Author Topic: Wiggins is erupting vs. West Virginia  (Read 10262 times)

Re: Wiggens is erupting vs. West Virginia
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 03:56:33 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I think we'll realistically be picking 8-10th.

Is West Virginia any good?  I don't actually follow college ball.  Was this against a crap schooL?

10th pick if lucky.

Most likely Rondo hitting three's will change the ways teams defend us and will cause Boston to go on a winning streak. I'm guessing they'll win 75% of the rest of their games.

Ainge will select McDermett if he strikes gold.

Hopefully DM can develop into a 14 PPG guy and we can pick up a nice role player from this draft and aim for 40 wins next season.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
And how exactly is he worthy of first overall pick? He "erupts" for one game and drags through others. How is he different than Jeff Green, who drops 40 one game and then blah blah blah.
Man I really wish you were an NBA GM in charge of one of the bottom 3 teams.  I'm sure Ainge would gladly give you Jeff Green for Andrew Wiggins.  If you're nice, I bet he'll throw in both of our 2014 picks (#10 and #20).

I don't follow College ball, but comparing Green to Wiggins is laughably ridiculous.   Wiggins has the makings of an elite defender.  His stats are fantastic for a college freshman.  You can't look at college stats and equate them to NBA stats.  What he's done is excellent considering the context.   You're comparing him to a 28 year old NBA veteran... Wiggins is a decade younger and probably already vastly superior.
Uhm no.

As for his stats:
Kyrie averaged 17.5 points, more steals, more assists, better three point percentage, better FG percentage and better free throw percentage in less minutes.

Kelly Olynyk, in his final year, 17.8 points, better FG%, better FT% in less minutes.

Anthony Bennett, first round pick from last year who is called by many as a "bust," averaged 16.1 points (0.1 more than Wiggins), more rebounds and better FG% in less minutes.
Do you watch a lot of college ball every year... or are you just picking out some NBA players and checking how their college stats compare?

My understanding is that it really depends on school, competition, role.  I think Shaq averaged like 12 points as a freshman.  And they are looking at different things beyond stats when they project out a player's NBA potential.  Wiggins is an elite prospect.  He's had a solid freshman year.  Joel Embiid as come off the bench for most of the year on that same team and yet that doesn't mean he's lesser than Adam Morrison, because Adam Morrison had big stats his final year at Gonzaga. 

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 05:14:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
And how exactly is he worthy of first overall pick? He "erupts" for one game and drags through others. How is he different than Jeff Green, who drops 40 one game and then blah blah blah.
Man I really wish you were an NBA GM in charge of one of the bottom 3 teams.  I'm sure Ainge would gladly give you Jeff Green for Andrew Wiggins.  If you're nice, I bet he'll throw in both of our 2014 picks (#10 and #20).

I don't follow College ball, but comparing Green to Wiggins is laughably ridiculous.   Wiggins has the makings of an elite defender.  His stats are fantastic for a college freshman.  You can't look at college stats and equate them to NBA stats.  What he's done is excellent considering the context.   You're comparing him to a 28 year old NBA veteran... Wiggins is a decade younger and probably already vastly superior.
Uhm no.

As for his stats:
Kyrie averaged 17.5 points, more steals, more assists, better three point percentage, better FG percentage and better free throw percentage in less minutes.

Kelly Olynyk, in his final year, 17.8 points, better FG%, better FT% in less minutes.

Anthony Bennett, first round pick from last year who is called by many as a "bust," averaged 16.1 points (0.1 more than Wiggins), more rebounds and better FG% in less minutes.
Do you watch a lot of college ball every year... or are you just picking out some NBA players and checking how their college stats compare?

My understanding is that it really depends on school, competition, role.  I think Shaq averaged like 12 points as a freshman.  And they are looking at different things beyond stats when they project out a player's NBA potential.  Wiggins is an elite prospect.  He's had a solid freshman year.  Joel Embiid as come off the bench for most of the year on that same team and yet that doesn't mean he's lesser than Adam Morrison, because Adam Morrison had big stats his final year at Gonzaga.

I don't watch as much college ball as I used to, but I do still make an effort to watch as many Duke games as I can.

I can tell you watching Kyrie his one year, even though he didn't play a ton because of injury, he was obviously going to be an excellent NBA player.

I don't put much stock in raw stats for college players though. Even team success is a weak correlation.

Wiggins had the look of a potential perennial all-star from what little I have seen. He does worry me a bit, but he's worth the risk. I still would take Parker 1st, but I'm biased there.

Re: Wiggins is erupting vs. West Virginia
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 05:58:05 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Ridiculous stat line.  Crazy that they still lost.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 06:40:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How many times do I have to write this, when it comes to judging college talent and how it translates to the NBA, throw the stats out the window. They don't matter.

I have been a bit vocal that Wiggins hasn't shown that he can be a star in the NBA because of his mind, more than his physical attributes or talent. he has loads of physical gifts and talent but lack the mental drive and need to win at all costs. Its a mental setting he looks to lack.

That said, the difference between today's game and the Duke game and all the rest is his aggressive mental attitude in each game. If he brings mentally to every game what he did to today's, he will be a legendary star in this league. Can he do that? Today he showed me a lot but I want to see this Wiggins every single game the rest of this year to believe it he can bring the game he brought today, everyday.

And I don't mean the stats. I mean the demeanor, the effort, the mentality, the aggression. He brings these things regularly and the stats will follow.

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 12:20:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
How many times do I have to write this, when it comes to judging college talent and how it translates to the NBA, throw the stats out the window. They don't matter.

I have been a bit vocal that Wiggins hasn't shown that he can be a star in the NBA because of his mind, more than his physical attributes or talent. he has loads of physical gifts and talent but lack the mental drive and need to win at all costs. Its a mental setting he looks to lack.

That said, the difference between today's game and the Duke game and all the rest is his aggressive mental attitude in each game. If he brings mentally to every game what he did to today's, he will be a legendary star in this league. Can he do that? Today he showed me a lot but I want to see this Wiggins every single game the rest of this year to believe it he can bring the game he brought today, everyday.

And I don't mean the stats. I mean the demeanor, the effort, the mentality, the aggression. He brings these things regularly and the stats will follow.

I would say he's been bringing that a lot lately.  I saw this same version of Wiggins vs. OK State last week, and vs. Texas the week before (the last two Kansas games I've seen befor this one).  You can tell which one is Wiggins in each of these games because he's the one who's running faster than everyone else on offense and defense. 

And I saw that in the second half of the Duke game too.. The first half he was on the bench after 10 minutes with foul trouble and Parker was the one taking over (he scored about 20, most of that with Wiggins on the bench, burying three after three.)  The game started around 10.. I wouldn't be surprised of a lot of CBers turned off the game after halftime and said "Wigggins is overrated, give me Parker" and that's been their view all year.  But in the second half, Wiggins came out, scored 16 of his 22 efficient points, and Kansas pulled away and won by double digits.

People say Wiggins reminds them of Jeff Green.  Wiggins reminds me of a 6'8" Avery Bradley who has track star speed and can jump through the roof.  He looks very comfortable playing an aggressive full-court defense, and that same aggressive half-court defense.  Sometimes he gets in foul trouble because he's too aggressive.  Sometimes the shot isn't always there, although he can always get to the rim.  But every game I've seen of Wiggins this year has not been a game where he's lacked effort.  I just don't understand the "inconsistent effort" criticism.  Inconsistent jump shot, yes.  But effort, no.  (And sure, I'm sure I've missed a game where the effort wasn't there... He's and 18-19 year old kid who probably didn't show up once or twice for some reason.  Happens to almost everyone, pro or college.  But it's not a regular occurrence.)

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 02:19:22 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I would say he's been bringing that a lot lately.  I saw this same version of Wiggins vs. OK State last week, and vs. Texas the week before (the last two Kansas games I've seen befor this one).  You can tell which one is Wiggins in each of these games because he's the one who's running faster than everyone else on offense and defense. 

And I saw that in the second half of the Duke game too.. The first half he was on the bench after 10 minutes with foul trouble and Parker was the one taking over (he scored about 20, most of that with Wiggins on the bench, burying three after three.)  The game started around 10.. I wouldn't be surprised of a lot of CBers turned off the game after halftime and said "Wigggins is overrated, give me Parker" and that's been their view all year.  But in the second half, Wiggins came out, scored 16 of his 22 efficient points, and Kansas pulled away and won by double digits.

People say Wiggins reminds them of Jeff Green.  Wiggins reminds me of a 6'8" Avery Bradley who has track star speed and can jump through the roof.  He looks very comfortable playing an aggressive full-court defense, and that same aggressive half-court defense.  Sometimes he gets in foul trouble because he's too aggressive.  Sometimes the shot isn't always there, although he can always get to the rim.  But every game I've seen of Wiggins this year has not been a game where he's lacked effort.  I just don't understand the "inconsistent effort" criticism.  Inconsistent jump shot, yes.  But effort, no.  (And sure, I'm sure I've missed a game where the effort wasn't there... He's and 18-19 year old kid who probably didn't show up once or twice for some reason.  Happens to almost everyone, pro or college.  But it's not a regular occurrence.)

TP.

Part of me wonders, for those doubters of Wiggins or who call him overrated, let's say on draft day, the C's land the 4th pick and somehow those taken 1-3 are Embiid, Parker and Exum, if we're offered a deal 4th pick for Lance Stephenson, or Gordon Hayward, or Klay Thompson, would you pull the trigger on any one of those deals?

- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

TP. Thank you for not reciting cliche answers.

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 05:12:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Effort was probably the wrong word to use in my particular post. I guess I meant style or temperament of play. Wiggins earlier in the year was okay with allowing the game to come to him and went passive for long stretches, halves and games at a time. Now he doesn't let the game come to him, he comes to the game. He's proactive instead of reactive. I think that's what people saw when they said he was like Jeff Green. He has shown a notable difference now than the player he was then.