Author Topic: 2k9 is really ticking me off...  (Read 17287 times)

Re: 2k9 is really ticking me off...
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 05:17:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Crownsy - I've experienced something like that on free-throws.  Hopefully I'll catch up on the learning curve with jump shots.  Not changing my win percentage (lost 11-1 right now) but makes it kind of boring exercises in pounding the paint.  If I can get Ray and Paul useful from the midrange I will have a lot more fun.

It's nice that they have realistic shot animations and different players have different styles, but it's hard on the player.

LarBrd33 - Question... do you play the games, or sim them?  I think the problem is in the simulating of stats.  I'm thinking 2K probably doesn't consider their main market the sim-only players.  At least, not yet.  Seems like the feature gets better every year.

Yeah I'm talking about simmed games.  It seems to handle shooting guards/small forwards well enough.  It's possible to have a drafted player average 30 points a game at those positions.  But it really blows it on assists and stats related to big men.   If you ever are in like season 8 of your franchise mode and check out league leaders in stats... i'd be surprised if you see a single center (other than maybe an aging Dwight Howard/Big Al/Bosh) who is averaging over 10 points a game.   I don't think it's possible for the computer to generate a big man who averages a 20/10... and computer generated point guards just don't produce realistic assists.

And I also understand that most people don't play the game the way I do.  Not everyone is interested in buying this game so they can pretend to be a GM.  But it bugs me that text based computer games like Fast Break Basketball, Season Ticket Basketball and Draft Day Sports Pro Basketball have more advanced and accurate stat systems when those games were all created by a team of like 1 college student or something.  You'd think EA or 2k Sports would be able to get it right... or at the very least hire one of those guys to fix their wonky stat systems and bad trade A.I...   Or hey how out this... just buy the rights to Season Ticket Basketball and incorporate their trade/draft/stat system into their own franchise mode.  Combine the best of both worlds.  That's what High Heat Baseball successfully did back in the day when they just outright bought Baseball Mogul's text based computer game and incorporated into their own system. 

It's a bummer... it bugs the crap out of me.   I actually enjoy the actual gameplay of 2k9.  I'd just love to control some crappy franchise... draft the next John Stockton or Patrick Ewing... and actually watch them put up relevant stats.   
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 05:22:46 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I want to know who is your favorite player in 2k9. Not your favorite player in real life, but your go-to guy in this game..

I like Brandon Roy, Kevin Durant and Yi Jianlian..

Yours?

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2009, 05:31:53 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I want to know who is your favorite player in 2k9. Not your favorite player in real life, but your go-to guy in this game..

Yours?

hmmm

I kinda adopt a rookie each season I think will be a monster and make him a fixture on my team.

Last season it was Greg Oden and Al Horford

This season its Bill Walker, and Louis Williams (williams I just think is mean)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2009, 05:55:06 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
after an extended break from 360, which included a frenzy of nba hangtime matchups with a buddy of mine on n64, i'm finally back.  Unfortunatly, i had to sell my 2k9 to gamestop because my old 360 was systematically destroying my games....

Anyways, i had the intention of purchasing college hoops 2k9 this time around, but come to find out they didnt make it this year! man i was peeved.

I ended up purchasing college basketball '09 or whatever EA calls it.  And i must say it's actually a pretty solid game so far.  Not to highjack this thread, but does anyone else own this game? my only complaint so far is that the computer AI apparently went to the Leon Powe school of flopping/charges...everytime i try to back a dude down he's diving like there's a horn for an air raid.

if you are looking for rosters for the ncaa basketball 09, send me a friend request and you can grab them from my ea locker.  another guy from operationsports.com put them together - he did all the regular rosters (with a number of edits and updates) and i did all the historical rosters (took me around 5 days and around 25 total man-hours to get them all researched and entered - they were a mess and needed numerous updates and edits).

send me a friend request if you want them (for the 360)...my gamertag is mkharsh33
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
LarBrd33 that's the exact solution I was thinking is possible.  I can see a big studio like 2K either buying or "leasing" that sort of technology in the future.  It would probably be cheaper than developing it in house.

It's a good idea, here's hoping they do it.

Andy Jick - How does that work?  Can you setup for example a whole league of different rosters and someone else can download them, all through the 360?  That's pretty cool I didn't know about that.

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 06:02:55 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
I just noticed 7 of the top 10 topics in the video game forums are about 2k.

Crazzzy!  Go play Fallout 3 people!

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2009, 06:08:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I just noticed 7 of the top 10 topics in the video game forums are about 2k.

Crazzzy!  Go play Fallout 3 people!

Don't do it! If you value your life do not play fallout 3. You cannot play fallout 3 for money! I'm already lost. Save yourself.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2009, 06:23:10 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Yours?

hmmm

I kinda adopt a rookie each season I think will be a monster and make him a fixture on my team.

Last season it was Greg Oden and Al Horford

This season its Bill Walker, and Louis Williams (williams I just think is mean)

josh smith is a monster for the 2010 celtics.

webster is a nasty knock down SG with the ability to take it to the cup for me.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I am unstoppable with the Bulls in that game. If anyone ever wants to play who doesn't let the CPU play the defense for them, PM me your gamertag.

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 11:32:12 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Andy Jick - How does that work?  Can you setup for example a whole league of different rosters and someone else can download them, all through the 360?  That's pretty cool I didn't know about that.

the game has a feature through xbox live called "EA Locker."  I upload my roster file...the only catch is that EA only allows you to pass that file off to your friends list (some of the player names have "bad language" in them...ie. a player with a name that contains a cuss word...for example, "cASSman").

But if you send me a friend request, you can then access the online files by going to xbox live...online files...ea locker...press the blue "x" button on your controller to bring up friends list...download the file...then SAVE the file onto your hard drive.

the rosters are outstanding for those who love college basketball...being that i'm a history buff, i decided to do the classic rosters for each team (there's 64 of them).  i researched them out and they're top notch.

i post a lot at operationsports.com - it's a gaming website, specifically for sports games.  people there share information and files, and outside of this site, it's my second favorite.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 07:55:54 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
Well that's good to know. Once I get tired of my regular "vanilla" 2k9 I'll start checking out other people's goodies :-p

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I love that they've sped up Ray's jumper. He went from probably the slowest jumpshot in the game to the fastest. The only problem is now it might be too fast, lol. I know I nitpick, but seriously I upfake sometimes and he shoots. Overall I'm very happy they fixed his jumper it was way too slow before.

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2009, 12:05:01 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I like that they let you play with the legends in the regular season but hate that they almost all retire at the end of the fist year. :(
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2009, 12:14:31 AM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
any body here can give me a tip on how to shoot with pierce it looks like his release is very slowww >:(

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2009, 12:41:14 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
any body here can give me a tip on how to shoot with pierce it looks like his release is very slowww >:(

i would take him to practice. people get locked into the animation, but pauls "great" release point isnt actually at the top of his jumper, its about 2/3rds of the way up, just as he's about to get there. thats when you should let go, and he releases at the top.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion