Author Topic: Hayward has no ill will towards Celtics!  (Read 8262 times)

Re: Hayward has no ill will towards Celtics!
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 04:40:54 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I think Hayward signed with the team never expecting Tatum and Brown to supplant him so soon. Ultimately it's good for the Celtics that things didn't work out perfectly.

Bye bye Gordon. Have fun gaming and playing for the #8 seed Hornets

Completely agree with the first sentence, but I really wonder what would’ve happened if he’d never been injured. In my alternative reality, all-star level Hayward vaults that team into the Finals and a real chance at a chip. The youngsters defer to real talent and learn to play more of a ball-movement game. Tatum is an incredibly talented iso player, but I think Hayward was right (he said it elsewhere) that the team is still better when the ball moves. How many of us on this blog tear our hair out at what happens to the offense late in games - all the long 3s and iso ball. If Hayward was healthy and the alpha I think we would’ve seen a lot less of it.

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 04:41:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Is this the guy we had on the team before Payton Pritchard?

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 09:23:38 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
This is a huge counterpoint against the conspiracy narrative that “something is wrong with the C’s” because the free agents they sign end up leaving (Kyrie, Horford, Hayward)

See ya GH! Let’s see who makes an all-star team first moving forward: you or Jaylen
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 09:34:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d understand ill will to people like the OP, but not to the organisation itself
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 09:56:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think Hayward signed with the team never expecting Tatum and Brown to supplant him so soon. Ultimately it's good for the Celtics that things didn't work out perfectly.

Completely agree with the first sentence, but I really wonder what would’ve happened if he’d never been injured. In my alternative reality, all-star level Hayward vaults that team into the Finals and a real chance at a chip. The youngsters defer to real talent and learn to play more of a ball-movement game. Tatum is an incredibly talented iso player, but I think Hayward was right (he said it elsewhere) that the team is still better when the ball moves. How many of us on this blog tear our hair out at what happens to the offense late in games - all the long 3s and iso ball. If Hayward was healthy and the alpha I think we would’ve seen a lot less of it.

People crap all over Ainge, but we win at least one championship over the last three years w/o the Hayward injury. Obviously we get a prime Hayward during that time, but the youngsters also wouldn't have been put in a position to lead us to game 7 of the ECF 'alone', and that would have led to a less ornery Kyrie.

We are so lucky to have a GM like Ainge whose entire plan A creation crumbled 5 minutes into its first season. Somehow we are still making deep playoff runs and are poised for an even brighter future despite losing 3 max FAs over the last 2 years.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 10:31:19 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

People crap all over Ainge, but we win at least one championship over the last three years w/o the Hayward injury. Obviously we get a prime Hayward during that time, but the youngsters also wouldn't have been put in a position to lead us to game 7 of the ECF 'alone', and that would have led to a less ornery Kyrie.

We are so lucky to have a GM like Ainge whose entire plan A creation crumbled 5 minutes into its first season. Somehow we are still making deep playoff runs and are poised for an even brighter future despite losing 3 max FAs over the last 2 years.

Well, as long as we don't keep having bad luck with injuries. If Tatum or Brown go down for a long while, they're not winning a title.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 10:52:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It’s crazy that if Kyrie and Hayward cared a little more about winning and less about personal things and Horford too we could have had the next super team right now ... wyc would have had to pay tons of luxury tax but we could be looking at starting the season with starters:
Tatum 1st option
Kyrie 2nd option and closer
Brown 3rd option
Horford and Smart
Then off the bench :
Hayward - 6th man of the year
Tristan
Theis
This could translate into 4 all stars plus 2 all defense team players

Plus whatever else crazy draft picks Danny would make
What could have been if only certain Individuals cared more about winning
starting line-up would have Hayward in it.  Prime Hayward isn't coming off the bench

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2020, 12:29:18 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Let me fix that last quote.

"Certainly couldn't be more excited about how much money I’m making now. And looking forward to seeing my bank account."

I think 99% of us would have done the same.

