Poll

It's the Summer of 2019 (or sometime in the future, like 2020 Trade Deadline). AD rejects the supermax deal, and wants out. Pelicans taking offers for AD but they 100% want Tatum from the Celtics in the deal. Would you (Ainge) still do it?

Yes
61 (59.8%)
No
24 (23.5%)
I Don't Know (Yet)
17 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Author Topic: If needed, should Ainge actually put Tatum in package for AD? Nope, walk away.  (Read 24520 times)

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
I wouldn't include Tatum in the deal unless I was 100% certain Davis was re-signing in Boston long term.

If you get 3+ years of Davis guaranteed alongside Kyrie, then it's worth it, although still hard to swallow.

If you're trading Tatum for only a year or two of Davis with no certainty he'll stick around longer, no thanks.  The league is still too stacked at the top to be sure that Kyrie - Davis is going to result in a championship if all you get is a year or two.

Based on Lowe's reporting it sounds like Davis is thinking of doing what LeBron did in Cleveland and what Durant has done in Oakland.  Just sign a bunch of one year deals and keep the team that signs you eager to keep you happy.  I would not trade Tatum for the "privilege" of worrying about whether Davis is gonna resign every year for half a decade.

Excellent point.

BTW - Most on here have probably heard the report that Garnett told Davis to join up with Lebron James and win some titles with the Lakers. I Know Garnett didn't spend his career here like Pierce, but he has made many comments referencing his love for the Celtics and his time in Boston. Plus, I assume Danny is gonna get around to putting #5 in the rafters sometime this century. Why wouldn't Garnett advise Davis to go to a better long-term situation in Boston with a better coach, GM and a higher pedigree franchise with more passionate fans?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:48:39 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I wouldn't include Tatum in the deal unless I was 100% certain Davis was re-signing in Boston long term.

If you get 3+ years of Davis guaranteed alongside Kyrie, then it's worth it, although still hard to swallow.

If you're trading Tatum for only a year or two of Davis with no certainty he'll stick around longer, no thanks.  The league is still too stacked at the top to be sure that Kyrie - Davis is going to result in a championship if all you get is a year or two.

Based on Lowe's reporting it sounds like Davis is thinking of doing what LeBron did in Cleveland and what Durant has done in Oakland.  Just sign a bunch of one year deals and keep the team that signs you eager to keep you happy.  I would not trade Tatum for the "privilege" of worrying about whether Davis is gonna resign every year for half a decade.

Excellent point.

BTW - Most on here have probably heard the report that Garnett told Davis to join up with Lebron James and win some titles with the Lakers. I Know Garnett didn't spend his career here like Pierce, but he has made many comments referencing his love for the Celtics and his time in Boston. Plus, I assume Danny is gonna get around to putting #5 in the rafters sometime this century. Why wouldn't Garnett advise Davis to go to a better long-term situation in Boston with a better coach, GM and a higher pedigree franchise with more passionate fans?

Yeah, I was surprised to hear KG say that as well. Only thing I can think of is even though he loved Boston, he's not fond of Ainge trading him and probably wanted to retire in Boston (I am sure Pierce probably feels the same way, but likely to a lesser extent.)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!

Excellent point.

Yeah, I was surprised to hear KG say that as well. Only thing I can think of is even though he loved Boston, he's not fond of Ainge trading him and probably wanted to retire in Boston (I am sure Pierce probably feels the same way, but likely to a lesser extent.)

Some think it was planned, like Ainge told KG to say that so Pelicans will get sick of hearing AD-to-LAL that if they are forced to move him they move him out East, where Boston could pounce or at least make a competitive offer.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Excellent point.

