Poll

It's the Summer of 2019 (or sometime in the future, like 2020 Trade Deadline). AD rejects the supermax deal, and wants out. Pelicans taking offers for AD but they 100% want Tatum from the Celtics in the deal. Would you (Ainge) still do it?

Yes
61 (59.8%)
No
24 (23.5%)
I Don't Know (Yet)
17 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: If needed, should Ainge actually put Tatum in package for AD? Nope, walk away.  (Read 24528 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
My take on this now? No. Not unless there's legitimate belief and a handshake agreement that AD is willing to stay here long term.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Looks like the Lakers offer is Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Zubac and a first, though maybe not this year's first.

I think that means that besides picks we will absolutely need to trade Tatum and one of Smart or Brown, unless that Sacramento pick turns into a top 4 pick in which case maybe we are able to keep both Smart and Brown.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Looks like the Lakers offer is Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Zubac and a first, though maybe not this year's first.

I think that means that besides picks we will absolutely need to trade Tatum and one of Smart or Brown, unless that Sacramento pick turns into a top 4 pick in which case maybe we are able to keep both Smart and Brown.

Lets grade those assets against some likely assets that Boston will offer:

Jayson Tatum 5
Memphis pick 4
Sacramento pick 3
Terry Rozier 2
Robert Williams 2
LA Clippers pick 2
Boston pick 1
Package worth = 19 points

Kyle Kuzma 4
Brandon Ingram 4
Lonzo Ball 3
Ivica Zubac 3
LA Lakers pick 2
Package worth = 16 points

So that package is certainly not unbeatable.

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Jayson Tatum 5
Memphis pick 4
Sacramento pick 3
Terry Rozier 2
Robert Williams 2
LA Clippers pick 2
Boston pick 1

Kyle Kuzma 4
Brandon Ingram 4
Lonzo Ball 3
Ivica Zubac 3
LA Lakers pick 2

Yeah. I don't think Kuzma is a 4. He's the forward version of Jordan Clarkson. He's a gunner. He's a scorer. But he isn't particularly efficient, and isn't much else.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Jayson Tatum 5
Memphis pick 4
Sacramento pick 3
Terry Rozier 2
Robert Williams 2
LA Clippers pick 2
Boston pick 1

Kyle Kuzma 4
Brandon Ingram 4
Lonzo Ball 3
Ivica Zubac 3
LA Lakers pick 2

It's also worth questioning how the Pelicans value Kuzma and Ingram. Do either project to be all stars ever? They might not even be as good as you have them.

And that Memphis pick, if it rolls over, because it's position is totally unconnected to the success of the Celtics (acquiring AD) might be the most valuable pick any team in contention for AD could offer besides the Knicks offering up their own top pick this summer. That Memphis pick might be gold.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Jayson Tatum 5
Memphis pick 4
Sacramento pick 3
Terry Rozier 2
Robert Williams 2
LA Clippers pick 2
Boston pick 1

Kyle Kuzma 4
Brandon Ingram 4
Lonzo Ball 3
Ivica Zubac 3
LA Lakers pick 2

Yeah. I don't think Kuzma is a 4. He's the forward version of Jordan Clarkson. He's a gunner. He's a scorer. But he isn't particularly efficient, and isn't much else.

I didn't want to value the Lakers assets at the low end to avoid that discussion.

I agree with you that 3 points for Kuzma is actually enough. And me personally don't think Williams should be valued lower than Zubac.

Edit: I think the Lakers are out of the bidding war for Davis, like I thought from the start: the Knicks are the real threat!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:35:16 PM by RodyTur10 »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!

Jayson Tatum 5
Memphis pick 4
Sacramento pick 3
Terry Rozier 2
Robert Williams 2
LA Clippers pick 2
Boston pick 1

Kyle Kuzma 4
Brandon Ingram 4
Lonzo Ball 3
Ivica Zubac 3
LA Lakers pick 2

I actually think this is relatively spot on in terms of assessment. Personally I'd just put Ingram at 3 instead of 4, and if we were to add Jaylen Brown to this, he'd be 3. The key thing here though is that Tatum is the clear best asset between the two teams that could be offered. Not a stretch to think that Memphis Pick is similar in value to Kuzma as well. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
How are the Knicks a threat when they just gave up Porzingis and friends for Dennis Smith Jr. and add ons?

I don't see the Knicks being able to offer anything near the Celtics or Lakers given that Porzingis is now gone to Dallas.

If anything, I see the Knicks targetting free agency rather than trade targets now.

They could maybe go after Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard in free agency (if Kawhi doesn't resign with the Raptors).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:12:09 PM by vjcsmoke »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How are the Knicks a threat when they just gave up Porzingis and friends for Dennis Smith Jr. and add ons?

I don't see the Knicks being able to offer anything near the Celtics or Lakers given that Porzingis is now gone to Dallas.

It's a more unknown package, based upon draft picks and potential rather than on guys who have proven themselves.

But, this is a solid offer if the pick lands top three: 

2019 lottery pick
2021 NYK pick
2021 Dallas pick
2023 Dallas pick

Kevin Knox
Frank Ntilikina
Donald Smith Jr.

Ours is better, but it's a pipe dream to think we wouldn't need to include Tatum.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:28:26 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

If anything, I see the Knicks targetting free agency rather than trade targets now.

They could maybe go after Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard in free agency (if Kawhi doesn't resign with the Raptors).

Because Kevin Knox and DSJ are apparently now prime assets...or the assumption that a 14% chance at the top pick means they are definitely getting the top pick.

If they do somehow beat out the Cs (and others) for AD, then I would totally expect another max FA to join him...even though their entire roster would be stripped.

Or you can be the Cs and still be a legit playoff team without Kyrie or Hayward. We do need to beat the Knicks offer, though, because that is the only way I see Kyrie leaving - even if it's not totally likely.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Because Kevin Knox and DSJ are apparently now prime assets...or the assumption that a 14% chance at the top pick means they are definitely getting the top pick.

If they do somehow beat out the Cs (and others) for AD, then I would totally expect another max FA to join him...even though their entire roster would be stripped.

Or you can be the Cs and still be a legit playoff team without Kyrie or Hayward. We do need to beat the Knicks offer, though, because that is the only way I see Kyrie leaving - even if it's not totally likely.

Knox was a good pick by the Knicks he'll be valued by the Pelicans, but Smith Jr. is a throw in with possibly high potential.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Knox was a good pick by the Knicks he'll be valued by the Pelicans, but Smith Jr. is a throw in with possibly high potential.

I didn't mean to indicate that Knox and DSJ weren't decent players/assets, but it is pretty much #1 pick (Zion) or bust if NYK intends to trade for AD.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I frankly don’t get the Zion hype.

I think there is a bust risk with him. Not a strong handle. Not a good 3 point shot.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think there is a bust risk with him. Not a strong handle. Not a good 3 point shot.

I have questions, too.  A player can get by without an outside shot -- Giannis being an obvious example -- but he's got below average size, no outside shot, and question marks about play-making and creating his own shot.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

My issue with Zion is he's so heavy, 285 lbs, and he keeps jumping up and down.

Unless he's superman, sooner or later his knees are going to give.