If that's true, I am in the 1%.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2020, 01:33:24 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

"Certainly couldn't be more excited about how much money I’m making now. And looking forward to seeing my bank account."

I think that’s easy to say when you’re not looking $120 million dollars in the eye
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2020, 01:34:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You think you are, at least.

I suspect, though, that if an outside employer offered you significantly more money, a larger role with greater recognition, lower taxes, better weather, and a culture more in tune with yours politically, you might consider a jump.  Particularly if your last three years at your current job had been full of bad luck and your best friends had already left or been let go by the company.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 02:03:44 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

I think that’s easy to say when you’re not looking $120 million dollars in the eye

On the contrary, as Kevin McHale as GM of the Wolves told Kevin Garnett's agent during a past negotiation, " What can your client do with $120 million that he cannot do with $100 million. These guys salaries' are so out of line with reality, it's ridiculous. They should be set for life making $1 million for 1 year if they had any sense.

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2020, 02:08:50 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

You think you are, at least.

I suspect, though, that if an outside employer offered you significantly more money, a larger role with greater recognition, lower taxes, better weather, and a culture more in tune with yours politically, you might consider a jump.  Particularly if your last three years at your current job had been full of bad luck and your best friends had already left or been let go by the company.

Sure I would, but what does that have to do with Hayward making a dubious choice based on the difference between $120 and $100 million dollars. All things being equal, I would have understood Hayward choosing Indiana over the relatively similar situation you describe above. This just looks like a money grab and maybe an ego boost, choosing a situation where he can be leading scorer again - never mind that his new team will be competing for nothing significant.

You a night owl too, Roy ?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:38:37 AM by tenn_smoothie »

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2020, 02:21:22 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
It’s crazy that if Kyrie and Hayward cared a little more about winning and less about personal things and Horford too we could have had the next super team right now ... wyc would have had to pay tons of luxury tax but we could be looking at starting the season with starters:
Tatum 1st option
Kyrie 2nd option and closer
Brown 3rd option
Horford and Smart
Then off the bench :
Hayward - 6th man of the year
Tristan
Theis
This could translate into 4 all stars plus 2 all defense team players

Plus whatever else crazy draft picks Danny would make
What could have been if only certain Individuals cared more about winning

Well said. And absolutely right. Plus I love the idea of Hayward filling that historically special role with the Celtics as 6th man, following the likes of Ramsey, Havlicek, Silas, McHale, Walton and Posey - if his ego could handle coming off the bench and given he would be playing as many minutes as most of the starters.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:45:44 AM by tenn_smoothie »

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2020, 06:00:21 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
In my mind Hayward is a huge dissapointment, in regards to his personality.
He is nothing more than a money chaser, forget all that “me and brad have unfinished business” talk.

He owed the celtics one good year of Gordy, but i guess the feeling wasn’t mutual.

If he signed a deal with hometown Indy, i would get it but chasing money in Charlotte is just out of mind.

Bottom line, couldn’t care less of him, can’t wait for him to beg to be traded a year from now.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2020, 07:18:09 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
In my mind Hayward is a huge dissapointment, in regards to his personality.
He is nothing more than a money chaser, forget all that “me and brad have unfinished business” talk.

He owed the celtics one good year of Gordy, but i guess the feeling wasn’t mutual.

If he signed a deal with hometown Indy, i would get it but chasing money in Charlotte is just out of mind.

Bottom line, couldn’t care less of him, can’t wait for him to beg to be traded a year from now.

I’m definitely disappointed in how Hayward’s tenure in Boston played out, but I don’t blame him for leaving.  Part of it was definitely about the money.  $20 million or so is nothing to sneeze at.  He left money on the table when he left Utah and with his injury history, this would be his last chance at another big contract.  But I think more than that, he wanted to opportunity to be a #1 option again.  He plays the game selflessly, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have an ego.  In his mind, he’s a #1 option.  I don’t agree with him and think he’ll toil in obscurity on a mediocre Hornets team for the rest of his “prime” years, but I don’t blame him for the decision.