Author Topic: Would you be interested in a "global" World Series?  (Read 2463 times)

Would you be interested in a "global" World Series?
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:47:28 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
he U.S. and Japanese baseball champions could meet in a Global World Series, Japanese daily Nikkan Sports reported Thursday.

Nippon Professional Baseball commissioner Ryozo Kato was quoted as saying his Major League Baseball counterpart, Bud Selig, had agreed the winners of the two countries' professional leagues should play each other.

"I was surprised, Mr. Selig said he wants to realize the plan before his tenure ends," Kato told the Nikkan Sports.

Selig is set to retire in 2012.

I don't see this as anything more than a novelty.  I mean, if the MLB club took the games seriously, I can't imagine they'd lose.  I do, however, think that there would be some griping from the clubs and from the player's union.  What team wants to play another series of games after winning a title?

I guess I could see this as something done in spring training, but ultimately, I think it would prove more disruptive than interesting.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Would you be interested in a "global" World Series?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 10:50:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
As a legitimate, competitive series?  I don't know.

I really don't think MLB players would have any interest after going through the arduous MLB season & post-season, to turn around and travel back and forth to Japan to play in another series. 

My guess is that the player's union would squash this.  I don't really forsee anything more that the possibility of an exhibition perhaps the following spring training or something.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team