Author Topic: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?  (Read 18870 times)

Re: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2012, 05:14:12 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
It's cool when CP and Deron play their backsides off against the Bobcats and Wizards and pump up good stats, but I really want to see them racking up 44/10/8 against the best team in the NBA.

Rondo could average that if he wanted, but he doesn't. The quality that makes Rondo deserve to be a Top 5 player in general is his ability to always show up when needed and to outplay basically anyone. Where are CP and Deron in the playoffs and against Rajon? Oh right, they play on mediocre teams and RR always shuts 'em down.

Just because the NBA promotes the Clips or Lakers more than everyone else (except the Heat), it doesn't mean they are really legitimate contenders? The Lakers are old and have a terrible bench, but Clips are in fact good, but 2nd round is their ceiling, and the lobs and flashy plays aren't going to buy 'em nothing else than highlight clips on youtube..

When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
It's cool when CP and Deron play their backsides off against the Bobcats and Wizards and pump up good stats, but I really want to see them racking up 44/10/8 against the best team in the NBA.

Rondo could average that if he wanted, but he doesn't. The quality that makes Rondo deserve to be a Top 5 player in general is his ability to always show up when needed and to outplay basically anyone. Where are CP and Deron in the playoffs and against Rajon? Oh right, they play on mediocre teams and RR always shuts 'em down.

Just because the NBA promotes the Clips or Lakers more than everyone else (except the Heat), it doesn't mean they are really legitimate contenders? The Lakers are old and have a terrible bench, but Clips are in fact good, but 2nd round is their ceiling, and the lobs and flashy plays aren't going to buy 'em nothing else than highlight clips on youtube..

actually as much as I love Rondo and think he should be #1 pg really soon

I won't count CP3 out at ALL. When he was with the Hornet, he was able to bring them to the 2nd round and the same thing with the Clippers.

In the playoffs, he help lead the team past the Grizzlies who were projected to win the series. Game 1 24 pt game comeback was a great comeback.

« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2012, 05:28:35 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Championships might not be everything but they sure do matter alot when comparing players. Not so much role players but leaders of a team. If two players are close in skill and one player has championships and the other doesn't then im leaning more towards the guy that led *Or was a huge part* his team to a ring over the guy that didn't. Paul hasn't even sniffed a championship ring yet. Rondo has one *Even tho he wasn't the leader that year* and hes been to another final *Shoulda won that but the refs screwed us*. Rondo also had a unbelievable game 2 against the heat *Refs screwed us in that to we should have won*. Correct me if im wrong but has chris paul ever even lead his team past the second round yet?

« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80
Championships might not be everything but they sure do matter alot when comparing players. Not so much role players but leaders of a team. If two players are close in skill and one player has championships and the other doesn't then im leaning more towards the guy that led *Or was a huge part* his team to a ring over the guy that didn't. Paul hasn't even sniffed a championship ring yet. Rondo has one *Even tho he wasn't the leader that year* and hes been to another final *Shoulda won that but the refs screwed us*. Rondo also had a unbelievable game 2 against the heat *Refs screwed us in that to we should have won*. Correct me if im wrong but has chris paul ever even lead his team past the second round yet?

Well, by that very narrow, one-sided criteria that ignores coaches, teammates, and about a million other variables, where does that rank CP3 in the NBA?

Certainly below Tony Parker who has three championships and might head the PG list, below Rondo, below D-Rose whose team went to the Eastern Finals last year, below DeRon whose Jazz team went to the Western Finals against the Lakers, below Nash whose Suns team went to the Western Finals agaisnt the Lakers fairly recently, below Westbrook whose team went to the Finals this past season and the Western Finals last season.

Does CP3 even crack the top 10?  Is he even in the top 50 of overall players?

« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

If Rondo could average 44/10/8 then he should, and we'd have the last 5 championships. What a slacker.

« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2012, 06:02:19 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday

If Rondo could average 44/10/8 then he should, and we'd have the last 5 championships. What a slacker.

