Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye: Basketball Player?  (Read 5265 times)

Semi Ojeleye: Basketball Player?
« on: January 16, 2021, 02:45:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Semi looked pretty good last night, scoring 18 points in 20 minutes off the bench. So far this season, he's 14/33 on 3's (42%) and showing an ability to drive to the basket (albeit only in a straight line).

Last night was his third time in double figures in 10 games he's played this season. It was the fourth time he played at least 20 minutes.

I think it's time to ask the question: Is Semi Ojeleye a real basketball player? As in, are the Celtics going to be able to count on him to play 15-20 mpg in the playoffs and provide some offense and some defensive versatility? If this happens, Semi could fill one of the last remaining holes in the roster.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Semi Ojeleye: Basketball Player?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 03:28:11 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I've been thrilled with Semi's play.  I didn't really care if he came back this year but I'm glad he did.  It's still shocking to see him dribble the ball and drive to the hoop but like you said, he's doing it this year.  If he's playing like this he's a keeper who deserves rotation minutes.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 03:31:32 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I always thought he was perfectly fine for where he was drafted and how much he’s making. I never understood the fans complaint from him taking a roster spot.
This year is just gravy

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 03:34:38 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If there was a poll I'd vote no. It's a nice stretch vs 3 years.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 03:47:00 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
If there was a poll I'd vote no. It's a nice stretch vs 3 years.
So if he’s not a basketball player what is he? A bodybuilder? Lol

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 05:03:30 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Semi looked pretty good last night, scoring 18 points in 20 minutes off the bench. So far this season, he's 14/33 on 3's (42%) and showing an ability to drive to the basket (albeit only in a straight line).

Last night was his third time in double figures in 10 games he's played this season. It was the fourth time he played at least 20 minutes.

I think it's time to ask the question: Is Semi Ojeleye a real basketball player? As in, are the Celtics going to be able to count on him to play 15-20 mpg in the playoffs and provide some offense and some defensive versatility? If this happens, Semi could fill one of the last remaining holes in the roster.

A real basketball player? I think how you answer that shows what you’re looking at when it comes to the NBA game. Semi has played rotation minutes since his rookie year, so the coaching staff, for a start, obviously thinks that he was a real basketball player already in his rookie year. And management keeps picking up his option.

There are a lot of ways to help a team win, and Ojeleye has almost perversely specialized in the ones that are least visible to fans. The coaches see them, though. The decrease each season in turnover% (led the team last season, and it’s lower still so far this season, and despite the big jump in usage) is a prime example.

His game has expanded every season he’s been in the league, though again mostly in ways that fans aren’t looking at. The increase in 3-pt% to above league-average last year is an exception, though it still surprises me how many people didn’t even notice.

His team defense wasn’t bad in his year two, but it took a big step up in year three, where he became one of the league leaders in charges drawn.

I assumed that he was in competition with Grant last year (similar weight and length), but his per-game minutes went up, even as Grant earned rotation minutes as well. We tend to put players into one of those same old five slots we all know and love. Ojeleye has methodically carved out a unique niche for himself so that he can contribute in a really valuable range of matchups.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 05:12:49 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
He's been a perfectly adequate bench player. He's reached the point here he hits threes at a high enough clip that he needs to be guarded, which is almost more important than the rate he hits them since it opens up the driving lanes for Brown/Tatum. The straight line riving is nice, its added value offensively.

Defensively I think he's somewhat overated. He stays in front of guys generally, but he puts ZERO pressure on the ball. He has 0 steals and 0 blocks this year. He is strong which is useful against bigger wings.

So ya, as long as he's like your 8th-10th guy thats fine.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 05:22:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
are the Celtics going to be able to count on him to play 15-20 mpg in the playoffs and provide some offense and some defensive versatility?
I definitely trust him to be part of the rotation during the regular season. He ain't a skilled player, but he plays within his limitations. Any team would be happy to have a 3+D swing like Semi. He's a very useful glue guy.

If he continues to shoot +40% from 3, then I'd have no hesitation to give him meaningful minutes during the playoffs. 

This is what I would do come playoff time (assuming our roster remains the same and everyone is healthy).

