Author Topic: Let's be honest...  (Read 964 times)

Let's be honest...
« on: December 15, 2016, 02:14:29 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
The Celtics will not win the Championship this year.  One can list many reasons, injuries, lack of a scoring wing, lack of rebounding, etc.  Bottom line - they should make the playoffs perhaps win a round or two and that is about it for this year's squad.

So... I propose let the young ones play and develop. More time for Rozier and Brown. More spot minuted for Young. Does it matter if we are the 3/4 seed or the 7/8 seed? We are not going to win it all in any event.

Team needs: Another Starting Big and scoring SF

Another thing to honest about, what the Celtics players really are:

Horford - 2nd tier All-star level big

Amir Johnson - replacement level player

Crowder - very good defensive player with decent 3 point shot (should be a bench/energy guy similar to a Tony Allen or Posey)

Bradley - undersized SG with above avg defense and above average offense. Cannot take over a game. Solid Starter.

Thomas - 2nd tier all star - but undersized and average at best defensively.

The bench is intriguing with Rozier and Smart at guard - at some point it becomes redundant to have 3 defense first, undersized combo guards.

Smart is wonderfully defensively but his offense is woefully inadequate.
Rozier seems to be a more balanced player and is at this a point an average to plus defender (not a Smart's level) and is showing an adequate offensive game as well. 

Do the Celtics need 3 undersized combo guards, neither of whom are particularly adept at dishing the rock? My answer is no. This team needs some scorers I would package Smart in a trade for a wing scorer or center and stick with Bradley and Rozier at combo guard.

At forward the bench has Brown, Jerebko and Olynyk.

Like many of you, I once had high hopes for Olynyk to become at a minimum a plus bench scorer and average defender. But between injuries and apparent lack of confidence, Kelly while having a nice 3pt shot does not shoot often enough, does not rebound enough, and is at best adequate on defense. In other words he is replaceable.

Jerebko is a nice 9th or 10th man off the bench. Fills that role pretty well.

Brown, while primarily a forward can probably also fill in at the 2 spot as well. I would like to see Brown receive 25-30+ minutes a game to determine if he can he become the offensive wing scorer this team needs? 

Zeller is a capable 4th string center.

The rest is recyclable - Young, Green, Mickey.  If they were any good we would've seen them by now.

Re: Let's be honest...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »

Offline bcgenuis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 29
The Celtics will not win the Championship this year.  One can list many reasons, injuries, lack of a scoring wing, lack of rebounding, etc.  Bottom line - they should make the playoffs, perhaps win a round or two and that is about it for this year's squad.

So... I propose let the young ones play and develop. More time for Rozier and Brown. Maybe more spot minutes for Young to see if he will ever amount to anything a an NBA player. Does it matter if we are the 3/4 seed or the 7/8 seed? We are not going to win it all in any event.

Crowder - very good defensive player with decent 3 point shot (should be a bench/energy guy similar to a Tony Allen or Posey)

Bradley - undersized SG with above avg defense and above average offense. Cannot take over a game. Solid Starter.

The bench is intriguing with Rozier and Smart at guard - at some point it becomes redundant to have 3 defense first, undersized combo guards.

Rozier seems to be a more balanced player and is at this a point an average to plus defender (not a Smart's level) and is showing an adequate offensive game as well. 

Do the Celtics need 3 undersized combo guards, neither of whom are particularly adept at dishing the rock? My answer is no. This team needs some scorers I would package Smart in a trade for a wing scorer or center and stick with Bradley and Rozier at combo guard.

Like many of you, I once had high hopes for Olynyk to become at a minimum a plus bench scorer and average defender. But between injuries and apparent lack of confidence, Kelly while having a nice 3pt shot does not shoot often enough, does not rebound enough, and is at best adequate on defense. In other words he is replaceable.

Brown, while primarily a forward can probably also fill in at the 2 spot as well. I would like to see Brown receive 25-30+ minutes a game to determine if he can he become the offensive wing scorer this team needs? 

The rest is recyclable - Young, Green, Mickey.  If they were any good we would've seen them by now.

Starters:
Bigs: KO/Horford
Wings: Crowder/Brown
PG: Thomas

Bench:
Bigs: Amir/Zeller/Mickey
Wings: Jerebko/Green/Young
G: Rozier/Smart

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I am of that belief as well.  We are a big trade away and an offseason aquisition via free agency I think.

We are missing 2 things. IT and Horford are good but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of them traded to get another piece as well.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i wasnt aware that a number of cb posters were under the impression that the celtics would contend for a championship this year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 03:17:03 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
We were never a championship contender... But we were a team that could've possibly been the 2nd or 3rd best team in the east, which HAD the potential to be a contender if we had the slim punchers chance of beating Cleveland.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
The Celtics will not win the Championship this year.  One can list many reasons, injuries, lack of a scoring wing, lack of rebounding, etc.  Bottom line - they should make the playoffs, perhaps win a round or two and that is about it for this year's squad.

So... I propose let the young ones play and develop. More time for Rozier and Brown. Maybe more spot minutes for Young to see if he will ever amount to anything a an NBA player. Does it matter if we are the 3/4 seed or the 7/8 seed? We are not going to win it all in any event.

Starters:
Bigs: KO/Horford
Wings: Crowder/Brown
PG: Thomas

Bench:
Bigs: Amir/Zeller/Mickey
Wings: Jerebko/Green/Young
G: Rozier/Smart

What happened to Bradley?

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK