Author Topic: Fab Melo D-League thread  (Read 26544 times)

Re: Fab Melo D-League thread
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2013, 02:56:49 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
To be honest, Fab Melo was the one player in all of NCAA basketball that I knew we shouldn't draft. I remember first hearing about him when he got disqualified from the tourney  ::)

But I still think he has a chance. Though it would not surprise me if he averaged more blocks than points or rebounds .
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I haven't seen any of the games, so I can't speak with any authority on this, but just to throw out a theory.

A lot of times this happens with raw players.  When they first step on the floor, they put up good numbers, but really do it outside the system, and may not even be a net positive for the team.

But then as they get integrated in the system, start learning the right things to do, those numbers start dropping as the coaches start holding them accountable for rotations, and floor spacing, and things like that, and they also have to think a lot more, rather than just react, which slows them down.

This transition can really hurt their stats, even if they are actually making progress.

The Nenad Krstic effect?

I was thinking more like the Leon Powe effect.

As a rookie, they put him in for garbage time minutes, and he was able to put up some numbers, but he also played zero defense, and was never part of the flow offensively, just waited to clean up on the boards.

And then he got worse at the beginning of his second year, when he struggled to get on the floor.  But, by later in the year, he stopped thinking his way through things, and was just reacting, and became a very useful player.

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2013, 03:35:50 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I wanted Moultrie with the Melo pick. I remember praying to god we didnt draft Fab Melo, unfortunately we did...

Yeah, everything you just said.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I wanted Moultrie with the Melo pick. I remember praying to god we didnt draft Fab Melo, unfortunately we did...

I got way into the draft last year. I was so excited that PJ3 and Moultrie had both dropped, I could hardly decide which one I wanted more. The only drawback, I thought at the time, was that we were being more or less forced to take one of those guys instead of taking a gamble on Quincy Miller =P

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Yeah, I was one who wanted Exeli over Melo. I jsut liked Ezeli's physicality - he seemed like a much more athletic Kendrick Perkins and I thought he would have been a very good fit along side KG.

I really hated the fab Melo pick at the time.

Surprisingly, I'm now not as down on Melo as I was at draft time.

You can't put up the good games he's put up in the D-league without having "decent talent". He is very long, very quick laterally for a big man and he has good timing on blocks.

The way he moves reminds me of Roy Hibbert - He's a little unorthodox. But in time, I think Melo "could" be a high impact defensive center - which would be huge.

Like someone else said I just really wish, regardless of how much he struggles in the league, that we'd thrown him head first into the fire all season with 5-10 minutes  a night - 5 if he's really stinking up the joint, 10+ if he was happening to hold his own to a degree.

Just let him get punched in the head every day in practice and every night for 82 games. Guys will either come through that or not - but it creates the fastest curve.

Especially this year - I mean how much worse could he be than Jason Collins?

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »

Offline EnJoY

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Yeah, I was one who wanted Exeli over Melo. I jsut liked Ezeli's physicality - he seemed like a much more athletic Kendrick Perkins and I thought he would have been a very good fit along side KG.

I really hated the fab Melo pick at the time.

Surprisingly, I'm now not as down on Melo as I was at draft time.

You can't put up the good games he's put up in the D-league without having "decent talent". He is very long, very quick laterally for a big man and he has good timing on blocks.

The way he moves reminds me of Roy Hibbert - He's a little unorthodox. But in time, I think Melo "could" be a high impact defensive center - which would be huge.

Like someone else said I just really wish, regardless of how much he struggles in the league, that we'd thrown him head first into the fire all season with 5-10 minutes  a night - 5 if he's really stinking up the joint, 10+ if he was happening to hold his own to a degree.

Just let him get punched in the head every day in practice and every night for 82 games. Guys will either come through that or not - but it creates the fastest curve.

Especially this year - I mean how much worse could he be than Jason Collins?

I agree with all of this.

However, I would add that he should be in there with Garnett for 5 mins at the end of a quarter here and there whenever possible.  Garnett barking at him, helping him on defense, making his mistakes less visible is exactly what this kid needs.

The celtics are squandering Garnett as a mentor for the big men this season, IMO.

