Author Topic: All Star Reserves  (Read 10901 times)

All Star Reserves
« on: January 26, 2024, 01:36:01 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 554
My prediction for reserves:

East
FC:Brown, Randle, Adebayo
G: Brunson, Mitchell
WC: Maxey, Banchero

Only one I'm questionable on is the final WC. Probably one of Banchero/Barnes/Butler/White/Porzingis/Young, all have a legit case. Barnes and Young team records are bad, Butler and Porzingis have missed some games. So I'd guess White or Banchero.

West
FC: Kawhi, Sabonis, Davis
G: Curry, Edwards
WC: Booker, Fox

The west is REALLY hard. You could argue for Markkanen, Senguin, Zion, Ingram, Gobert, Towns, George even Wemby and probably others I'm forgetting in really any order. Kawhi, Curry, Edwards and Davis are the only ones I'm sure make it.

What do you guys think? Who makes it? Anybody you are 100% convinced HAS TO MAKE IT.

Re: All Star Reserves
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 02:23:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
My prediction for reserves:

East
FC:Brown, Randle, Adebayo
G: Brunson, Mitchell
WC: Maxey, Banchero

Only one I'm questionable on is the final WC. Probably one of Banchero/Barnes/Butler/White/Porzingis/Young, all have a legit case. Barnes and Young team records are bad, Butler and Porzingis have missed some games. So I'd guess White or Banchero.

West

The west is REALLY hard. You could argue for Markkanen, Senguin, Zion, Ingram, Gobert, Towns, George even Wemby and probably others I'm forgetting in really any order. Kawhi, Curry, Edwards and Davis are the only ones I'm sure make it.

What do you guys think? Who makes it? Anybody you are 100% convinced HAS TO MAKE IT.

Unfortunately I think the Porzingas injury last night probably knocked him out of consideration. From a stats perspective I think Davis deserves to make it and has played really well this year with a bit more consistency and health. That being said how common is it for a .500 team to get 2 players in, especially when the conference is absolutely loaded. I would be a lot more inclined to reward a team wildly exceeding expectations like the Twolves a second all-star.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 02:31:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd put KP in, but these things can be so stats-centric.  Porzingis is outside the top-50 (barely) in scoring, and tied for 46th in rebounding.  I hope he gets rewarded, but I don't think he will.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 02:53:58 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
I'd put KP in, but these things can be so stats-centric.  Porzingis is outside the top-50 (barely) in scoring, and tied for 46th in rebounding.  I hope he gets rewarded, but I don't think he will.

Ya its tough, i think on a per minute basis he deserves it. But when they are a lot of worthy candidates and you've missed 12 games (and maybe more coming up) its tough.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 02:57:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

Ya its tough, i think on a per minute basis he deserves it. But when they are a lot of worthy candidates and you've missed 12 games (and maybe more coming up) its tough.
he is also the 3rd player on the team, which makes it even harder to justify
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 03:16:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

While I agree, it seems like there's quite a bit of precedent for having three, and even four, all-stars from the same team. 

Maybe there are just more guys putting up gaudy stats than in the past, meaning the reduced statistical contributions of a 3rd or 4th player on a top contender don't look as impressive. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 03:20:09 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I wonder if younger guys like Barnes, Sengun, and Banchero will be penalized in favor of vets. I'm sure the NBA would like to have as many young guys as possible.

In the East, the 6th guard spot comes down to Trae Young vs Derrick White. Young had way more votes, he scores a ton, but not a winning team.

The 6th front court spot is KP vs Bam vs Banchero.  Assuming Tatum, Brown, Giannis, Embiid, and Randle. Maybe Randle isn't a sure thing but I feel like he is in. I think Bam is 6th. No Jimmy.

West frontcourt, does Sengun get in over Sabonis and Paul George?  Would the Clippers get 3 guys in?

Backcourt in West Shai, Luka, Steph, Fox, Ant, Harden. I think Booker gets left out unless they go with 7 guards and only 5 frontcourt. So Booker would have to beat out Sengun, George, and Sabonis.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 03:58:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2423
West

I'd put Sengun in over Sabonis. I like Sengun's game better. Better defense. Better at creating his own offense. Doesn't disappear as often as Sabonis does as a scorer. Sabonis is a non-entity on defense. Sabonis is a better passer but Sengun is no slouch himself.

I'd drop Booker. Enough guards. I'd go with Markkanen over him.

I am on board with the other dudes.

Edit: Dang. Booker's stats are actually darn impressive. I thought he missed more games than he has. It always felt like their Big Three was missing until recently. But he has played 35 of 44 games. Not bad. 27ppg 7.5apg 49% FG% 38% 3PT% 88% FT% 61% TS%. A near 3:1 AST:TO ratio as a quasi-PG playmaking SG.

Okay, keep him in. Leave out Markkanen. Sorry Lauri.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2024, 04:02:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The Celtics have a 3 game cushion over every other team (Eastern and Western Conference).  They deserve 3 All Stars.  The 3rd should be either Porzingis or White.  I think Zinger deserves it more, but would not be surprised given media campaign that White lands it.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2024, 04:08:18 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
The Celtics have a 3 game cushion over every other team (Eastern and Western Conference).  They deserve 3 All Stars.  The 3rd should be either Porzingis or White.  I think Zinger deserves it more, but would not be surprised given media campaign that White lands it.

Porzingis has also missed more than a quarter of his games.  White’s reliability is one of the things that makes him so good.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2024, 04:15:29 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
West

I'd put Sengun in over Sabonis. I like Sengun's game better. Better defense. Better at creating his own offense. Doesn't disappear as often as Sabonis does as a scorer. Sabonis is a non-entity on defense. Sabonis is a better passer but Sengun is no slouch himself.

I'd drop Booker. Enough guards. I'd go with Markkanen over him.

I am on board with the other dudes.

Edit: Dang. Booker's stats are actually darn impressive. I thought he missed more games than he has. It always felt like their Big Three was missing until recently. But he has played 35 of 44 games. Not bad. 27ppg 7.5apg 49% FG% 38% 3PT% 88% FT% 61% TS%. A near 3:1 AST:TO ratio as a quasi-PG playmaking SG.

Okay, keep him in. Leave out Markkanen. Sorry Lauri.

It's tough. There are going to be a few guys having awesome seasons in the West that get left out.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2024, 04:17:12 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

While I agree, it seems like there's quite a bit of precedent for having three, and even four, all-stars from the same team. 

Maybe there are just more guys putting up gaudy stats than in the past, meaning the reduced statistical contributions of a 3rd or 4th player on a top contender don't look as impressive.

The league is deeper with top end talent then ever.

The way I'd put it is this: IF KP makes it the selection would be well deserved. But if he doesn't I wouldn't classify it as a snub.

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 04:25:38 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213

With the Bucks getting 2 starters, it would feel like a snub if we just get a starter and a reserve.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2024, 04:29:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Minnesota and OKC are both probably getting only 1. Sengun might make it, but far from a given.

Zinger is the 3rd player on his team and he doesn't have the stats or games played to make it over a whole bunch of guys. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 04:39:15 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2024, 10:54:13 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
Miami having 2 All Stars is a joke.