Author Topic: Rondo and Celtics Agree to Extension  (Read 14037 times)

Re: Rondo and Celtics Agree to Extension
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2009, 12:04:37 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Oh, I completely agree with this.  The problem is, I think the price IS going to be ridiculous.  I think Perk is going to be asking for a contract similar to other young big men, such as Chandler, Nene, and Sammy Dalembert got.  So basically, $10+ million per year.  And if that is the case, I think the C's are going to make a quick decision next summer (well not that quick, because I think they are already preparing for it), and start seeing the value.

Now, if they cannot get some legit value for him (basically, someone who they think is going to be a legit star), then they will not have a huge problem with letting him play out the year, trying for one last championship with this group, and then letting him walk.  But I think they will absolutely shop him if he is not willing to take significantly less than he can get on the open market.

I think the Celtics would be lucky to get Perk for $10M/year.  But the Celtics will be okay salary-wise if they can get Perk, Pierce, Ray for about $10M/year each. 

Well s=when you consider this team is built around defense I don't see how you can let a guy like Perk go. He's easily one of the best defensive centers in the league. He's really the only guy I've seen who can guard Howard and Shaq. I know he's not a great offensive threat but neither was Bill Russell. Now. I'm certainly not saying he's in that catagory, I'm just saying really good centers don't come along that ofter and when you do let them go if you can help it. Perkens is the kind of guy you can build a D around. And now that he's lose some weight, he seems even quicker around the basket.

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2009, 12:38:23 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Excellent news, now I hope Rondo will show consistency!

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
regarding perk I can see Ray Allen getting 8-9 million dollar 2 year extension in the offseason and pierce getting a 3 year 30 million dollar extention after he opts out this summer so we can maintain our cap number and sign perk for around 9-11 per year

Don't know about Ray, but there is no way Pierce opts out of a $20 million option to take a 3 year/$30 million deal.  There is loyalty, and then there is stupidity.  Pierce is not stupid.

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2009, 12:50:31 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
regarding perk I can see Ray Allen getting 8-9 million dollar 2 year extension in the offseason and pierce getting a 3 year 30 million dollar extention after he opts out this summer so we can maintain our cap number and sign perk for around 9-11 per year

Don't know about Ray, but there is no way Pierce opts out of a $20 million option to take a 3 year/$30 million deal.  There is loyalty, and then there is stupidity.  Pierce is not stupid.

One could argue he has made enough money during his career, and that he would like to make some "sacrifice" for the greater good of the team... but I agree with you. I still see Paul getting a salary cut by opting out though, but not that much cut.

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2009, 12:52:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

One could argue he has made enough money during his career, and that he would like to make some "sacrifice" for the greater good of the team... but I agree with you. I still see Paul getting a salary cut by opting out though, but not that much cut.

Yeah, it needs to do something that benefits him too.  Something like a 3 year, $45 million deal.  So he saves the team about $5 million next year, but then maybe gets a little extra money on the back end of the deal.

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2009, 03:08:47 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Well, at least now we can finally say that Stern did something for the Celtics. It's been decades coming.

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2009, 04:12:56 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86

Yeah, it needs to do something that benefits him too.  Something like a 3 year, $45 million deal.  So he saves the team about $5 million next year, but then maybe gets a little extra money on the back end of the deal.

So lets say he opts out of the 20 million and take 12 million a year over 3, that 36 million, 16 million than he would make next year and he keeps the core intact, seems fair to me.

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Good signing by the C's. I figured Rondo is worth maybe 1 mil/year less... but taking potential to improve into the mix, this is a very good deal.

My thoughts on other names brought up in this thread:

Perkins - he is worth $50/5. He is a very effective defensive player at the hardest position to fill.

Pierce - after his deal his done he should be worth 20-25/ 2 years. So if his 20 mil remaining is torn up next summer, and is extended, something like 40-45/3 makes sense.

Ray - he should be worth 16/2 next summer.

Man, I love this team. Go Celtics!

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »

Offline Locomotive Breath

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Great news I love this signing.

« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
at what point does it officially become the "big 4"?  Rondo is legit.

« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2009, 05:28:04 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

After his second triple double of the season.

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

After his second triple double of the season.
Fair enough

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2009, 05:35:23 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2009, 05:37:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
When we play Orlando and the Lakers and he proves you can't double off him with impunity.

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

So lets say he opts out of the 20 million and take 12 million a year over 3, that 36 million, 16 million than he would make next year and he keeps the core intact, seems fair to me.

But he doesn't need to do that to keep the core intact.  It only makes sense if it allows the C's to actually add more players, or if it actually makes him more money in the longrun.  Pierce will almost certainly make more than $36 million over the next 3 season if he simply plays his contract out. 

Remember, all this does is save ownership a little extra cash.  It does not give the C's any actual cap space.  So essentially Pierce would be giving the owners $8 million to put in their pockets. 

This is not like the NFL, where players need to renegotiate in order to make room under the hard cap.  The C's are going to be over the cap next season no matter what.  All Pierce would be doing by opting out and taking a smaller deal would be saving ownership some extra luxury tax money for next year. 

If ownership said, "we can only afford to keep the core together if you take a pay cut"...well, they are the ones being cheap, and not having the interests of the product on the floor at heart, not Pierce. 

For Pierce to opt out, he needs to be benefiting from it as much as the team.  Which means he needs to be making more money on the back end of the deal than he would if he played it out.