Author Topic: Boston Atlanta Memphis blockbuster idea  (Read 5694 times)

Re: Boston Atlanta Memphis blockbuster idea
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 05:42:08 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Boston would have to do it. Conley is a lesser pG, but a much better shooter, which helps with spacing, and the C's have some premier sharers at SF with Pierce and KG at PF/C. Horford's above average too. And the upgrade from current frontcourt to KG/Horford is tremendous. Horford is 26 with consistently 18+ PER and good defense. If this trade were to occur, we'd have Horford, Conley, Sully, Melo, Lee and Green signed for the '15-'16 seasons for about 41.3 million, plus whatever for Bradley. Dumping Lee/Green sometime in between and signing Bradley reasonably would likely allow for a Conley/Bradley/??/Sully/Horford w/ Melo roster plus room for a max type contract.

(this is why signing a guy for 4 yrs 36 million just because "we were over the cap anyway" in year 1 of the deal is terrible logic, btw).

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
TP for nice trade idea....I think Memphis says no, unless they're given a pick.  To me it helps Boston's chances this year, as explained below, though it might downgrade them a bit for the future depending on Fab's potential, which is up in the air.  Yeah, I'd call it a future downgrade if I had to guess on Rondo and Fab verses Conley and Horford.

Boston gives up the best player, but filling the position of need with a guy like  Horford, especially considering Conley's general solidity, makes it doable if thinking solely about this year.  That's because imo Boston's issue with Miami is entirely about energy.  When there's gas in the tank we're the better team, the problem is the gas.  This trade helps address that issue by allowing us to remain viable while KG gets precious rest.  Also takes pressure off KG and allows him to go nuts when he's on the floor (yes even KG has a high gear...call it 4th and 5th if you want).  I would hope the C's would sign a solid backup PG after completing the deal.

If the Hawks want to keep Josh Smith and go after Dwight Howard, this is the right trade for them. 

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Boston would have to do it. Conley is a lesser pG, but a much better shooter, which helps with spacing, and the C's have some premier sharers at SF with Pierce and KG at PF/C. Horford's above average too. And the upgrade from current frontcourt to KG/Horford is tremendous. Horford is 26 with consistently 18+ PER and good defense. If this trade were to occur, we'd have Horford, Conley, Sully, Melo, Lee and Green signed for the '15-'16 seasons for about 41.3 million, plus whatever for Bradley. Dumping Lee/Green sometime in between and signing Bradley reasonably would likely allow for a Conley/Bradley/??/Sully/Horford w/ Melo roster plus room for a max type contract.

(this is why signing a guy for 4 yrs 36 million just because "we were over the cap anyway" in year 1 of the deal is terrible logic, btw).

I had melo to Atlanta. He's not a deal breaker to me bc the impact of his value, if he has any, would be felt so far down the road that pierce and kg would be gone.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
TP for nice trade idea....I think Memphis says no, unless they're given a pick.  To me it helps Boston's chances this year, as explained below, though it might downgrade them a bit for the future depending on Fab's potential, which is up in the air.  Yeah, I'd call it a future downgrade if I had to guess on Rondo and Fab verses Conley and Horford.

Boston gives up the best player, but filling the position of need with a guy like  Horford, especially considering Conley's general solidity, makes it doable if thinking solely about this year.  That's because imo Boston's issue with Miami is entirely about energy.  When there's gas in the tank we're the better team, the problem is the gas.  This trade helps address that issue by allowing us to remain viable while KG gets precious rest.  Also takes pressure off KG and allows him to go nuts when he's on the floor (yes even KG has a high gear...call it 4th and 5th if you want).  I would hope the C's would sign a solid backup PG after completing the deal.

If the Hawks want to keep Josh Smith and go after Dwight Howard, this is the right trade for them.

I don't think Ainge would let a late pick in this upcoming draft be the deal breaker in a move of this magnitude. Assuming he was all in to do it, which he would have to be if he's moving rondo.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 06:11:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Not enough value for Rondo for me. I would need someone with more star quality than Conley coming back in a trade where Horford is the main attraction in a trade for Rondo.  Too large a drop-off in individual talent.

Horford is a very good player but Rondo is a guy who can define a playoff series. Like Rondo did against Miami last year, against Cleveland before that and terrific performances against New York the year before that and Chicago a few years ago. I have never seen Horford lead a charge like Rondo has in a playoff series.

I think it's an excellent deal for Atlanta. Rondo is a much better piece to build around than Horford.

Not sure about Memphis. I haven't watched much of Atlanta this season. I don't enjoy watching that team play. I understand he is playing better this season but from what i have seen of Teague, I am not convinced by him. I am don't think Teague is good enough to make it worthwhile parting with a strong starting point guard like Mike Conley. Jason Terry is a nice piece but not good enough to make up that difference. A Teague + Terry backcourt combo is ridiculously small.

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2013, 06:17:17 PM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.
Not enough value for Rondo for me. I would need someone with more star quality than Conley coming back in a trade where Horford is the main attraction in a trade for Rondo.  Too large a drop-off in individual talent.

Horford is a very good player but Rondo is a guy who can define a playoff series. Like Rondo did against Miami last year, against Cleveland before that and terrific performances against New York the year before that and Chicago a few years ago. I have never seen Horford lead a charge like Rondo has in a playoff series.

I think it's an excellent deal for Atlanta. Rondo is a much better piece to build around than Horford.

Not sure about Memphis. I haven't watched much of Atlanta this season. I don't enjoy watching that team play. I understand he is playing better this season but from what i have seen of Teague, I am not convinced by him. I am don't think Teague is good enough to make it worthwhile parting with a strong starting point guard like Mike Conley. Jason Terry is a nice piece but not good enough to make up that difference. A Teague + Terry backcourt combo is ridiculously small.

Pretty much this.

The only things that would make me want to do this deal though would be the awesome defense of Conley and Bradley and the dominance of a KG-Horford front court.

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 06:54:13 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
If I'm trading Rondo it'd hopefully be in a blowing up move. I don't think Pierce and KG would react well to Rondo being shipped off.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 07:07:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I think Horford could alter a playoff series if he was on a team that made him the focus and that wasn't forcing him to play center so much.  He is a much better power forward, especially defensively.  And you also get Conley who is also a very good young player.  And while Conley isn't as good as Rondo, I think he is a better fit for this team as he is a much better all around offensive player and is still a pretty solid defender.  Not the play maker of Rondo, but frankly the Boston system seems to work almost better without Rondo on the floor when the team keeps it moving.  Conley would actually be better in that system.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 07:20:40 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Horford was incredibly close to altering our first round series last year... We had some fortunate events that allowed us to escape that game 6 in Boston with a win.

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 08:18:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not enough value for the C's.  Rondo can be absolutely spectacular/dominant in the playoffs.  While I'm a big Horford fan and would love to have him, he's not on Rondo's level.  Conley, not close to Rondo's level. 

I'd pass on this one without more coming back to the C's for what they're giving up.