Author Topic: ET now looking like a #2 pick?  (Read 7154 times)

Re: ET now looking like a #2 pick?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 11:12:30 PM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Tonight he almost had another triple double.   He has been making clutch shots after clutch shots these days.

he also had 7 or 8 turnovers

his passing is just not good enough at times - especially if he has to deliver to a cutting big. Also his D is below avg. He seems to be a nice guy and plays as hard as everyone does on this team but in a contending team I rather don't have to bank on him.

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 11:15:43 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Yeah! Actually, he looks uncannily like this guy, a #2 pick a few years ago!

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Evan Turner since the all-star break:  11 points 7 assists, 6 rebounds, 1.2 steals, 43%/25%/74% - 31.2mpg

Better numbers than Rondo

Ahaha, TP for the laugh. ;D While we're at it - eff Obama (sarcasm). ;) ;D

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 11:19:01 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Love ET but no. Especially considering the draft that he was in. Taken after John Wall. Taken before Demarcus Cousins, Paul George, Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward, and Greg Monroe to name a few.

Not to take anything away from him. He was a great find.

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 11:19:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He looks like someone who's playing hard and tries to play the game the right way, but the deficiencies are still there (no reliable outside shot, occasionally shaky decision-making, lack of a refined go-to offensive move; not great defensively).

Regardless, he's well worth keeping. I'd like him back after next season.

He is already signed for next season on a ridiculous cheap deal
See highlighted part.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 11:22:28 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Evan Turner is a guy with a lot of talent but shockingly low BBall IQ.  Most guys with that combination are flakes or headcases who torture you for years with the thought they'll figure it out someday.  ET, though, seems like a pretty solid and coachable dude.

The question with ET is what is going to happen when the Celts get better players and Stevens doesn't let him dominate the ball as much. 

Mike

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2015, 12:23:51 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
He has been good value for his paycheck.

He really needs a jumper if he wants to play for a competitor. Maybe this is what Ginobili would look like with no J.

He should continue to be a bargain for us next season under Stevens.

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 12:29:41 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Turner gives you an effort every night, does a lot of little things well and isn't big on style points vs just making solid plays.  I also think people are (for now anyway) totally overlooking the way Brad Stevens seems to bring out the best in many if not most of his players.  Turner is probably Exhibit A of this.  He's been playing great and is often in the center of things late in games where this team has been excellent of late.

But when you look at who was taken after him in the draft, no he has not (even this season) lived up to what's expected of a #2 overall pick.  But so what.  He's a keeper for next season, especially with his current contract. 

However would I be willing to spend major money to extend him and make him a cornerstone of the team?  No.

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 12:36:56 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Evan Turner is a guy with a lot of talent but shockingly low BBall IQ.  Most guys with that combination are flakes or headcases who torture you for years with the thought they'll figure it out someday.  ET, though, seems like a pretty solid and coachable dude.

The question with ET is what is going to happen when the Celts get better players and Stevens doesn't let him dominate the ball as much. 

Mike

He'll be waived or traded. He's a stop gap guy. Put him on a contender and he'll disappear because he won't be trusted late in games.

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 01:40:02 AM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
He can dominate coming from the bench. The minutes I saw him together with Isaiah on offense were pretty good, actually. Problem is with those two we'll probably get scored on every possession.

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 04:54:31 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I wouldn't say he is looking like 2nd pick
Considering the talent drafted behind him
Monroe, favors, cousins, Hayward, Paul George and Bledsoe all drafted behind him

However, he has improved slightly
But he doesn't necessarily do any one skill well enough and high potential to be considered as a long term SF

I don't see him being a long term SF for our future

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 05:39:41 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
I wouldn't say he is looking like 2nd pick
Considering the talent drafted behind him
Monroe, favors, cousins, Hayward, Paul George and Bledsoe all drafted behind him

However, he has improved slightly
But he doesn't necessarily do any one skill well enough and high potential to be considered as a long term SF

I don't see him being a long term SF for our future

Looking at the guys on the 2010 draft, he is somewhere in the 7th - 11th spot. I think ET brings a ton of value to our team since smart is not a ball dominant PG and is not able to create shots off the dribble at this point. His value drops dramatically when IT is on the floor, but he is a very serviceable 7th-8th guy on a good team and a home run bargain considering what he cost us (nothing...)

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 06:02:53 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He's playing to his strengths as a point forward/distributor.
He's still a turnover machine and a minor liability defending the perimeter but for $4 million he's worth every cent.
He should be some nice trade bait this off season which is (what I think ) Danny's plan was for him all along- similarly to Thomas. Very good value for the money.

Ehh I wouldn't take it that far. His versatility is no doubt impressive but he's still weak defensively and his jumper isn't nearly consistent enough to say he's a starter on a title team

I think he is actually a very good on ball defender , Tommy even mentioned how impressive his defense has been this year .

He tries hard and has some nice tools (7 ft wingspan) to get his man working hard

Not sure how he decided to come play for the Celts on a major discount but it has worked out for everyone.

He must be happy to be finally playing in the playoffs for once

http://www.nba.com/playoffs/2012/eastseries5/

He's been to the playoffs before, against us in 2012.
Turner was chucking them at his finest. So was Spencer Hawes.
Doug Hollins did a great job with that crappy team.

Here's some photos from game 2 when they beat us at home

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:35:30 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 07:47:47 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
He's not a SF..... He's a PG.

And he's playing far above his confract.

He will sign somewhede for a lot more then 3mil next off season.

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2015, 08:04:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
We kinda need a taller ball handler and he isn't afraid to take the play inside and attack the painted area.  Always upbeat , not a dirty player ,  and sorta funny dude.   I laugh at his goofy smile ....think he is a good fellow.

Basically he has a dud play or looks bad a few plays , then hits or makes a huge play for the team when they need it most at crunch time.

Like him on the cheap. ....no hurry to run him off yet.