Author Topic: ABA league finals  (Read 2993 times)

ABA league finals
« on: April 23, 2019, 04:00:29 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Basic instincts in ABA ("Balkan") finals.
I love basketball, but this kind of stuff makes me lose interest.
In this instance ABA league, that offers solid basketball in general, and I go for a game here and there.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/aba/866493/norris-cole-reacts-to-aba-game-5-atmosphere/
translate: https://sportske.jutarnji.hr/kosarka/aba-liga/aba-liga-je-danas-na-najnizoj-tocki-jasmin-repesa-se-nije-pojavio-na-presici-amerikanac-sokiran-bio-je-ovo-najgora-najneprofesionalnija-utakmica/8769932/

2-time NBA champ Norris Cole witnessed it first hand in Belgrade.

Fans in these parts of Europe are vandals. Using sports events as an excuse to manifest their destructive behaviors.
These are troubled people that look a way to blow their steam (frustrated by their overall life situation)
Liable, drunk, high, their eyes blurred by aggression, this is not right and it has been this way here for decades.

NBA chants were always pathetic to me ("De-fense" and such), but this opposite side of the spectrum is much worse.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:13:00 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: ABA league finals
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 11:37:51 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
To be fair rarely it gets out of hand. When it gets though is like a war....

Although I hate it when it gets that ugly I can't stand seeing fans in the last min of a 1point game dancing and acting like clowns for the camera. Honestly I don't know which is worse... An amazing support throughout the year with a game or two getting out of hand or a season long of people watching sports like they are in a theater

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 06:59:08 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
To be fair rarely it gets out of hand. When it gets though is like a war....

Although I hate it when it gets that ugly I can't stand seeing fans in the last min of a 1point game dancing and acting like clowns for the camera. Honestly, I don't know which is worse... Amazing support throughout the year with a game or two getting out of hand or a season-long of people watching sports like they are in a theater
Theater crowds that have chicken legs in their mouths undoubtedly contribute to an underwhelming atmosphere.
Directly comparing it to south European game experience.
There are no unique songs, chants, fully packed loud arenas 2-3 hours before the game and other related festivities.
But "fans" (I don't consider them as such) that enter the court before the game (it's the last game of the year, championship game 5) and start hitting players with fists, throwing batteries and other solid objects at their head... That is just over the top.
I can't tolerate this behavior even if it was a cattle fair going on.
What really bugs me, is that each time this kind of stuff happens, the government never does anything.
Thay "condemn" the incident, promising to take care of it legislatively, and then a week later - nothing.
It is like collective amnesia happens.
Until another incident happens.
This one was in Serbia, but in Croatia, it is all the same.

And it has been like that for 28 years (since Croatian independence), even longer.
I'm 35 now, with this pace of government problem-solving, I'll die sooner before it gets regulated.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:14:10 AM by Androslav »

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 08:01:55 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
These are troubled people that look a way to blow their steam (frustrated by their overall life situation)
Well, this specific quote applies to the vast majority of sports fans throughout the world. This is exactly why professional sports are a big thing and get constant media exposure. Instead of having people frustrated about things that matter, they are frustrated about Budućnost, Crvena zvezda, the Celtics, the Lakers , the Yankees, the Red Sox, you name it...

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 08:29:58 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Well, this specific quote applies to the vast majority of sports fans throughout the world. This is exactly why professional sports are a big thing and get constant media exposure. Instead of having people frustrated about things that matter, they are frustrated about Budućnost, Crvena zvezda, the Celtics, the Lakers , the Yankees, the Red Sox, you name it...
You are right.
There should be entertainment and togetherness value that you get in live games.
These can make you feel emotionally relaxed (well spent) and help an individual.
This is what following pro sports is all about.
This is good.

But trying to cause physical pain toward the performers is sad, sadistic, unrespectful, and it exposes deranged values.
I really cheer for Celts, honestly, it is a part of my daily routine, it makes me happy when they win and sad when they lose.
I have a lot of inspiration when there is an opportunity to verbally (or by pen) make fun of opponents.
I can get venomous, I admit.
But going over "the human rights" threshold is repulsive and unacceptable.
I am very defensive toward those, our basic rights.