Poll

Do play video games either on the computer or using another system?

Every Day!!
7 (15.6%)
4-6 Days A Week
11 (24.4%)
1-3 Days A Week
10 (22.2%)
A Couple Times A Month
8 (17.8%)
Almost Never
6 (13.3%)
Never
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: 97% of kids play video games --- Do you?  (Read 15406 times)

97% of kids play video games --- Do you?
« on: September 16, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
A survey released today showed that 97% of kids play video games.   The survey found that while young Americans don't necessarily play the same thing, nearly all of them—girls included—play video games of one kind or another.

The survey, released Tuesday, combined the telephone responses from a nationally representative sample of 1,102 young people, ages 12 to 17, and their parents. Performed from November 2007 through February of this year, and partly funded by the MacArthur Foundation, it had a margin of error of three percentage points.

Among other things, the survey found that:

—Ninety-seven percent of young respondents play video games. That's 99 percent of boys and 94 percent of girls, with little difference in the percentages among various racial and ethnic groups and incomes. In fact, 7 percent of those surveyed said they didn't have a computer at home, but did have a game console, such as Sony Corp.'s PlayStation, Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox or Nintendo Co.'s Wii.

—They play often. When surveyed, half of the respondents said they had played a video game the previous day.

—Their games of choice are as diverse as their tastes in music or TV. Eighty percent of respondents play five or more different game genres, with racing, puzzles, sports and action the most common. Favorites were "Guitar Hero," "Halo 3," "Madden NFL," solitaire and "Dance Dance Revolution."

verbiage in italics cut and pasted.

So, do tell.  Do you spend your time playing video games, if so how much and what do you like to play and why?

I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

Re: 97% of kids play video games --- Do you?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 04:29:59 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
i grew up with video games, plain and simple.

I'm 23 now and own an xbox 360.  I commute to Boston everyday for work, so i really only have time to play on the weekends.  In all, i probably play 2-3 hours worth per week, split between NCAA '08 and COD.

I played a ton in college though, haha - graduated a year ago.  Lived with 9 other people (7 other guys), we would go out on the weekends, come home at 3am, and toss on FIFA 2008, rip a little 4 player...that game single handidly got me mildly interested in soccer.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 04:40:22 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Same as jgod213- I grew up with a controller in hand.

Now that I'm a little older I've definitely reduced the amount I play, but if I go a few weeks without gaming something I get that itch.  I had an Xbox360 but sold it after I almost made sweet love to it.... err played it too much.

Now I keep myself sated with old school PC games and a nintendo DS.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
NBA Live 08.
I love "being" Ray and hitting
24 of 25 shots for app. 70 pts  ;D

Sometimes hockey as well.

That's about it.
I never had access to gameplay
when I grew up. I liked playing
"irl" instead (soccer and b-ball)

Now, I weigh too much and I wonder why?!

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
If it's newer than Missile Command, probably not much.

I'm, afraid I'd like the new games too much.

Wii has piqued my interest a bit though
Yup

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 04:58:58 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Used to so much when I was younger.

Now, only when there's someone else around for a good one-on-one.

Although, I will make time for Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear Solid.

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 05:07:42 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Most Definitely.

Was playing 2k with friends yesterday (I won of course). Per week I'd say probably 8 hours (was a whole lot more during the summer). When I didn't have much to do I used to spend a whole day on Call Of Duty 4(greatest game of all time.), man i love that game.

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 05:12:44 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I don't play very often due to my work schedule.  In all honesty, video games do not keep my interest for very long. When I do play it is mainly sports games, but I prefer to play against others.

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 05:17:52 PM »

Offline tmcdon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I'm not a "kid" by a l-o-n-g shot (as I'm well over 30 years old), and I rarely have a lot of time to do anything outside of work, but when I do play video games it's World of Warcraft. Horde. 

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 05:32:08 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i play about an hour a week, sometimes less.  however, now that i picked up the force unleashed today, i will be playing more ;D

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I used to play just about everyday.  I was heavy into Halo 2 online. 

Then my daughter was born, I only play a couple times a month, mostly older sports games (2k5)

Would probably get back into playing if I pick up a 360, but that is my wifes job to buy me one. 

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
When I was younger, my parents did not believe in video games. It wasn't until late high school/college did I actually purchase a system. Now, with law school back in full swing, I have a PS3 just sitting there and gathering dust.

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 05:49:38 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
It's not just kids that play video games anymore.....check these links out:

2004 Survey: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-05-12-gamer-demographics_x.htm (Average age: 29)

2006: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=9342 (Average age: 33)

MMO (Persistent World/RPG) Demograph: http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/gateway_demographics.html (Average age of MMO players: 26)

Article posted just this past August 2008: http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=30614 (Average age: 35!)

The average age of video gamers is going UP.

Link to a short MP3 on possible reasons why the age increase: http://assets.aarp.org/real.aarp.org/ramfiles/content/radio/2006/mf/mf08152006.ram

So if you're a "kid" who plays videogames and your parents are telling you to stop playing "childish games" and to "grow up "....tell them parents that they got it all wrong!

If you're a parent and you're telling your kids to stop acting like babies and put down those controllers, maybe you should tell the same to your colleagues or neighbors first!

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 05:51:10 PM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
I've been playing video games since my father bought home rainbow six for his PC. That was in 98, and I've been playing ever since. They say you grow out of them as you get older, but that never happened with me. I'm still into them, mainly sports games and tactical shooters.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 06:33:25 PM »

Offline Shots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
I think I've played computer games at least 3 times a week (roughly of course) for about 10 years now. I started playing games on consoles like Playstation and Nintendo, but then got my own PC which means I haven't touched any of those gametypes since.

I usually play a game called "Football Manager", which is a football (soccer) management game. If you're into 'real football' you'll love it. In my oppinion it's the most complete game ever made - of all types and genres. I also like to play Counter-Strike once in a while, mostly because of the teamplay and competition. It's an easy game to learn, but you'll never master it.

I've been playing NBA Live since 2003 as well, but never more than a few weeks in a row. Usually the computer is easy to beat after a few games and then the game just gets boring.