Author Topic: Big “shot clock” change for 18-19 season: after OffensReb, only 14 seconds left  (Read 6961 times)

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
It's  a 3 ball league now boys and girls.

This is really what it amounts to, up and down, faster pace. Pretty soon it will be 6'4" to 6'8 guys streaking up and down then shooting. The big man and half court game will slowly disappear from the court. Very little strategy,  just athleticism on display.

Ok maybe thats an exaggeration but thats how it feels.

Soon there will no longer be a need for power forwards and especially centers. Just have a bunch of 6'4 - 6'8 guys playing PG-SG-SF, rebound, and just shoot 3's all day long. The objective is to score the most points in order to win the game, after all.
This would be an absolute nightmare to me.
And I'd take Embiid and Davis and dominate that league.  The league isn't getting smaller.  Big guys are extending their shooting range and becoming better skilled overall.  Start ranking the best players under 25 and you'll see a lot of 6'10 or bigger players. 

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

This is really what it amounts to, up and down, faster pace. Pretty soon it will be 6'4" to 6'8 guys streaking up and down then shooting. The big man and half court game will slowly disappear from the court. Very little strategy,  just athleticism on display.

Soon there will no longer be a need for power forwards and especially centers. Just have a bunch of 6'4 - 6'8 guys playing PG-SG-SF, rebound, and just shoot 3's all day long. The objective is to score the most points in order to win the game, after all.
And I'd take Embiid and Davis and dominate that league.  The league isn't getting smaller.  Big guys are extending their shooting range and becoming better skilled overall.  Start ranking the best players under 25 and you'll see a lot of 6'10 or bigger players.
Yeah, and even a guy like Embiid, who isn't a particularly good shooter from 3, is probably the second best big man in the league.

Plus, lots of the good teams in the league have big men getting substantial minutes. Davis, Adams, Capela, Gobert, Valanciunas & Ibaka, Nurkic, Turner and Aldridge all got significant minutes on teams that won lots of games
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
With all the push in the NBA for smaller, faster guys now the norm instead of a trend, and with nobody looking back, I would love to see a team go fully the other way, sign a bunch of big guys and old school guards and just try to pound the ball inside all year, and fast break off of all the rebounds they will grab.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 12:55:15 PM by hpantazo »

Offline EthanHarris

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
I like it!!
Me too! resetting the clock will only do good for the game and easier job for the referees.
kyrie Irving is one of the best NBA players!

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
wait and aee on all of it ...

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
yes to the shot clock change!  :D

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
With all the push in the NBA for smaller, faster guys now the norm instead of a trend, and with nobody looking back, I would love to see a team go fully the other way, sign a bunch of big guys and old school guards and just try to pound the ball inside all year, and fast break off of all the rebounds they will grab.
I don't think it would work too well. Teams shoot the three far too well and the old school big guys are not able to guard the three point line well enough.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Sources: The NBA’s Board of Governors passed rule changes for season that include: reset of shot clock to 14 seconds after offensive rebound; simplification of clear-path foul rule; expanding definition of "hostile act" for purposes of triggering replay.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1043215006186319874?s=21

The NBA's Board of Governors also passed an increase in retirement benefits for NBA GM's, coaches, trainers and senior basketball executives, league sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1043223644309278721?s=21

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I think that the league has gotten smaller - but size is still an advantage; it's just that the priorities are weighted toward skill and athleticism and away from brute strength ("three yards and a cloud of dust", as Pat Riley said). The rules changes in the last generation were designed to do exactly what they've in fact done, to make the game more fluid, to showcase skill and athleticism. It's not just a change in style, and a 1980's/1990's style team wouldn't mop up in today's rules environment, because they couldn't cover all that ground, couldn't exploit whatever post-up mismatches they had, couldn't stretch out the defense.

I don't think it would work too well. Teams shoot the three far too well and the old school big guys are not able to guard the three point line well enough.

I agree.

The NBA has opened up the game, giving more value to skills. It isn't so much the 3-pt Era as it is the Pace and Space Era. Teams aren't standing around outside the arc; they are using the threat of the distance shot to open up the lane, and vice versa. Long 2's are not efficient shots in general, but there are a few rare players - like Kyrie Irving! - who are efficient shooters of long 2's. So teams that have multiple guys who can create off the dribble, who can find the open spot-up shooters with the pass, and who can shoot with range, have the advantage.

I'm very enthusiastic about the way the game is played now; I think it's exciting to see everyone touch the ball, to see multiple actions on one play. Frankly, I find the old-style dump it down into the post while the guy does his thing for half the shot clock while two guys on the weak side are doing nothing at all to be an inferior brand of ball. The NBA made it more of a team game. In the 1990's and before it was possible to hide a player on defense (and offense, for that matter). This is much harder to do now.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Love it.

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
This will hurt running out the clock in games but will increase scoring so that will help players stats.
I like that fact. Basketball is exciting because of the scoring.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek