Author Topic: A Go-Young Proposal for the Summer  (Read 2650 times)

A Go-Young Proposal for the Summer
« on: May 26, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
So my first option for this summer would be to try and grab a pair of free agents, preferably Love and DJ, in order for us to both take advantage of the rising cap and get back to contention as early as possible. However, since things don't always work out the way we want them to, here's a decent plan B for this summer that would have us go the full young route.

Step 1) Trade Bradley to Utah for #12 and whatever else needed to make it work

Step 2) 3-team trade between Sacramento, Denver, and Boston

Denver: Collison, Turner, Stauskas, #6 pick, #16
Sacramento: Lawson, Olynyk
Boston: Thompson, #7

Why for Denver: They unload Lawson while picking up a cheaper pg for the next couple of years, an expiring contract in Turner, a good-shooting prospect in Stauskas, an extra pick this year, and they move up a spot in the draft.

Why for Sacramento: Karl gets his old point guard back in Lawson and they get the stretch-4 in Olynyk that they've been wanting. A Lawson, Mcelmore, Gay, Olynyk, Cousins lineup has a ton of potential, and it's probably the best they could get this summer. Also, it's perfect for Olynyk, because he'll be the fifth option on offense and not have to carry a huge load for points and rebounding.

Why for Boston: We pick up another good pick in a good draft, while only having to lose a redundant Olynyk and taking on Thompson's medium-sized contract for the next two years.

Step 3) Select WCS at #7 and either Booker, Turner, Johnson, or Oubre at #12.

The case for Booker: I see a lot of Klay Thompson and Danny Green in him, and he could be a very good two-way player to stick long-term next to Smart.

The case for Turner: Turner could be a very good two-way stretch-4 to play next to an offensively limited big like WCS. LMA is a very good player comparison for him.

The case for Johnson: Could be the next great perimeter defender alongside Smart, and he has offensive upside to go along with it.

The case for Oubre: Very intriguing upside for both a lefty shooter and a lanky defender. Could form a terrifying shooting duo with James Young if they both hit their potential.

What I would do: Since we have Sully and WCS in this scenario already, I tend to think that Turner is the least desirable of the four here at 12, though he probably won't last that long anyways. I think he projects long-term as a stretch-5 rather than stretch-4, because I worry about him guarding quicker power forwards in smaller lineups. Johnson probably won't be available at 12 either, though I'd love a balanced perimeter of Smart, Young, and Johnson. This leaves Booker and Oubre, and I'd probably go with Oubre over Booker at this point due to Oubre's versatility and higher upside. I see Young as a big 2-guard more than a 3, and Oubre could fill that spot at the 3 while Booker probably could not. I just love the potential that a Smart, Young, and Oubre threesome has, and it provides us with great length and size at those positions. We'd then have a lineup next year of:
PG: Smart, IT
SG: Young, Wallace
SF: Oubre, Crowder
PF: Sullinger, Thompson
C: WCS, Zeller

Again, I would much prefer (and I think this is the route we'll head in) to chase some free agents this year, because the weak East is ripe for the taking outside of Cleveland and Atlanta. However, this is a good plan B if we decided to go young, and I think that core would be one of the strongest young cores in the entire league.

Re: A Go-Young Proposal for the Summer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 04:57:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
That is a trade proposal that I wouldn't have a problem doing. Essentially 16, Olynyk and Turner for 7 and Jason Thompson.

I think Denver might want more, but if they were fine with it I would 100% do that deal.

In that scenario I would want WCS at 7 and either Johnson or Booker at 12.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:27:38 PM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 05:00:04 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Not bad at all.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 05:12:38 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I like it. But a few things that come to me:
1. James Young>Devin Booker IMO.
2. I would keep the 16th to draft Upshaw
3. I would still do the trade because we get rid of Avery, KO, and Evan Turner, but Id throw in something else instead of the 16th.

I do like this though. I just do not like WCS.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 05:13:33 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Was expecting a James Young trade idea.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
3. I would still do the trade because we get rid of Avery, KO, and Evan Turner, but Id throw in something else instead of the 16th.

I guess you could reach for Upshaw at 16 (giving 12 to Denver if they would want more) and nab Winslow at 7 if he's still there. That'd give you Smart, Young, Winslow, Sully, and Upshaw, which very well end up better than the previous version. Though being a WCS fan, I'd rather go for the surer thing in WCS than Upshaw and his potential off-court issues.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel

I guess you could reach for Upshaw at 16 (giving 12 to Denver if they would want more) and nab Winslow at 7 if he's still there. That'd give you Smart, Young, Winslow, Sully, and Upshaw, which very well end up better than the previous version. Though being a WCS fan, I'd rather go for the surer thing in WCS than Upshaw and his potential off-court issues.

I prefer this. I am HIGH on Winslow. I also think Upshaw is gonna work out alright. Sign me up.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 05:47:15 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
The trade proposal is pretty good but I wouldn't take WCS with the #7.  His offense is practically non-existent and his rebounding is average at best.  On the plus side, the proposed lineup would probably put us in line for a top 5 pick in the 2016 draft. 

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 06:03:29 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24

I prefer this. I am HIGH on Winslow. I also think Upshaw is gonna work out alright. Sign me up.

THIS. This idea I'm in love with. I mean that team would be SO fun to watch, and thats before signing any free agents! Someone call DA and make this happen!

And btw Johnson is not going to fall to 12, I wish he could though. If this happened a much more realistic draft is WCS and Oubre. Still would be very happy with Smart/Young/Oubre/Sully/WCS.

Let's just be active on draft night

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:10:17 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Issue with the three team trade I think Kings are giving up way too much. Denver is getting way too much. Boston isn't giving up enough.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 06:23:02 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think WCS will be a good player, but I like others at 7 better, including 1.  Winslow, 2. Porzingis

As someone who likes Smart at the 2, my choices at 7 and 12 would be:

1. Winslow and Turner or Winslow and Kaminsky if Turner gone. 
2. Porzingis and Turner or Porzingis and Oubre if Turner gone.

Porzingis and Turner could be great for our future front court.  Sully's heft would still be needed at least until a suitable replacement was found for him, if necessary.  Young would have to suffice at SF for now...

Future:
Turner, Zeller, Porzingis
Sully, Porzingis, Mickey
Young, Crowder
Smart, Young
IT, De Paula/Andrew Harrison

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 06:46:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Issue with the three team trade I think Kings are giving up way too much. Denver is getting way too much. Boston isn't giving up enough.

I'm not sure about this. Kings are only giving up Thompson (who they've tried to dump for awhile), Stauskas (who is redundant with Mcelmore), and their pick this year for Olynyk and Lawson.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 06:55:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I'm not sure about this. Kings are only giving up Thompson (who they've tried to dump for awhile), Stauskas (who is redundant with Mcelmore), and their pick this year for Olynyk and Lawson.
6 and Staukaus>>>Lawson and KO

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 07:03:45 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Kings could probably get Lawson straight up for the 6th pick anytime they wanted.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Well thought out.

WCS and Booker or Oubre, I like the sound of that.

Pray Young can take the next step though.

Maybe an over value on Olynyk