24 (19.8%)
Nets
24 (19.8%)
Clippers
6 (5%)
Other
12 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 120

Author Topic: The Kyrie Irving free agency thread(to sign 4yr/$141M w/Nets page 105)  (Read 146940 times)

Re: This is why I don't want to sign Kyrie
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I have no problem with him on the court. It is off the court. Seems he is struggling and forcing leadership. Young guys just are not buying into his style or whatever it might be.

« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2019, 10:51:51 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He’s 90% of the reason we struggle... the other 10% is basketball gods punishing Ainge for stealing Hayward from Utah and trading isiah .... also not trading for Paul George when he demanded a trade must be eating Danny inside
Imagine blaming the player who is almost nightly our best player for our other players being trash week-in week-out ::)

Well, if he has the ball 90% of the time while loving to show how well he can score...

Also his shot selection kinda stinks but he hits them and people overlook it.

But hey...Tommy loves him so there's that :)

Kyrie Irving ranks 21st in the NBA in terms of time of possession.  You ready?

1.  James Harden -- 9.4 minutes per game
2. John Wall
3. Russell Westbrook
4. Damian Lillard
5. Kemba Walker
6. Trae Young
7. Chris Paul
8. Mike Conley
9. D'Angelo Russell
10. Luka Doncic
11. Ben Simmons
12. Jeff Teague
13. Lebron James
14. D.J. Augustin
15. Devin Booker
16. De'Aaron Fox
17. Kris Dunn
18. Collin Sexton
19. Dennis Smith Jr.
20. Jamal Murray
21.  Kyrie Irving - 5.5 minutes per game
21. Ricky Rubio (tied)

In terms of seconds per touch (i.e., how long does Kyrie hold the ball) he's ranked 60th in the NBA (and that filters out everyone who has appeared in less than 30 games).

Can we sticky this somewhere?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
He’s 90% of the reason we struggle... the other 10% is basketball gods punishing Ainge for stealing Hayward from Utah and trading isiah .... also not trading for Paul George when he demanded a trade must be eating Danny inside
Imagine blaming the player who is almost nightly our best player for our other players being trash week-in week-out ::)

Well, if he has the ball 90% of the time while loving to show how well he can score...

2. John Wall
3. Russell Westbrook
4. Damian Lillard
5. Kemba Walker
6. Trae Young
7. Chris Paul
8. Mike Conley
9. D'Angelo Russell
10. Luka Doncic
11. Ben Simmons
12. Jeff Teague
13. Lebron James
14. D.J. Augustin
15. Devin Booker
16. De'Aaron Fox
17. Kris Dunn
18. Collin Sexton
19. Dennis Smith Jr.
20. Jamal Murray
21. Ricky Rubio (tied)

In terms of seconds per touch (i.e., how long does Kyrie hold the ball) he's ranked 60th in the NBA (and that filters out everyone who has appeared in less than 30 games).

It won't matter.

People see what they want to see.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2019, 10:55:55 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I have no problem with him on the court. It is off the court. Seems he is struggling and forcing leadership. Young guys just are not buying into his style or whatever it might be.

This, I think, is a more fair assessment. Kyrie doesn’t seem like he has the patience for a young team. I think it’s a result of his innate personality, him having already been to the finals, and him being used to having been on vet teams (those Cavs teams were old).

If the C’s had only one productive youngster (one of Brown, Tatum, Rozier, Smart, or, well let’s face it, Morris doesn’t always act like a vet), I think it’d be more manageable. If we’re able to consolidate some of the young talent and land a vet talent like AD, I think it’d do wonders for chemistry.

- LilRip

« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2019, 10:59:05 AM »

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
That's irrelevant because all teams have a different makeup and needs.

Do those teams have about 9 guys who can score the ball?

This team just has different needs.

And seriously...with Smart and Gordon's court vision...they really don't need a Kyrie at the point.

They need a guy who can keep someone in front of him, athletic, run the break and spot up shoot.

That guy sounds familiar, too.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 11:06:57 AM by Triplenickle »

« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2019, 11:06:54 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
More I think about it, Boston has 2 options here...

First will be to tether themselves to Kyrie and move out most of the picks and young players for Davis. I think this is what Kyrie wants (and will demand in return for staying) and this is what Ainge wants. Most likely Tatum, Rozier and others will not be here next season leaving a vet heavy team in Kyrie, AD, Al, Smart and Hayward.
This might improve chemistry, but I have my doubts Brad Stevens can coach this kind of team.

Second is not resigning Kyrie, letting Mook walk, resigning Rozier and using the picks to get even younger. Horford opts in. This would give you a young team where the youth is the majority. Only Al, Hayward and Smart would be older guys. Tatum and Brown would be the focal points. Plus you could have 3 first round picks. This would be where Stevens would excel. Young team like college.

« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2019, 11:10:20 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

2. John Wall
3. Russell Westbrook
4. Damian Lillard
5. Kemba Walker
6. Trae Young
7. Chris Paul
8. Mike Conley
9. D'Angelo Russell
10. Luka Doncic
11. Ben Simmons
12. Jeff Teague
13. Lebron James
14. D.J. Augustin
15. Devin Booker
16. De'Aaron Fox
17. Kris Dunn
18. Collin Sexton
19. Dennis Smith Jr.
20. Jamal Murray
21. Ricky Rubio (tied)

It won't matter.

People see what they want to see.

'Tis true. #EyeTest
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2019, 11:26:26 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

First will be to tether themselves to Kyrie and move out most of the picks and young players for Davis. I think this is what Kyrie wants (and will demand in return for staying) and this is what Ainge wants. Most likely Tatum, Rozier and others will not be here next season leaving a vet heavy team in Kyrie, AD, Al, Smart and Hayward.
This might improve chemistry, but I have my doubts Brad Stevens can coach this kind of team.

Second is not resigning Kyrie, letting Mook walk, resigning Rozier and using the picks to get even younger. Horford opts in. This would give you a young team where the youth is the majority. Only Al, Hayward and Smart would be older guys. Tatum and Brown would be the focal points. Plus you could have 3 first round picks. This would be where Stevens would excel. Young team like college.

Option 1 will bring home a championship

Option 2 will be a series of exciting-to-watch playoff exits.
- LilRip

« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Don’t see option 1 as viable. Kyrie and Stevens don’t see eye to eye. Ainge will have to choose one if Kyrie wants to resign... I think at this point Kyrie has checked out and ( expect him to play hard in the playoffs though ) he is trying to figure where he wants to be.
The reason I think that’s the case is - everyone is criticizing his media appearances and the way he presents himself when the mic is on.... and he keeps doing the same thing almost like every day now... it’s like him saying I can do what I want and no one can tell me what should I do to be a better player or teammate..
I also think that Tatum Rozier and brown don’t care what he says anymore... they know he’s a little weird so there is no point in having an open conflict with him.

« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2019, 11:57:43 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

I don't think that AD + Kyrie is anywhere near a guarantee of a championship.

« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2019, 11:58:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think it's tenable to keep Kyrie and also go into next year with more than one or two younger players (e.g. rookie contract) in significant roles.

You need to surround Kyrie with veterans who won't read into his BS or look to him as an example or for leadership during adversity.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2019, 12:08:55 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I don't think it's tenable to keep Kyrie and also go into next year with more than one or two younger players (e.g. rookie contract) in significant roles.

You need to surround Kyrie with veterans who won't read into his BS or look to him as an example or for leadership during adversity.

My biggest issue with going this route is that you contend for 3 maybe 4 years.  With the young guys your window is longer.  Now I still can't figure out the disconnect with this team.  They just don't mesh well together.  I am unsure what is going to happen over the summer but nothing would surprise me at this point.  They've justified letting Danny blow it up.  Outside of a trip to the finals this team is going to look vastly different.  Something is missing from this team.  I can't explain it.  I've watched this team religiously for 20+ years and it's the first time that I can say I get frustrated and have to turn them off at times.  This is not a team I enjoy like I have in previous years.  Maybe the expectations were so high but I'm not sure that's it.  They just don't seem to have a killer instinct and something is missing. 

« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Tatum, Brown, and Hayward should all be starting next year and have huge roles. I'd rather have a PG that plays ferocious defense and gets others involved more. We should spend some of the savings on a big or two.

Kyrie is great but we have a better chance of beating the 3 or 4 All Star teams with a deep, balanced team.

« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2019, 12:14:26 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Tatum, Brown, and Hayward should all be starting next year and have huge roles. I'd rather have a PG that plays ferocious defense and gets others involved more. We should spend some of the savings on a big or two.

Kyrie is great but we have a better chance of beating the 3 or 4 All Star teams with a deep, balanced team.

I wouldnt mind Kemba as a replacement.

Or Ja.

Or go really crazy and run with Brown/hayward and tatum as your pg/sg/sf with hayward being the person to set stuff up...like Doncic.

« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2019, 12:15:26 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Don’t see option 1 as viable. Kyrie and Stevens don’t see eye to eye. Ainge will have to choose one if Kyrie wants to resign... I think at this point Kyrie has checked out and ( expect him to play hard in the playoffs though ) he is trying to figure where he wants to be.

"Kyrie and Stevens dont' see eye to eye.  Ainge will have to choose one if Kyrie wants to resign" and that's based on what?

And as for as him "checking out", he's putting up 26.2 pts, 8.2 asts, 6.4 rbs, and 1.7 stls over his last 9 games. That's just silly.
2021 Houston Rockets