Author Topic: Shams: Porzingis to Boston?  (Read 58349 times)

Re: We are in on Porzingis?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2023, 03:00:09 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Sources: Wizards, Celtics and Clippers are in strong talks on a trade that would send Kristaps Porzingis to Boston, Marcus Morris and draft compensation to Washington and Malcolm Brogdon to Los Angeles. Sides are still working through details and Porzingis’ $36M player option.

So most of the draft compensation should come from LAC’s side then, as they’re clearly giving up the least amount in terms of player value. But we still have to give up something beyond Brogdon to make it work financially.
Brogdon & Gallo works on 'paper' (read: the trade machine), so you need approx 6-7 mil from somewhere.

Let’s also not forget that JB is part of the backcourt in his most natural position. If we get Zinger we’re going back to the two big lineup in some fashion, which pushes JB back to guard primarily leaving a good four man rotation of Smart, White, JB, and PP with JD as a reserve, too.

Will be interesting to see what we do with Grant.

I like this guard rotation defensively but I really don't love the idea on the offensive side of the ball. Think JB needs to play more off the ball (or step it up a whole lot) and I'm not sure putting him at the 2 spot does that?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2023, 03:01:46 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Not to get ahead of ourselves but if we sign up for a Brogdon trade which is only natural because he's our most tradable contract, we're going to really need to replace him or actually play Pritchard.

We'll go from it being a strength to a paltry backcourt of just Smart and White, neither of which are very good at creating offense for themselves or others. That suddenly becomes a priority.

The good news is finding a bench scorer is probably an easier thing to do than a guy like Zinger.

The good news is that if we keep Pritchard he gets the playing time he's been asking for, and if we flip him backup point is one of the easier roles to fill with an NBA-quality player.

Let’s also not forget that JB is part of the backcourt in his most natural position. If we get Zinger we’re going back to the two big lineup in some fashion, which pushes JB back to guard primarily leaving a good four man rotation of Smart, White, JB, and PP with JD as a reserve, too.

You're right but Jaylen Brown cannot create for himself let alone others. It's just a tough spec for him to be put in that role. Maybe it puts more pressure on Tatum to play a point forward role which I think he's much closer to doing than Jaylen.

Jaylen Brown absolutely can and does create for himself. Are we really going to act like he scored 27 ppg off from cuts and spot up threes?

And I love what Brogdon gave, but lets not act like he was orchestrating great offense or something. He scored a lot for himself, which is an important skill, but KP can also do SOME of that. You need options, doesn't have to be at guard.

I think if White is what he was last year Brogdon is far less vital. They got Brogdon because the year before White looked lost on offense in the playoffs.

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2023, 03:02:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
This is what I posted before about it like a week ago:

Not my first choice, but I did think of it as an option, especially if the price isn't as high after seeing what the Wiz traded away Beal for

Add to the frontcourt, and add a legit 3rd piece to the team that's still only 27.

Brogdon + Muscala + PP + Future Picks (including 2 FRPs - 1 unprotected, 1 protected)

White/Smart/Davison
Jaylen/White/Smart
Tatum/Gallinari/Hauser
Porzingis/Horford/Gallinari
Timelord/Griffin/Kornet

Then idk, maybe G-Will is re-signed as well, but if not whatever. I like that team and it's a lot more balanced. 37 year old Horford can come off the bench which I think bodes well for both him and the team going forward.

Again, NOT my first choice, but I'm intrigued.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2023, 03:04:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
I will say that I’d hate to move off of Brogdon this early after what was a successful SMOY season for him.

But, I don’t know. Between his contract, fit, and our team’s overall needs, I think I’m okay with moving off of him for the Zinger.  Just seems strange that we’re all so okay with moving him after what was no doubt a successful season.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2023, 03:06:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I will say that I’d hate to move off of Brogdon this early after what was a successful SMOY season for him.

But, I don’t know. Between his contract, fit, and our team’s overall needs, I think I’m okay with moving off of him for the Zinger.  Just seems strange that we’re all so okay with moving him after what was no doubt a successful season.

I think his value is a bit higher, but also between Smart/Brogdon I think the team just prefers Smart more.

