Author Topic: 2k9 is really ticking me off...  (Read 17177 times)

2k9 is really ticking me off...
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:41:33 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I love 2k, but if ever there was a game that could make me kick my Xbox through a window it's this game. I mean how hard is it to hit a freaking open jump shot?! Allen, Pierce, Durant, Nowitzki it doesn't matter who I choose it can't be done! At least not with any consistency. Do they really expect you to master every individual players jumper?

How can you play a team game if you can't make use of open players? This is why so many people opt to just ram into the lane until they get a shot they like. This works against other players, but the AI will start to pack it in, and is a very good shot blocker. Not to mention, you can't fully utilize certain players without a jump shot. What's a player like Pierce or Durant without a jump shot?

As for the AI, It is almost impossible to stay in front of if it decides to use Iso-motion. It can throw passes right into the heart of your defense  without fear of a turnover. Almost impossible to steal off the ball-handler regardless of who it is (Shaq for example).

WOOO-SAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! (me trying to calm down)

If you can't tell I just lost a game against the invincible CPU. Losing makes me a really unpleasant person to be around. Any tips? Of course there are Tommy points in it for them.

Re: 2k9 is really ticking me off...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:45:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It took me forever to start consistently winning games on HOF mode.

The thing that bugs me is shots with games on the line. If its one of the marquee players (Kobe, Lebron, Iverson, Mcgrady, etc), they always make it. I traded for BRoy just to have a guy like that who could nail a clutch 3.

You can't play this game like you play 2k7 or 6...it all began in 2k8, you gotta play team defense...its not enough to hound them down the court. Too many turnovers, too many easy shots, and they ALWAYS find the open man.

EDIT: And don't even ATTEMPT a double team. Don't you even try.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:50:14 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
That's why I love 2k9. I don't dominate hall of fame mode like I did on the regular XBOX with 2k6 or 2k7. It's a lot more challenging and you have to learn to get use to the players. I'm just starting to learn how to hit more shots with open players. You just gotta learn when to release the ball. I play on quick game mode a lot. Just to get better. That's why I pick Blazers each time I play association mode. I mastered Brandon Roy's jumper. I think that's what you should do. Playing with different teams every time could be a bit tricky, considering they all have different shot releases and all.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:06:49 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
same thing with me  ;D i can only win using blazers bec i can only score using brandon roy's jumpshot and oden dunking inside

hey why not create "ROY HOBBS" and give him awesome stats?  ;D mybe that would work

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:16:20 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I gave a TP to all three of you.

I've learned about double teaming, and star players the hardway.

I spent a 3rd of my day trying to beat the Spurs in association.( yup, restarted after every loss) All they do in crunch time is throw it down low he throws up a bad shot and it goes. If you double Finley, Ginobli, or Bowen make you pay understandabley. The AI is just the salt in the wound what really bugs me is my inability to hit the freebies, or anyshot for that matter.

I guess I just have to pick a team and stick with them.

Creating such a overwhelming basketball force as Roy Hobbs in 2k would be cheating, plus the stats only go up to 99. It would be an insult to RH.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:40:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I gave a TP to all three of you.

I've learned about double teaming, and star players the hardway.

I spent a 3rd of my day trying to beat the Spurs in association.( yup, restarted after every loss) All they do in crunch time is throw it down low he throws up a bad shot and it goes. If you double Finley, Ginobli, or Bowen make you pay understandabley. The AI is just the salt in the wound what really bugs me is my inability to hit the freebies, or anyshot for that matter.

I guess I just have to pick a team and stick with them.

Creating such a overwhelming basketball force as Roy Hobbs in 2k would be cheating, plus the stats only go up to 99. It would be an insult to RH.

In assoc you can edit players. I edited Louis Williams and Bill Walker to have animations I like to shoot with. BRoy's is actually pretty easy, but seriously the best is morrison's and mcgrady's. They have like this long high release shot that just kinda feels right.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:08:34 PM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61
hahaha Morrison's j is deadly in 2k9. I've dropped 40 something with him once online against the Lakers, before he got traded.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 05:16:27 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
2 questions

First, how do you get the roller to catch the ball consistently on the pick and roll?

Second, why can't I shoot on the road (in Association) and is there any setting that can fix this?

Any help is much appreciated.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 05:55:15 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
2 questions

First, how do you get the roller to catch the ball consistently on the pick and roll?

Second, why can't I shoot on the road (in Association) and is there any setting that can fix this?

Any help is much appreciated.

1. it depends on the guy, though i think its to harsh on people not named TD and KG onthe catch. If its dropping it to much on you, move the hands slider up (be warned though, the computer will chesse with alleyopps if this is to high.

2. lower the "clutch" factor to 10, as that seems to govern the rediculus homecourt advantage.

also, if you want a semi true to life game, ive had very good games with this slider set.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/nba-2k-sliders/273918-nba-2k9-sliders-authenticity-real-gets.html

if you dont like that kids, the two sticked right below him were also good.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 06:04:44 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I love the game, but it's too hard to play D. On O I can do anything I want, but I still lose like every game by 20+ points.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I love the game, but it's too hard to play D. On O I can do anything I want, but I still lose like every game by 20+ points.

what are you having trouble with on D? mabey someone can help.

