Author Topic: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball  (Read 13820 times)

I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball
« on: January 21, 2021, 05:09:10 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm sorry he is not a good basketball player. He has very low IQ (shot selection, committing dumb fouls etc) and other than the occasional steal/charge he brings nothing to the table. If i were Ainge i would trade this guy for anyone. Addition by subtraction. I've had enough of him in a Celtics uniform. I'm posting this the day after he supposedly had a "good game" as well.

Re: I hate watching Marcus Smart play basketball
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 05:22:24 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Celtics opponents also hate watching him play 🤣

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 05:26:36 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Honestly since he got here, he has been on the court for 99% of the Celtic's highest pressure end of game plays.

The guy is wild card and each card has two sides.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 05:38:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
 I feel sorry for you.

I love watching Marcus and hope he's a Celtic for life.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 06:09:38 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
Celtics opponents also hate watching him play 🤣

They probably love it when he calls his own number which is often.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 06:14:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 07:25:36 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
It does not suck to watch Smart put everything he has into every game and leave it all on the floor- always. He hates to lose and his passion on the floor demonstrates that without hesitation. I hope Smart stays with us for many more years. If we had 15 players with his heart and talent, we would be unstoppable but you cannot teach passion and fire to everyone. You either have it or you don’t. You cannot win a title without a few like him as well.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 08:20:10 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It does not suck to watch Smart put everything he has into every game and leave it all on the floor- always. He hates to lose and his passion on the floor demonstrates that without hesitation. I hope Smart stays with us for many more years. If we had 15 players with his heart and talent, we would be unstoppable but you cannot teach passion and fire to everyone. You either have it or you don’t. You cannot win a title without a few like him as well.

Very well put, I fully agree. I love Marcus Smart. If we had 12 Marcus Smarts we would be the best team in the league.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 08:38:46 PM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Honestly since he got here, he has been on the court for 99% of the Celtic's highest pressure end of game plays.

This pretty much sums up Smart’s game. It’s just a mixed bag really, and you just have to take the good with the bad. I love his passion and intensity, it’s just that sometimes he thinks of himself as a professional scorer and that’s when his game unravels. Those ill advised threes are really annoying.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 08:46:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Before this turns into too much of a Marcus Smart love-fest, I will first say that I don't agree with the OP - I do enjoy watching him play - but I don't love him as a primary ball-handler or in a scoring role. He should pretty much always be like the 4th option on offense as a spot-up shooter or as a cutter. I understand he has a unique passing ability, but he can't help but try to make the homerun pass. He just takes too many dumb shots and makes too many dumb passes to be a positive in a lead role.

As a defender, he's exactly who you want on the floor in almost every way. I have no idea how he always manages to grab all ball when a defender is going full speed at him. He is also super-clutch on that end of the floor...weirdly so.

I don't necessarily want to trade him, but I wouldn't call him untouchable either. I cringe at the thought of paying him $20M+/yr after next season and fear that's what it might take with a losing team wanting to change their culture.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:57:36 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 09:20:15 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton

I will gladly trade passion and fire for basketball skill and high intelligence. It's my opinion that Smart has the lowest basketball IQ on this team. He thinks he is Kyrie with the shots he takes. It's insanity.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2021, 09:33:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I will gladly trade passion and fire for basketball skill and high intelligence. It's my opinion that Smart has the lowest basketball IQ on this team. He thinks he is Kyrie with the shots he takes. It's insanity.

Smart has very good basketball IQ. The problem is that sometimes his emotions, which are a core part of his competitiveness that makes him great, override his basketball IQ.

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 09:39:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Smart has very good basketball IQ. The problem is that sometimes his emotions, which are a core part of his competitiveness that makes him great, override his basketball IQ.
TP. Exactly right.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 10:12:52 PM »

Offline wikkid1

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3

This pretty much sums up Smart’s game. It’s just a mixed bag really, and you just have to take the good with the bad. I love his passion and intensity, it’s just that sometimes he thinks of himself as a professional scorer and that’s when his game unravels. Those ill advised threes are really annoying.

Spot-on assessment.  Do I wish he had a better shot selection?  Hell yes!  Do I wish he’d shut his yap at times instead of getting technical fouls?  For sure.   Still, I’d rather take the good about his game and focus on that because I think it overrides the bad.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 12:00:08 AM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
I think he could use a change of scenery.  He has reached his ceiling so Im pretty sure Ainge can get fair value without worrying it will come back to haunt us.    Plays hard, just is very limited.