Author Topic: Rolling Expirings  (Read 789 times)

Rolling Expirings
« on: July 20, 2013, 02:55:09 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I am no expert on the CBA, and I'll preface that I don't understand all the changes from the last CB to the current one, bu there is a topic i want to talk about that is important to our rebuild: Rolling Expirings.

This is a term i just made up for always having an expiring contract. It is very hard to get below the cap by enough to sign a max guy, let alone do it as still be kind of good. So it is much easier to trade an expiring max contract with some picks or cheap assets for a star on a max contract. This is nothing new.

Look at how we got Ray and KG. we had Theo and Wally as expirings. But How did we get Theo? We traded Raef Lafrentz for him because Raef was going to expire and we would get nothing.

So my point is that if Ainge cant trade Hump with some assets for a star, look for him to "roll over" the expiring. Maybe Hump at the deadline for a max bad contract player with an extra year and a pick.

The Celtics cn afford to hold 2 bad contracts and stay right below the cap while the showcase players, make trades to increase assets and sign cheap guys with potential.

Another option if we want to keep Hump(albiet for less money) is to trade Bass Lee and some filler for a max contract with 2 years on it. We just need to make sure that every year we have an expiring max contract to offer. What would suck is if someone really good is on the trading block and we have the picks and young assets but no way to match salary without giving a bad contract (many years)

Re: Rolling Expirings
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 03:33:20 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think there are no worthy max guys next year (not buying the all these players opting out), so maybe we would be wise to find a way to roll it over.

But just for clarification, Raef wasn't an expiring. Portland ate his awful contract (which had multiple years left) because we included the #7 pick (Randy Foye) that they swapped with Minnesota for Brandon Roy. We got him not only to match salaries, but had a year less in his contract (I surmise he had 2 years left and Raef had 3).

But yeah, don't go blow our cap space on someone not worth it. Either roll over the expirings or sign guys on 1 year deals. The year after next Rondo and Bass come off, so we could definitely sign 2 max guys if we only have Green/Wallace/Lee/rookie contracts on the books, assuming Lee and Wallace are still here (which I would be surprised if they are in 2 years).
CELTICS 2024

Re: Rolling Expirings
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 03:56:53 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!