PG: Kemba (36) - Pritchard (12)
SG: Smart (36) - Romeo (12)
SF: Brown (36) - Romeo (6) - Semi (6)
PF: Tatum (36) - Semi (12)
C: Thompson (26) - Theis/Timelord (22)

(or something along these lines)

In really close games, I'd use the J's closer to 40 minutes and Semi and Romeo closer to 14 minutes.

Theis/Timelord would be getting backup minutes depending on matchups. I'm relatively hign on Romeo. If it weren't for his injury, I bet he would have been starting for us this season. I could also see Grant and/or Teague getting playing time instead of Semi and/or Pritchard. Chances are that CBS will have a clear picture of our pecking order by then. Teams rarely use an extended rotation in the playoffs. I guess a 9-man rotation would do the job for us.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 05:46:32 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 05:33:03 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I am pleasantly surprised in that I can finally say YES to that question. Before this season, the answer was a strong NO, but this season, a definite YES.

Semi has put in the work and it shows.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 06:04:28 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
He's been a perfectly adequate bench player. He's reached the point here he hits threes at a high enough clip that he needs to be guarded, which is almost more important than the rate he hits them since it opens up the driving lanes for Brown/Tatum. The straight line riving is nice, its added value offensively.

Defensively I think he's somewhat overated. He stays in front of guys generally, but he puts ZERO pressure on the ball. He has 0 steals and 0 blocks this year. He is strong which is useful against bigger wings.

Wow, the 0 steals and blocks is pretty crazy.  Seems harder to have none of both than it is to have a couple of random steals or blocks.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 06:37:53 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Wow, the 0 steals and blocks is pretty crazy.  Seems harder to have none of both than it is to have a couple of random steals or blocks.
Allen Iverson led the NBA in steals for 3 consecutive seasons. No one would suggest that he was an elite defender.

When it comes to defense, imo the #1 thing is to stay in front of your opponent. Steals and blocks are just a bonus. Semi is strong as an ox! I trust him to guard most PFs around the league. He also got the lateral quicks to play D on the perimeter. I like his defense a lot! He can guard multiple positions! Just because he ain't gambling for steals and blocks, it doesn't mean he's overrated.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 06:55:27 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

Allen Iverson led the NBA in steals for 3 consecutive seasons. No one would suggest that he was an elite defender.

When it comes to defense, imo the #1 thing is to stay in front of your opponent. Steals and blocks are just a bonus. Semi is strong as an ox! I trust him to guard most PFs around the league. He also got the lateral quicks to play D on the perimeter. I like his defense a lot! He can guard multiple positions! Just because he ain't gambling for steals and blocks, it doesn't mean he's overrated.
Iverson was one of the worst defenders I've ever seen, so I totally get what you are saying and I agree with you.  It's still hard to believe that one time another player didn't accidentally dribble the ball into Semi's hands.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 06:57:27 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Ya he's overrated defensively in my opinion. Steals an blocks arent the end all of defense, you can certainly get a lot of them and not be good. But they do show thats he's not really much of a help defender. He also isnt that versatile, he does a good job against a certain type of player (big three/fours) but is only okay at best against guards or navigating screens.

Its not that he's bad defensively, he's not, he's just sort of a situational guy to me.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 07:05:49 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 07:09:29 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Ya he's overrated defensively in my opinion. Steals an blocks arent the end all of defense, you can certainly get a lot of them and not be good. But they do show thats he's not really much of a help defender. He also isnt that versatile, he does a good job against a certain type of player (big three/fours) but is only okay at best against guards or navigating screens.

Its not that he's bad defensively, he's not, he's just sort of a situational guy to me.
We don't use him as a help defender. We switch pretty much all ball screens on defense unless the opposing player is a below average shooter, in which case we may go under the screen. Semi is strong and explosive. He can play D close to the basket. He can play D on the perimeter. He's a pretty vesrastile defender in my book.

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 07:41:14 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Yes, I saw him play live last year vs Utah. He is a real basketball player. Having a great year too. Hitting the 3 driving to the basket efficiently. Glad the C’s held on to him.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.