I find the D tough to play with non skilled defensive players, but with the celtics we pretty much dominate. if there's on thing i hate its that if you turn hands down, you muff to many balls, but if you turn it up, the comp throws alley opps between 2 defenders if you fall asleep.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I just got this game in the middle of last week.  Ever since NBA Live 03, I've been an NBA game wrecking crew.  I've lost less than 5 games to human beings since NBA Live 03.

2k9's jump shooting is making me nuts too.  I mean, it's aggravating to have to turn Ray Allen into a layup-only player just because he can't shoot with anyone within 5 feet of him, and heaven help you if they actually jump.  You're lucky if the ball doesn't blow up mid air and hit you with shrapnel.

On the flipside, KG's true shooting percentage is creeping towards 80% as he is unstoppable in the paint.

FYI I'm on the level below HOF, whatever that is.  Hoping to make the jump soon.

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I just got this game in the middle of last week.  Ever since NBA Live 03, I've been an NBA game wrecking crew.  I've lost less than 5 games to human beings since NBA Live 03.

2k9's jump shooting is making me nuts too.  I mean, it's aggravating to have to turn Ray Allen into a layup-only player just because he can't shoot with anyone within 5 feet of him, and heaven help you if they actually jump.  You're lucky if the ball doesn't blow up mid air and hit you with shrapnel.

On the flipside, KG's true shooting percentage is creeping towards 80% as he is unstoppable in the paint.

FYI I'm on the level below HOF, whatever that is.  Hoping to make the jump soon.

ray's shot is difficult because his great release point is below the top of his jump, which can throw you. If you are holding shoot till the top of his jump, you are not getting a good shot off, in fact, i belive thats an ok release.

rondo's is similar.

Ray allen is just as ridiculous as he is in real life of screens and fast break spot up 3's, you just have to take him to practice and get his timing down.

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 06:30:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's irritating, because I should LOVE this game, but certain things are killing it for me.  I love the franchise mode/building a dynasty aspect of these games.  I like scouting, drafting future stars, trading, signing free agents... etc.

But the stats engine is wonky and it's been a gripe of mine with this series for years.   It annoys the crap out of me that none of the CPU-generated rookie point guards ever average over like 5-6 assists.  It's like impossible for the game to create a John Stockton or Chris Paul or Steve Nash.  It bugs me that the league leader in assists will average like 6 assists.    On that same note... CPU-generated big men almost ALWAYS statistically SUCK.  You can have a 7 footer who was drafted #1, is now rated 95... and he puts up 7 points and 8 rebounds a game.  Very very very annoying.  Dreadfully annoying, actually.  The underperforming centers and power forwards is driving me crazy.  I hate having a "phenom" who is rated 99, but performs like Dwight Gooden... and I hate it even more that I end up getting frustrated and just trade the "phenom" for one of the big men that is already in the game (Big Al, Dwight or Bosh, basically...)   

Lastly... it's bugging the hell out of me that in order to build chemistry players need to be happy.  Many elite players need minutes to be happy... but too many of those "elite" CPU-generated players average over 4 fouls a game and can only play 27 minutes a game.  So I've come across a situation far too many times when I have some drafted player whose rating is 90+ and should be a superstar... so I set the depth chart to give him 40+ minutes a night.  However... because he averages 4 fouls a game he only plays 27 minutes a night (his own fault)... and then the player gets angry that he's not getting enough minutes... and inevitably demands a trade... and then instead of performing like a 90 he's performing like a 70 and I have to dump the player for being useless.   

All these things are fixable, but the 2k9 staff doesn't give a crap.  I guess the majority of console players don't go into franchise mode much.

So heres an example which combines many of my irritants:

I started a franchise mode as the Pacers.  Worked out a bunch of trades so that I end up landing three lotto picks in one draft.   I lucked out and in year 3 I had the #1 pick and #3 pick.  I had been scouting the draft and there was an undisputed #1 player.  A point guard with A+ overall and A+ potential... A+ defense, A+ shooting, A+ passing... basically one of the most perfect prospects I've ever seen the game generate.  #1 in the mock draft... #1 by all my scouts.  He was the unquestionable top choice.  20 years old.  Scouts say "no weaknesses".   No brainer... I take him with the #1 pick.  As a rookie he's got an 80 rating.     With the 3rd pick I took the highest rated center.  As a rookie he's got a 79 rating.

Flash forward a few years.  The phenom point guard now is rated 91... averages 13 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds.   He also averages 4+ fouls a game.  He can't stay on the court for more than 27 minutes.   He's already underperforming for a "franchise point guard", because the 2k9 stat system sucks...  and now he's complaining about his lack of minutes.   Ends up throwing a fit and I end up having to trade him.    The center I drafted #3 is already an 88 rating... but does next to crap statistically.  5 points, 5 rebounds, 1.7 blocks.   Basically useless.  I can just trick the computer into trading me Dwight Howard for him, but what fun is that.

Yes... 2k9 is REALLY ticking me off too.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 06:37:20 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 07:10:27 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
nba live 09 ftw.
:D
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?