to be "the year" for the team, thus, we get stopgaps and maybe a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd round.

College QB evaluations are very difficult, look at all of the misses that bad teams have suffered through.

Here's all the QB's Bill has drafted since taking over long ago...

2000, Round 6, Pick 199: Tom Brady, Michigan
2002, Round 4, Pick 117: Rohan Davey, LSU
2003, Round 6, Pick 201: Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech
2005, Round 7, Pick 205: Matt Cassel, USC
2008, Round 3, Pick 94: Kevin O'Connell, San Diego State
2009 undrafted, Brian Hoyer Michigan State
2010, Round 7, Pick 250: Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State
2011, Round 3, Pick 74: Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
2014, Round 2, Pick 64: Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
2016, Round 3, Pick 91: Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina State
2018, Round 7, Pick 219: Danny Etling, LSU
2019, Round 4, Pick 133: Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

An interesting mix...one, however is missing?
2009 Round 7, pick: 232 Julian Edelman..still has the record for total offense as QB at Kent State.

This might be the one year where Bill spends a high pick for a QB, but, the odds aren't good. Jimmy G at the very end of the 2nd round is as high as Bill has ever gone.

This year in the later rounds:

Ian Book Notre Dame 49 TD 9 int (JR/SR years)
Shane Buechele SMU 23 TD 6 int ( SR year)
Brady White Memphis 64 TD 21 int (SR/JR year)

Bill might look at one of these guys, I don't live in Nantucket so I don't know. The reason for Jimmy G was he can get the ball out fast and still can....one of the quickest in the NFL.

Don't see Bill "paying" for a veteran QB though...he wouldn't pay Brady why would be pay Trubisky?

Cam Newton and his injured shoulder is unable to throw screen passes, quick outs, pops into the end zone etc. Imagine being the opposing defensive coordinator and knowing the above? Talk about being able to simplify your defensive game plan.

Personally, I like Jones as a player who might translate into the NFL. If he drops? Bill might pick him in the 2nd round and add him to his C- record drafting SEC QB's.

Bill does "bring guys back" now and then and Brissett will be inexpensive and quick to pick up the Patriot's system if he's available.

There was a rumor of the Patriots inquiring about Bridgewater, but, Bill is thorough with his smokescreens.

The only veteran backup QB Bill truly wants next year? Vinny Testaverde, age 58. Vinny played with 8 NFL teams in his 20 year career, (including in Cleveland with Bill) talk about knowing everybody else's playbook?

Brady 681 TD 181 INT
Testaverde 275 TD 267 INT

I think the later round QB I have my eyes on is Jamie Newman our of WF/UGA.  That said, are we giving up on Stid?  The kid was going into year two last year, but then had no camp or off season program.  I still believe he could be very good.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 08:03:35 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
For draft it depends on who is available. The team is so bad it needs to take BPA no matter position. If no QB fits look for a trade. Don't rely on FA or you might as well be ready for Cam.

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 12:05:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Alex Smith is available.  Waived by Washington today.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2021, 12:19:40 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Alex Smith is available.  Waived by Washington today.

I would roll the dice on him. He’s a decent passer and makes good decisions. I like Fitzpatrick as a bridge QB too, but Ryan is 38, Alex Is 36.  Would take Smith everyday of the week over Cam, Winston, and Mariotta.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:43:12 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2021, 09:00:46 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Pats to sign Cam Newton...SMH

$14M on a 1 year deal. Almost just threw up.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31050277/sources-qb-cam-newton-returning-new-england-patriots-1-year-deal
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2021, 01:31:23 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Not a lot going on the in the NBA world right now, so I thought I’d bump Triboys thread.

What do you think the Pats should do at the QB spot at this point? Cam looked decent in two preseason games, but has only played 2 quarters. Mac has played more and he looked good as well, seems ready to me. The two are really close... should it be Cams job to lose or should the Pats let Mac take the reins now?

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2021, 01:42:00 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I can't remember where I saw the take, but it was an argument to start Mac.

Mac is the future of this team. He is a "pro ready" quarterback. If he is going to have growing pains when starting, he will have them now or when he starts 6 games from now. We should try to get those pains out of the way early, as our roster is loaded. Better to get the pains out of the way so we can utilize the roster with Mac. That is where the ceiling of this team is.
#JKJB

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2021, 01:47:03 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I haven't really watched much of the preseason games so far. I know Cam started both games, which I assume would mean he also played with the potential starting unit. Has Jones played with those same starters on offense, or has he been playing with more of a mixed unit by the time he comes in? If it's the latter, then Bill should start Jones next week, to get a better feel for who has better control of the offense.

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2021, 01:51:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'm eating crow

Jones is really impressive for a rookie QB

still early but he looks great from the pocket

dare I say it is.....esque

well yesterday it looked like it

He will hit a TD sooner or later