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I got way into the draft last year. I was so excited that PJ3 and Moultrie had both dropped, I could hardly decide which one I wanted more. The only drawback, I thought at the time, was that we were being more or less forced to take one of those guys instead of taking a gamble on Quincy Miller =P

Me four.  I remember hoping Moultrie or Leonard or Harkless or Fournier would drop to them--and that White wouldn't. Didn't like Melo.  He got my hopes up this winter, now not so much. (And now I'm really glad White didn't, of course.)

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Agree:

People are forgetting how Sullinger entered into the equation. One pick for immediate impact / one for upside prospect. Both Jones and Sullinger had injury concerns. So one healthy prospect and one immediate impact player w/ health risk. Sullinger > PJ3; however Moultrie is and was a better long term prospect; but he is our long term prospect.

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 05:49:12 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Strength from Within
I take that back

Moultrie:
9.7 points, 6.1 rebounds and 1.6 assists in 26.3 minutes per game for Sky force.

Remains to be seen (Melo vs. Moultrie)

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Yeah EnJoy, alos agree regarding putting Melo with Garnett for 5 minutes.

When we were healthier, my thinking was to put him in with the following lineup:

Melo
KG
Pierce
Bradley
Rondo

Basically run him for 5 minutes with the starters and as yous aid with KG in his ear. That group should be able to cover my grandmother's defensive mishaps to a certain degree...

If we weren't going to sign any better bigs than Collins, I would have just taken my lumps with Melo and hope the pain resulted in a learning curve of pressure that would have resulted in him being able to give us 10 solid minutes a night by now.

The sooner he gets used to banging with the legit big men in the league the better in my book - IMHO

But I do understand the school of thought that says let him learn in the D-league, not the big league - I just disagree with it, especially for big men because it's a guard dominant league, like the summer league.     

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Red Claws are playing an important game right now as far as playoff aspirations go.

Win both and they're in. Win one and their fate will lie in someone else's hands.

Fab looking good from the start it seems. Very nice to see him showing after the no shows in the past few weeks. I'm thinking the D-League playoffs would bring a similar intensity to some NBA games.

4 pts, 1 alley oop interception, 2 rebounds (one offensive), almost an asssist...just nice presence in only a little under minutes. Hope this keeps up.

GO FAB

Update

So... Maine watchers... what's wrong with Fab? His stats are beyond terrible this week, capped by an 18 minute, 6 foul, 4 rebound performance on Saturday.

For those of you going to Red Claws games, are you starting to give up on Fab? Is he hurt?

Haven't been on this thread for ages. Seems, from the bits and pieces I've been watching, they have changed their schemes to be less Fab-centric. This is, of course, what he should expect in the big leagues and is probably beneficial.

Edit: also, Fab's teammates are pretty mediocre in my opinion, even for D-League standards. Fab's game is largely complimentary which hurts when the rest of the team are just shot jackers.

Update

Holy smokes Fab is lighting it up. 8 points, 3 boards - make that 4. 1 steal. And 4/4 from the field scoring a variety of ways.

Update

Fab sits after an early dominance. Red Claws leading early and leading big. May not see Fab much today.

Update

End of the quarter and Melo botches the Erie's final possession.

Here's what Fab does that's impressive but doesn't show up on the stat sheet: he just stayed with a speeding guard (albeit a d-league guard) and stopped the penetration.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:36:10 PM by bfrombleacher »

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Fab an't been right since he hits his head and knock himself senseless.

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Strength from Within
Melo looked comfortable out there (maybe too comfortable). He definitely impacts the game defensively when he is in there. He can run the floor and showed some quickness, but went for a hook shot when he had an easy layin.

Not too encouraging. Bad coaching to leave him out at the end and let Erie back into it.

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2013, 12:54:56 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 41
  • Celtic Pride
Melo looked comfortable out there (maybe too comfortable). He definitely impacts the game defensively when he is in there. He can run the floor and showed some quickness, but went for a hook shot when he had an easy layin.

Not too encouraging. Bad coaching to leave him out at the end and let Erie back into it.
Did we see the same game? Or was i drunk?
Dutch Celtics Pride

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2013, 08:27:58 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
D-League playoffs.

Fab stat paddin' his rebounding. Has the coach been trying to contain him before? He seems out of control, like a Jordan Crawford on both ends. Feast or famine basketball but at least he's making a difference.