Author Topic: Is signing a near max player the best way to develop Tatum and Brown?  (Read 2891 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I hate the probable loss of Horford.  Not just for the top 4 seed in the east level he would provide the team, but the fit where he opens up space that allows Tatum and Brown to grow. 

I look at a lot of the suggested signings, but I don't see the advantage that helps those two the space on the floor to grow.  The Celtics do not need a ball dominant guard at near max.   They do not need a low post threat at near max. 

The Celtics need the floor stretching big man.  Think a Brook Lopez (at a one to two year average salary) 

A vet PF that could start but those young Celtics PF have a chance to challenge. 

A pass first PG that comes off the bench. 

With that said, I would still try to resign Rozier on a short term deal.   Let see if he fits with Brown and Tatum as he showed two years ago or just as a trade piece.   

I want the Celtics to be good, but I am against spending near max money for "good" players instead of "near star to star" players.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If we could land the 30 year old version of Al we signed three years ago I'd be all for it. I just don't see that player out there.

I agree that I don't think the C's should rush to spend long term money this off season if Kyrie/Horford leave.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hand the keys to the kids and bring him vets that will complement them.  See if they can development into the alphas you hoped they'd be.  I don't think you need to go out there now and bring in a star.  Build around Tatum & Brown and work to find guys that will fit around them being the focal points.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I really don't want any part of Rozier. Imagine him on the QO, probably be complaining all year about how many touches the Jays/Hayward got if he doesn't regain his 2018 playoff form.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No. None of the expensive FAs that are likely to be available this summer are worth going after.

Danny should use the cap space to either add an asset or sign a few veterans to short term deals in order to provide better structure around Tatum and brown.  E.g. Cory Joseph, Ed Davis, Farouq Aminu
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I really don't want any part of Rozier. Imagine him on the QO, probably be complaining all year about how many touches the Jays/Hayward got if he doesn't regain his 2018 playoff form.
Yeah, with no Horford to hide his complete inability to make plays for others I am happy to wave goodbye to Terry. Go scare another fanbase
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

He is not my favorite but I think he has more value at a 2 year Smart level contract then what else they could sign at that value. 

Either he fits well with Tatum and Brown like a year ago or he is a trade asset. 

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

He is not my favorite but I think he has more value at a 2 year Smart level contract then what else they could sign at that value. 

Either he fits well with Tatum and Brown like a year ago or he is a trade asset.
I just worry he's going to require more years/money than I'd like to return.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Oh, I am not saying 5 year 18-20 per year.

More like a 2 year 12-15 per year. 

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'd rather try and bring in a heady veteran like Darren Collison who won't cause any issues
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Is signing a near max player the best way to develop Tatum and Brown?
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 10:49:15 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'd rather try and bring in a heady veteran like Darren Collison who won't cause any issues

Yeah, I'd prefer a seasoned veteran over Rozier at this point.  Someone more understanding of their role.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 10:51:17 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I could care less about developing Tatum and Brown. I just want to be a good team.

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 10:53:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I could care less about developing Tatum and Brown. I just want to be a good team.

And Tatum and Brown developing is the best way for the Celtics having a good team.   Putting players around that maximizes their skill is the best way for the Celtics to have a good team.

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

That ship has sailed.

Do you want the Celts to commit a bunch of money to be a solid 7 or 8 seed?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 12:03:14 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Conley would perfect for Tatum and Brown, thou his contract and health concerns me.