Smart always seems to survive these deadline rumors or offseason ones in trade talks  :P

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2023, 03:07:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Not to get ahead of ourselves but if we sign up for a Brogdon trade which is only natural because he's our most tradable contract, we're going to really need to replace him or actually play Pritchard.

We'll go from it being a strength to a paltry backcourt of just Smart and White, neither of which are very good at creating offense for themselves or others. That suddenly becomes a priority.

The good news is finding a bench scorer is probably an easier thing to do than a guy like Zinger.

The good news is that if we keep Pritchard he gets the playing time he's been asking for, and if we flip him backup point is one of the easier roles to fill with an NBA-quality player.

You're right but Jaylen Brown cannot create for himself let alone others. It's just a tough spec for him to be put in that role. Maybe it puts more pressure on Tatum to play a point forward role which I think he's much closer to doing than Jaylen.

Jaylen Brown absolutely can and does create for himself. Are we really going to act like he scored 27 ppg off from cuts and spot up threes?

And I love what Brogdon gave, but lets not act like he was orchestrating great offense or something. He scored a lot for himself, which is an important skill, but KP can also do SOME of that. You need options, doesn't have to be at guard.

I think if White is what he was last year Brogdon is far less vital. They got Brogdon because the year before White looked lost on offense in the playoffs.

Yeah, JB clearly excels at creating for himself; it’s creation for others that is nearly non-existent.

But I think Zinger should also help with some of the playmaking. He’s a fairly decent playmaking big himself.

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2023, 03:08:05 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Kristaps Porzingis stats from his career-best season:

Points Allowed Per Pick-and-Roll
1. Anthony Davis (0.91)
2. Steven Adams (0.92)
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo (0.92)
4. Kristaps Porzingis (0.93)
5. Walker Kessler (0.93)

One of the best drop P&R defenders in the NBA. And on offense:

Top Post Scorers
1. Kristaps Porzingis (1.29)
2. Nikola Jokic (1.26)
3. Luka Doncic (1.15)
4. Joel Embiid (1.11)
5. Pascal Siakam (1.11)

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2023, 03:08:09 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

He's our only real move to upgrade the team, though. You're not going to get much meaningful for just Pritchard or a Grant sign & trade.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2023, 03:09:00 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
There is some urgency to get a deal done today since that is KP's opt-in date.

If you deal brogdan you absolutely keep PP

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2023, 03:09:24 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150

Yeah, JB clearly excels at creating for himself; it’s creation for others that is nearly non-existent.

But I think Zinger should also help with some of the playmaking. He’s a fairly decent playmaking big himself.

Fair enough -- I meant mostly for others. And with going left :) Otherwise you're right, obviously he can. You just need Tatum and Smart and White to step up on the "others" piece.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2023, 03:09:37 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

He does seem like a good guy off the court, as well.

But, in addition to being on a trade-friendly salary, we're either moving on from him early or we're selling high, right? The guy is 30 years old, has had a couple of nice runs with a couple of decent teams, but he plays at a deep position and the team is clearly improved if he's swapped - and it's not as if the Clippers are a wasteland. He's not ending up playing for the Wizards.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2023, 03:11:21 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Not sure brogdan was really happy coming off the bench. He was a pro about it.

And how injured is that elbow?

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2023, 03:12:24 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Most likely the deal would be:

Wizards get:
Morris
Gallo
Amir Coffey

Clippers get:
Brogdan

Celtics get:
Porzingis

I agree with poster(s) above who said that the primary draft consideration comes from the Clippers, turning Morris into Brogdan.   The Wizards are walking away with mostly expiring contracts and sending a player who otherwise is opting out — I don’t think they get more than some second rounders.

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2023, 03:15:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I'll say this, I'd MUCH rather have Porzingis than Ayton. Ayton is a loser who hasn't improved much and has a bad attitude. There's a reason a lot of his teammates/coaches don't like him either, and why the Suns constantly try to trade him away.

Porzingis feels like a better fit, adds scoring to the frontcourt and gives Horford/Timelord additional insurance. Yes there's injury risk but tbh even with Brogdon there was as well, and Brogdon is already 31 years old.

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2023, 03:15:11 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Wizards are burning it down. Clippers need a PG and brogdan would be better than Chris Paul