Author Topic: Map Out Your Ideal, Quasi-Realistic Off-season  (Read 16292 times)

Map Out Your Ideal, Quasi-Realistic Off-season
« on: October 07, 2020, 02:07:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
1.  Trade Hayward + Langford + future lottery-protected #1 for Oladipo + Turner

This hurts, because I love Hayward and we've seen some pretty nice glimpses with Langford.  That said, Oladipo at his best was an All-NBA two-way player who would slot perfectly between Kemba and Brown, and Turner is a floor-stretcher and plus-defender who would allow us to run an actual big man out there 48 minutes per game.

2.  Trade Kanter + Poirer + #26 + #30 to New Orleans for J.J. Redick

This is contingent upon Kanter opting in.  Also, we'd have to wait until 30 days after the draft picks were signed to trade them to match salaries.  Is this an overpay?  Not really, in my opinion.  The vast majority of late first rounder don't make a significant impact.  J.J. could be a key contributor on a championship team.

3.  Draft Aaron Nesmith

Just shooting, baby.  Do 14 games at Vanderbilt prove he's an elite shooter?  I say yes!

4.  Sign Evan Turner to the minimum

He thrived in Brad's system, and he'd replace a small bit of the ball-handling and passing on the wing that we'd be losing in Hayward

5.  Sign Isaiah Thomas to the minimum

He'd have to realize that he was here in strictly a bench role, and would have to be prepared to do a lot of towel waving.  He's here as a spark and a leader only.

6.  Save the MLE for buyouts, unless somebody who should be paid more is willing to accept it (Millsap, Gallinari, Harris, etc.)

7.  Let Semi, Green and Wanamaker walk

8.  Keep Tacko and Waters on two-way contracts, assuming they'll accept them

Turner / Theis / R. Williams
Tatum / G. Williams
Brown / Turner / Nesmith
Oladipo / Redick / Edwards
Walker / Smart / Thomas

9.  Wait...  there's one roster spot left?  You all know what that means!  BOOGIE TIME.

Okay, so the above isn't all that realistic, but it would be a pretty crazy team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Map Out Your Ideal, Quasi-Realistic Off-season
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 02:27:33 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772

This hurts, because I love Hayward and we've seen some pretty nice glimpses with Langford.  That said, Oladipo at his best was an All-NBA two-way player who would slot perfectly between Kemba and Brown, and Turner is a floor-stretcher and plus-defender who would allow us to run an actual big man out there 48 minutes per game.

Strongly agree!

This is contingent upon Kanter opting in.  Also, we'd have to wait until 30 days after the draft picks were signed to trade them to match salaries.  Is this an overpay?  Not really, in my opinion.  The vast majority of late first rounder don't make a significant impact.  J.J. could be a key contributor on a championship team.

Agree!

3.  Draft Aaron Nesmith

Just shooting, baby.  Do 14 games at Vanderbilt prove he's an elite shooter?  I say yes!

Another strong agree!

He thrived in Brad's system, and he'd replace a small bit of the ball-handling and passing on the wing that we'd be losing in Hayward

Not a fan.  His time may have passed.

He'd have to realize that he was here in strictly a bench role, and would have to be prepared to do a lot of towel waving.  He's here as a spark and a leader only.

May be tough for him as a bench player.  He did not look good in DC.

6.  Save the MLE for buyouts, unless somebody who should be paid more is willing to accept it (Millsap, Gallinari, Harris, etc.)

Agree

Agree

Agree

Tatum / G. Williams
Brown / Turner / Nesmith
Walker / Smart / Thomas

9.  Wait...  there's one roster spot left?  You all know what that means!  BOOGIE TIME.

Don't think he has anything left in his tank

Okay, so the above isn't all that realistic, but it would be a pretty crazy team.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 02:30:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The Indy deal seems realistic enough but not the Reddick deal.

I would not be surprised at all if Hayward gets traded and that is as good a suggestion as any.  We need more size (Turner) and Oladipo essentially replaces Hayward (swap of injury plagued wings on 1 year deals) but does Indy do this just to get Langford and a not so great pick?  Maybe if they want to get out of the 3 years of Turner.

My plan would be make a run at Simmons by offering Walker as the start to a deal.  If we can start there, then maybe try to get this Indy deal done too.  But if not, just run it back and see what we have.  Mid season, there may be offers for Hayward if he plays well but I really don't think we can get all that much for him.

I am not a trade for the sake of trading guy.  We have a great core.  We could use some  size to balance our roster.  Simmons is 6'-10" and seemed to like the PF experiment.  I think at PF, he is perfect for us and would thrive in that role with our roster.  Turner would be an upgrade for us over our current selection of bigs.  I like Walker but I think he is expendable to a point.  If not a good deal though, I am totally fine with running it back with him in the mix.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 03:20:09 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Oladipo at his best is the real caveat. His play was on a down swing before the quad injury which I don't think he bounces back from completely.

But my ideal offseason.

1.) Extend Tatum. Yes, to the max.

2.) Convince Hayward to opt out and extend him to a 4 year in 75-80m range that's frontloaded. Gets us away from the tax line.

3.) Draft a shooter or two or three. Just no more undersized guys.

4.) Use the non tax payer's MLE on Tristan Thompson.

5.) Sign Alec Burks to a minimum (he may be worth more than this now, but it's what he signed for this season)

I'd love to swing a trade for JJ Redick, but I don't think it's feasible.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 04:25:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think one of the first steps to see if the combination of Poirier, Edwards and 1 or 2 first round draft picks can get the Celtics one of the bench pieces the Celtics need.  (Do this early before the draft so if they need to pick up Semi to make salaries work, they can)

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 04:58:05 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

1. Trade based on Smart for John Collins
2. Sign Joe Harris
3. Draft Cole Anthony at 14
4. Draft Cassius Stanley at 26 or 30
5. Hayward opts in

Walker Wannamaker/Anthony
Brown  Langford
Hayward Harris
Tatum Williams
Collins Theis/Time Lord

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 05:26:31 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

3.  Draft Aaron Nesmith

Tatum / G. Williams
Brown / Turner / Nesmith
Walker / Smart / Thomas

Do we keep Oladipo + Redick in 2021/22? Cause if we do, the tax bill would explode through the roof! We'd basically have 4 max/near-max contracts + Turner at 18M a year + Smart at 14M + Redick + 3 prospects + some minimum vets. Haven't put down the numbers, but we may be talking about the most expensive team in NBA history. I really don't think Wyc would be willing to pay that big of a tax, especially in the midst of the upcoming recession.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 05:40:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

3.  Draft Aaron Nesmith

Tatum / G. Williams
Brown / Turner / Nesmith
Walker / Smart / Thomas

Do we keep Oladipo + Redick in 2021/22? Cause if we do, the tax bill would explode through the roof! We'd basically have 4 max/near-max contracts + Turner at 18M a year + Smart at 14M + Redick + 3 prospects + some minimum vets. Haven't put down the numbers, but we may be talking about the most expensive team in NBA history. I really don't think Wyc would be willing to pay that big of a tax, especially in the midst of the upcoming recession.

If you want great players you need to spend beyond the cap.  The Celts turn a healthy profit every year, and the franchise has appreciated by billions.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2020, 06:26:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
1. Trade Theis, Kanter, Poirier & pick 14 for Jonas Valanciunas

Hurts to see Theis and Kanter go, because while flawed they provided some good memories, but Jonas V is getting paid $29m over the next two seasons. That's an absolute bargain for a 15/11 guy with solid defence.

2. Draft Xavier Tillman, Sam Merrill and Desmond Bane

Get a defensive-minded high IQ passing big who is strong and athletic, as well as two elite shooters.

3. Extend Hayward to a 4-year $75m contract ($21-$20-$19-$15)

As everyone knows by now I'm a huge fan of Hayward, and I think keeping him unlocks the offensive potential of a lot of our guys. Front-load the contract for tax purposes, plus it also makes sense given his play will likely decline.

4. Sign IT to a vet min contract

How much more fun would it be to see IT don #4 again (move aside Carsen!) and play some spot minutes.

5. Sign Boogie Cousins to a vet min contract

If he even comes remotely good, like his GSW play, then this is a huge win. He'd be like mega-Kanter.

6. Save MLE for buyouts, similar reasoning to Roy

If there was a possibility of adding Gallo or Millsap to the bench then you swing for that, but it's incredibly unlikely.

7. Say bye to Ojeleye, Green and Wanamaker

Only one I'd be sad to see go is Javonte. At least he was fun to watch throw down massive dunks.

8. Keep Tacko and Tremont on 2-ways if they're happy to stay

Leaves us with a roster of:

Kemba Walker / Isaiah Thomas / Carsen Edwards
Marcus Smart / Romeo Langford / Sam Merrill
Jaylen Brown / Gordon Hayward / Desmond Bane
Jayson Tatum / Grant Williams / Xavier Tillman
Jonas Valanciunas / Robert Williams / DeMarcus Cousins

IT to take the Wanamaker minutes, Jonas V to take 28MPG from Theis + Kanter, the rest + VP's minutes to be divvied up between Timelord (small increase in minutes to about 16MPG), G Will, Tillman and Boogie, Romeo to take Semi's minutes, and then Bane + Merrill eat up the Langford + Green minutes. I don't see Edwards playing much, but I also don't think he's very good. If IT gets hurt or is worse than we thought we can play Merrill and Bane more as they're NBA-ready
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2020, 07:07:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I've read that Kevin Knox is available and his value is low. Every time I've seen him he looks terrible. Does anyone see any hope from him if he can be bought at a low cost?

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 07:13:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've read that Kevin Knox is available and his value is low. Every time I've seen him he looks terrible. Does anyone see any hope from him if he can be bought at a low cost?
The only thing he's got going for him is that he's still young (only just 21). Other than that there's literally nothing redeeming about him. One of the most inefficient players I've ever seen. Career shooting splits of 37/34/70 and more career turnovers than assists
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2020, 08:26:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The only thing he's got going for him is that he's still young (only just 21). Other than that there's literally nothing redeeming about him. One of the most inefficient players I've ever seen. Career shooting splits of 37/34/70 and more career turnovers than assists

A shooter who can't shoot and cannot do anything else well enough to justify being on the court.

Not an NBA player.

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I think one of the first steps to see if the combination of Poirier, Edwards and 1 or 2 first round draft picks can get the Celtics one of the bench pieces the Celtics need.  (Do this early before the draft so if they need to pick up Semi to make salaries work, they can)

This is something we can all agree with.

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 09:05:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

This is something we can all agree with.
this was my thought as well.  thing is, I think Danny will need to use a late first just to clear roster spots such as Poirier and Edwards as well as send out salary so they can be cut.  Would hope he could clear roster spaces by just using a second rounder instead of a first.  I highly doubt Danny will be able to turn our expendable bench players into even one productive one.

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 09:14:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

A shooter who can't shoot and cannot do anything else well enough to justify being on the court.

Not an NBA player.

OUch. I rarely watch the Knicks except when they play the Celtics and when I've seen him he looks bad. Thanks for the info!