Trust me, he could. What's the point in playing your mind off vs the Bobcats/Hornets/Nets/Wizards?
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

Trust me, he could. What's the point in playing your mind off vs the Bobcats/Hornets/Nets/Wizards?

So are you saying he tanks it for most of the season?  Not really the type of player I'd be interested in.  Some players are able to play their best against all competition.  Ask Michael Jordan, the driving force behind a 72 win team.  Why take nights off?  Is he tired?

And Chris Paul scores more than Rondo does in the playoffs.  I don't know where you are getting your information from.

« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2012, 06:20:59 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday

So are you saying he tanks it for most of the season?  Not really the type of player I'd be interested in.  Some players are able to play their best against all competition.  Ask Michael Jordan, the driving force behind a 72 win team.  Why take nights off?  Is he tired?

And Chris Paul scores more than Rondo does in the playoffs.  I don't know where you are getting your information from.

I don't mean tanking as "I'm gonna put in no effort", but as in "the Bobcats suck and I will play with 70% energy to preserve myself for the playoffs and not to risk injury just to make flashy plays and have crazy stats".

What's wrong with that?

« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton

I don't mean tanking as "I'm gonna put in no effort", but as in "the Bobcats suck and I will play with 70% energy to preserve myself for the playoffs and not to risk injury just to make flashy plays and have crazy stats".

What's wrong with that?

Some guys can give full effort every night.  Guess you're saying he's not one of those guys.  That's cool.

Would've liked to see more 44-10-8 games against the HEAT.  We might've won the series.  Hopefully he wasn't saving energy during those games, since he only had one 44-10-8 in that series (in OT, not in regulation).

Just cool to know that our PG could average 10 more PPG than Jordan in his prime but chooses not to.  And scores less than CP3 in the playoffs.

« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2012, 06:25:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think it's reasonably prudent that Rondo not play as aggressively during the season as he does during the playoffs. We're not better off with our best player fighting through more nagging injuries than he gets now. OTOH, he learned about (somewhat) coasting through the season from PP/KG/RA. I'm assuming that you're not interested in that type of player?

« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2012, 06:30:15 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday

What's wrong with that?

Some guys can give full effort every night.  Guess you're saying he's not one of those guys.  That's cool.

Would've liked to see more 44-10-8 games against the HEAT.  We might've won the series.  Hopefully he wasn't saving energy during those games, since he only had one 44-10-8 in that series (in OT, not in regulation).

Just cool to know that our PG could average 10 more PPG than Jordan in his prime but chooses not to.  And scores less than CP3 in the playoffs.

Well of course, but how would you like to have Rondo out for the playoffs just because he broke his foot on a dunk against the Bobcats, while riding on a 30pt lead?

« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2012, 06:32:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Neither MJ nor LeBron could average 44/10/9 in today's NBA. Thinking Rondo can is just silly.

« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2012, 06:38:05 PM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
Neither MJ nor LeBron could average 44/10/9 in today's NBA. Thinking Rondo can is just silly.

I'm not being literal there, I'm just making a point that if Rondo risked injuries, missed games and getting beaten in the playoffs by playing a 100% every single night, he would too have overblown stats.

Nobody ever played a 100% always.. You play with a different amount of effort against AJ Price and Derrick Rose..

« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2012, 06:44:49 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

I'm not being literal there, I'm just making a point that if Rondo risked injuries, missed games and getting beaten in the playoffs by playing a 100% every single night, he would too have overblown stats.

Nobody ever played a 100% always.. You play with a different amount of effort against AJ Price and Derrick Rose..

And just what makes you think that CP3, Deron or any other top PG not named Rondo isn't doing the same thing?

« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm still trying to process the idea that Rondo playing more minutes is anything other than how sad our on-ball guard situation is.

Semi-related, CP3 and the Clips trounced Miami last night. And I enjoyed the hell out of it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.