Poll

It's the Summer of 2019 (or sometime in the future, like 2020 Trade Deadline). AD rejects the supermax deal, and wants out. Pelicans taking offers for AD but they 100% want Tatum from the Celtics in the deal. Would you (Ainge) still do it?

Yes
61 (59.8%)
No
24 (23.5%)
I Don't Know (Yet)
17 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: If needed, should Ainge actually put Tatum in package for AD? Nope, walk away.  (Read 23798 times)

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I would trade Tatum for Davis too.

Now I'm gonna wait for all those pitchforks to go after me. How dare I trade one of our best and young wing player for the best big man in the NBA.  ???
I think the only grounds for concern over moving Tatum is that AD could up and leave. Even so, it's almost impossible to make any other argument against the move. Tatum has a very small chance of ever being as good as AD is now, if any chance

This is clearly right, but a lot of folks have trouble swallowing it.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Now I'm gonna wait for all those pitchforks to go after me. How dare I trade one of our best and young wing player for the best big man in the NBA.  ???
I think the only grounds for concern over moving Tatum is that AD could up and leave. Even so, it's almost impossible to make any other argument against the move. Tatum has a very small chance of ever being as good as AD is now, if any chance

I not sure that people wouldn't make the deal in vacuum.  The primary concerns I've seen expressed are:
1. AD's health issues -- injured more than you'd like your superstar player to be. 
2. Ability to resign AD after his current deal ends
3. Volume of assets that would need to be included with Tatum in the deal.

1 and 2 are not enough to preclude a deal IMO.  I think AD's health issues are a bit overblown and I have little doubt Danny would get him to resign with Boston after his current deal ends. 

3 is a concern though.  If the C's have to gut their team of depth and give up lots of picks so they cannot replenish with young, cost-controlled talent, that could be a reasonable deal breaker.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

I not sure that people wouldn't make the deal in vacuum.  The primary concerns I've seen expressed are:
1. AD's health issues -- injured more than you'd like your superstar player to be. 

1 and 2 are not enough to preclude a deal IMO.  I think AD's health issues are a bit overblown and I have little doubt Danny would get him to resign with Boston after his current deal ends. 

3 is a concern though.  If the C's have to gut their team of depth and give up lots of picks so they cannot replenish with young, cost-controlled talent, that could be a reasonable deal breaker.

That third point is definitely a big deal. It isn't easy to make the money come out right for the trade without giving up a second player we would really miss, on top of the picks. Unless we can work some wizardry like a Terry Rozier sign and trade (which sounds really complicated and possibly unworkable) I think we would have no choice but to include Brown or Smart. Losing Tatum and Smart to NOP, then losing Morris, Theis, and TR to free agency, *and* dropping all our picks leaves me a little queasy.

I am not nearly capologist enough to figure this out, but I'm not sure how we carry four max guys in 2019-20 (Kyrie, Al, Hayward, and Davis) and then fill out the rest of our team. I guess Al could decline his final-year option in exchange for a longer deal, though I wonder how he would fit next to Davis. 

So there are issues.

I guess we are looking at Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Horford, and Davis, backed up by...? Semi Ojeleye, Time Lord, and the vet min brigade. I have to think Danny has a better plan than that, but I can't see it.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That third point is definitely a big deal. It isn't easy to make the money come out right for the trade without giving up a second player we would really miss, on top of the picks. Unless we can work some wizardry like a Terry Rozier sign and trade (which sounds really complicated and possibly unworkable) I think we would have no choice but to include Brown or Smart. Losing Tatum and Smart to NOP, then losing Morris, Theis, and TR to free agency, *and* dropping all our picks leaves me a little queasy.

I am not nearly capologist enough to figure this out, but I'm not sure how we carry four max guys in 2019-20 (Kyrie, Al, Hayward, and Davis) and then fill out the rest of our team. I guess Al could decline his final-year option in exchange for a longer deal, though I wonder how he would fit next to Davis. 

So there are issues.

I guess we are looking at Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Horford, and Davis, backed up by...? Semi Ojeleye, Time Lord, and the vet min brigade. I have to think Danny has a better plan than that, but I can't see it.

Nothing other than willingness to pay would stop us from bringing back Morris, Rozier, etc., and we’d still have the Taxpayer MLE.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
-Sees Pacers vs. Celtics Game-

Anthony Davis: "I'd trade myself for Tatum"  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Davis is starting to look like a guy who is injury prone now.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

So there are issues.

Nothing other than willingness to pay would stop us from bringing back Morris, Rozier, etc., and we’d still have the Taxpayer MLE.

That’s true. But we would be well north of $300 million to do that.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Who misses two weeks with a sprained finger?  That’s not even an “injury”.  That just seems wimpy.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

So there are issues.

That’s true. But we would be well north of $300 million to do that.

Money shouldn't be the issue. The issue should be winning a championship.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Who misses two weeks with a sprained finger?  That’s not even an “injury”.  That just seems wimpy.

Like what the hell did he do? Try 'uncapping' a soda can and sprain his finger?? And he's missing 2 weeks, a crucial 2 weeks that could determine if they make the playoffs (pretty tough schedule ahead).

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yes, Tatum is good but Davis is great.   Still, I would hate to see it.

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I'd trade him for draft picks...
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Thought it was a good idea to bump this since there's been a lot of AD talk going around. I'm still against it, but when you hear Tatum himself say "I'd trade myself for AD" and other rumors and reports popping up, you kind of get the feeling that's Ainge's master plan this summer: Bidding war for AD and be willing to flip Tatum if needed.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

Like what the hell did he do? Try 'uncapping' a soda can and sprain his finger?? And he's missing 2 weeks, a crucial 2 weeks that could determine if they make the playoffs (pretty tough schedule ahead).

He’s just trying to get traded to the Cs. When they miss the playoffs he’s forcing himself to Boston.  :o  8)

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Tatum, Brown, picks for AD and I wouldn’t think twice. Matching salary will be an issue but Ainge will figure it out.
CELTICS 2024