Some think it was planned, like Ainge told KG to say that so Pelicans will get sick of hearing AD-to-LAL that if they are forced to move him they move him out East, where Boston could pounce or at least make a competitive offer.
It also was much less about Lebron and the Lakers then getting out of New Orleans.  If you look at everything he said in context, it was him projecting his mistake of staying in Minnesota too long and not wanting Davis to make the same mistake he made.  Lebron and the Lakers were in the news so he talked about that, but it really was just about getting out of dodge before it was too late.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Other teams have caught us sleeping this year and made great moves to pass us up.   Our guys believed their own hype and anointment.  The excuses like too much talent and it takes time to gel are wearing thin on me.   We should be seeing some improvements by now, we are coming up on the middle of the season.   Time to play and man up and produce, and quit hiding behind the excuses.

I would include either or both because Tatum and Brown take over games occasionally but Davis can do it every night.  It would not be easy, it would stink but the sum of Davis is greater than the inconsistency we see game after game.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Other teams have caught us sleeping this year and made great moves to pass us up.   Our guys believed their own hype and anointment.  The excuses like too much talent and it takes time to gel are wearing thin on me.   We should be seeing some improvements by now, we are coming up on the middle of the season.   Time to play and man up and produce, and quit hiding behind the excuses.

I would include either or both because Tatum and Brown take over games occasionally but Davis can do it every night.  It would not be easy, it would stink but the sum of Davis is greater than the inconsistency we see game after game.

What exactly is our bench then? I don't like the idea of becoming the "Pelicans East" as a result.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

What exactly is our bench then? I don't like the idea of becoming the "Pelicans East" as a result.

News flash... As constructed, we are already the Peilicans of the East.. Only becauae we are in the East, Cs would be seeded 4 to 6...in the West the Cs would probably a 6 to 8th seed

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

News flash... As constructed, we are already the Peilicans of the East.. Only becauae we are in the East, Cs would be seeded 4 to 6...in the West the Cs would probably a 6 to 8th seed

Lol. No we aren't. We are the most talented team in the East, and maybe the NBA. The problem with the Pelicans has always been their inability to surround Davis with good talent.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919

Wow. Even I'm not that pessimistic.

Mike

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Wow. Even I'm not that pessimistic.

Mike
The lack of perspective on the forums has been pretty remarkable this season
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Lol. No we aren't. We are the most talented team in the East, and maybe the NBA. The problem with the Pelicans has always been their inability to surround Davis with good talent.
Most talented?  Maybe the team with the most talented depth, but there are 3 teams in the East that all have at least 1 player better than anyone on the Celtics and they have other talented players surrounding their top end talent so the aren't teams like KG's Minnesota teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
No, you don’t. If NO is trading Davis, their hand is being forced. Boston’s in the catbird seat here.  When superstars force trades, the trading team seldom gets full value. You take Tatum off the table from the outset - he becomes the third banana in the big-3 of Davis/Irving/Tatum.

To use yet another cliche, the Celtics are holding all the cards. Don’t break up your flush when you can get a royal flush.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Unless the last game was a turning point and he starts balling again, Brown’s value has taken a hit. He’s not going to be the centerpiece of a deal (unless we get a top 5 pick from SAC), so now it’s got to be Tatum.

And I’m still fine with that. I’m pretty sure I’d do both, honestly. Even if they go on to be superstars elsewhere, I don’t know if they could do that with Kyrie and Gordon here.

A consolidating trade will make this team flow a lot better. Morris stays and anchors the bench (Gordon back with starters), bring in a decent guard with MLE if Rozier is not resigned, keep Baynes and Theis.
CELTICS 2024

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
No, you don’t. If NO is trading Davis, their hand is being forced. Boston’s in the catbird seat here.  When superstars force trades, the trading team seldom gets full value. You take Tatum off the table from the outset - he becomes the third banana in the big-3 of Davis/Irving/Tatum.

To use yet another cliche, the Celtics are holding all the cards. Don’t break up your flush when you can get a royal flush.

That makes sense only if Boston is the sole potential trade partner. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That makes sense only if Boston is the sole potential trade partner.
Agree completely. If LAL is willing to send Ball, Kuzma and Ingram, then Boston can't refuse to deal Tatum. Otherwise LeBron, Davis and possibly some other superstar will be beating the Celtics in the Finals every year.