Author Topic: Ray Rice  (Read 69805 times)

Re: Ray Rice
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
suspended indefinitely now.  good luck with that one NFL.  Of course they might get around it because I can't see any team signing him for the foreseeable future anyway.

Certainly not this season.
I wouldn't go that far.  Certainly could see him getting signed when some team has injuries and needs a fill in.  Won't be till the second half of the season, but I could certainly see it happening (if he wasn't suspended anyway).

I'm not buying it.  It'd be PR poison for any franchise that signs him this season. 

Redemption won't happen this year.  It took years for Vick to get it back (obviously, jail didn't help) but with that video out there, no NFL owner is going to want to take on this loaded issue & the media spectacle that will come with it.

Not to mention older RB vs. QB. 

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 03:20:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Not surprised Rice was cut.

When I saw the video this morning that was honestly the first thought I had; Baltimore has to cut him to save face, for themselves, but more importantly, the league. Something tells me Goodell is probably thanking the Ravens for this.

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2014, 03:21:20 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

When I saw the video this morning that was honestly the first thought I had; Baltimore has to cut him to save face, for themselves, but more importantly, the league. Something tells me Goodell is probably thanking the Ravens for this.

like us with Aaron Hernendez...kind of similar.

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Except the Pats cut bait with Hernandez right away.

They didn't trot Hernandez out in a sham press conference then publicly back Hernandez including a written testimonial on Hernandez's character on their team website.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2014, 03:49:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

They didn't trot Hernandez out in a sham press conference then publicly back Hernandez including a written testimonial on Hernandez's character on their team website.
Though in fairness to the Pats not being paragons here, the legal situation was FAR more serious. They had less inherent rope to hang themselves with, and smartly cut bait as efficiently as possible.

« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Do you believe the Patriots would have tried to protect the value of Aaron Hernandez as a player if he had merely been accused of domestic violence?  If they thought there was a decent chance that they could let him ride out a suspension and be back on the field making a positive contribution, would they have pursued that option?  Would they have engaged in a PR campaign full of lies to justify that action?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Though in fairness to the Pats not being paragons here, the legal situation was FAR more serious. They had less inherent rope to hang themselves with, and smartly cut bait as efficiently as possible.

Oh, very true.    Just pointing out two organizations doing things in different ways.

« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2014, 04:02:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Do you believe the Patriots would have tried to protect the value of Aaron Hernandez as a player if he had merely been accused of domestic violence?  If they thought there was a decent chance that they could let him ride out a suspension and be back on the field making a positive contribution, would they have pursued that option?  Would they have engaged in a PR campaign full of lies to justify that action?

Absolutely.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

No idea. 

I know they cut bait with Christian Peter way back in the day.  Of course, he was a nobody.  No idea how they would handle a situation involving a "name" player.   So, in regards to DV, they may have just cut bait based on that precedent but no way to be sure.

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2014, 04:08:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'll go out on a limb and say that most if not all the teams in the NFL have had a player on their roster with a recent domestic violence issue in the past decade. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:17:57 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2014, 04:09:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

No idea. 

I know they cut bait with Christian Peter way back in the day.  Of course, he was a nobody.  No idea how they would handle a situation involving a "name" player.   So, in regards to DV, they may have just cut bait based on that precedent but no way to be sure.

Edelman and Dennard are still on the team.

Precedent what?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2014, 04:10:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Absolutely.
Of course they would, and I'm not sure where this PR campaign full of lies statement even comes from.  You have the law enforcement letting him enter diversion without serving a single day of jail time (following the arrest of both him and his fiance/wife), you have his fiance/wife telling anyone that would listen that it was a one time thing, a mistake, and minimizing the whole thing, you have the NFL suspending him just 2 games (when it was rumored that they had in fact viewed the video), etc. I'm also sure that Rice himself minimized everything with the team (he certainly did in his press conference).  I mean what exactly was Baltimore supposed to do.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'll go out on a limb and say that most if not all the teams in the NFL have had a player on their roster with a recent domestic violence issue in the past decade.

I wouldn't doubt it.  The problem here was that you have video of the incident then a second video that the organization and league may or may not have seen prior to the new TMZ report and seemed to drop the ball on dealing with it.   

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I wouldn't doubt it.  The problem here was that you have video of the incident then a second video that the organization and league may or may not have seen prior to the new TMZ report and seemed to drop the ball on dealing with it.

A couple of really pertinent tweets:
Let's be clear. The Ravens releasing Ray Rice is because people are upset that the behavior was made this public. They had no issue before.
https://twitter.com/ChrisWarcraft/status/509048142478585856

Given a choice, the #Ravens defended Ray Rice. Given no other choice, they released Ray Rice
https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/509049092484628482

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2014, 04:16:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

No idea. 

Edelman and Dennard are still on the team.

Precedent what?

Wasn't the Edelman thing proven to be bogus or non-criminal at the very least?

Prosecutors yesterday also released surveillance video from Storyville of the night of the incident. According to a release by Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, evidence gathered by analyzing the surveillance tape and conducting interviews with the accuser and witnesses indicates the physical contact between Edelman and the woman was fleeting, and did not meet the elements of any crime.

Dennard wasn't a case of domestic violence.  Doesn't excuse what he did but doesn't fall under the same category of the Christian Peter case which was a precedent.