Poll

Who should the C's draft if they land 4th? (no Doncic, Ayton or Bagley)

Bamba
Porter Jr.
Trae Young
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Collin Sexton
Other Prospect
We Have Enough Young Guys, Trade the Pick

Author Topic: With the 4th Pick in the 2018 Draft, the Celtics select...  (Read 7768 times)

With the 4th Pick in the 2018 Draft, the Celtics select...
« on: January 02, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Let's say the LA pick conveys, but lands 4th, so we can't get Ayton, Bagley or Doncic.

Who would you prefer the Celtics take at #4?  Another pre-season top 5 guy, like Bamba or Porter Jr. if his health checks out?  Or a guy that's since emerged, like Sexton or Young? 

Or maybe there's another prospect on your mind, or you'd like to move the pick- if that's the case, please share your thoughts on other prospects or trades.  Let your opinion be heard!
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Re: With the 4th Pick in the 2018 Draft, the Celtics select...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
People are sleeping way too much on Porter JR because of the injury.
Come pre-draft workouts, he'll end up wow-ing teams with his workouts and will end up as a top 3 pick.

Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:19:00 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
People are sleeping way too much on Porter JR because of the injury.
Come pre-draft workouts, he'll end up wow-ing teams with his workouts and will end up as a top 3 pick.

I agree, assuming he checks out.  I'd still roll with one of the pre-season top 5, either Bamba (defensive anchor with tons of upside that fills a positional need) or Porter Jr. (prolific scorer and standout among the very best)

Watching our bench struggle to put up points led by guards who have trouble scoring adds some appeal to Sexton and Young, but ultimately I'd want more than a bench spark with a top 4 pick this year.  Bamba has DPOY upside and some shooting ability, and a wing tandem of Hayward-Tatum-Brown-Porter-Morris would be a deadly combo both now and in the future. 

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
4th pick, Jaylen Brown (painful), Smart in a S&T, MEM pick and fillers for Anthony Davis.

Wel, I don't know if it can be done with the current rules regarding S&Ts, but I think Ainge will be very agressive on something like that.

Another option is keeping the pick taking into account that we have to pay Irving in 2019 and a rookie-scaled contract, although high, can be very valuable. I can't choose here but I guess Bamba would be the player as we have Brown, Tatum and Hayward as very good wings.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Porter, and it's not even close. I highly doubt he comes out though. Before the season even started he said he may stay for his sophomore season. This was before his injury so I think he will go back to school but if he comes out and is available at 4....BOOM!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 12:38:16 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Bluff for trae young and trade down 2 spots for a first next year and draft mo bamba. Or trade up with grizzly and our pick for ayton. We really cannot lose if we get a pick 2-5. I've been really impressed with everyone lol.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Porter, and it's not even close. I highly doubt he comes out though. Before the season even started he said he may stay for his sophomore season. This was before his injury so I think he will go back to school but if he comes out and is available at 4....BOOM!!!!!

I think Porter goes top 3 if he comes out. He's just too talented a scorer at the wing position to be available at 4.

I'd attempt to trade the pick before picking Bamba. Just don't think he's value when picked that high.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 12:58:40 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Take porter move up with the Celtics pick to take Mitchell Robinson.. thank you

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Under this scenario, I think you take Porter, Jr. The kid is far too talented to pass up, plus the Celtics would have the luxury of allowing Porter to continue his rehab (if necessary), and bringing him along slowly, while surrounding him with veterans and players close to his age in a winning environment. If Porter proves that he is fully recovered from his surgery, then Danny could probably have a serious trade discussion about Anthony Davis without having to completely gut the roster of talent. Although, if it was up to me, I would prefer to hold onto a healthy Porter than trade him plus additional players and assets for Davis.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 01:32:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 01:36:45 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

I think Porter goes top 3 if he comes out. He's just too talented a scorer at the wing position to be available at 4.

I'd attempt to trade the pick before picking Bamba. Just don't think he's value when picked that high.
I agree he won't last until No. 4 in ANY draft but I was just going off the poll scenario above. Porter is a great talent right up there or higher than Ayton and/or Bagley. That is saying something as I'm a huge Bagley fan.
We may also have a goldmine (and a big trade chip) in the Memphis pick, which could convey as early as 2019 or be unprotected 2 years after that.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 01:43:34 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I don't think Porter is a '#1 option' kind of scorer.     

That's not to say he won't be good.  He'll be a weapon in transition, and he'll be able to knock down shots that other people create for him in the half-court.  That's valuable.  Off-ball scorers put a lot of stress on a defense.  But breaking a defense down and creating quality shots against set defense isn't his forte even in HS.  He won't miss a year and skip a level and then suddenly show up with the ability to do that to NBA-caliber defenders. 

I'd still be happy if we selected him this year, provided that his back checks out.  But I don't know that I'd prefer him over Bamba's game-altering defensive potential. 

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 02:15:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Are there any good draft and stash candidates?

With all of the young guys the Celts have on the team right now, plus needing to reintegrate Hayward next season, I think it might be best not to add any more young guys who will expect / need minutes right away.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 03:04:52 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Straight forward answer: Michael Porter. If there is any team who is picking at the top of the draft that can afford to bring a prospect like Porter along slowly to ensure full recovery, it's Boston. His ceiling is essentially Kevin Durant. Think Tatum with a couple extra inches. He is an incredibly fluid athlete.

The Danny Ainge Answer- from my persoective, there are 7 elite talents in tbe draft. Picking at 4, there will absolutely be a team that sees one of the "TOP 3" (ayton, bagley, doncic) or whoever is available at 4 (portee, bamba, young, sexton) as a top-two or top overall pick in your average draft. I think Danny is aware of this, and he will try yet again to do a small trade-back to remain in that top 7, but also gain anothee future asset to dangle at a team like New Orleans.

It is clearly DA's draft philosophy to make these type of moves, and any player not named Ayton or Bagley in this draft is realistically not starting for this team as constructed for a couple seasons.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 03:05:32 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Are there any good draft and stash candidates?

With all of the young guys the Celts have on the team right now, plus needing to reintegrate Hayward next season, I think it might be best not to add any more young guys who will expect / need minutes right away.

Not at #4, and we could use another impact bench player, which we should be able to get at #4.