Author Topic: How Dallas' summer impacts us  (Read 9424 times)

How Dallas' summer impacts us
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:30:06 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
- We have their 2016 1st rd pick (top 7 protected) and they play in the brutal western conference.

- Mavs beat writer said that Rondo and Ellis are gone. Zach Lowe said that those two, along with Chandler, are all likely gone in free agency.

Note: Aminu also have a 1.1M player option, which he likely won't exercise since he'll get more on the open market.

- The players they have on the books coming back are Dirk, Parsons, Harris, Powell, and Felton (likely opts in), which will take up approximately 33M in cap space.

- They have 2 picks this draft, #21 and #52, and the impact either make will likely not be significant.

- Injuries and decline. Dirk is declining by the year and it remains to be seen how much he has left in the tank. Parsons, and this is huge, might need microfracture surgery.

HOUSTON -- Dallas Mavericks small forward Chandler Parsons might need microfracture surgery on his right knee, sources told ESPNDallas.com, although there remains a possibility that the cartilage damage could be repaired with arthroscopic surgery.

If microfracture surgery is necessary, Parsons could be sidelined to begin next season.

In that case, Parsons would be expected to need four to six months of rehabilitation before beginning basketball activities and another two months before being game ready.

The final determination on whether Parsons needs microfracture surgery to regenerate the damaged cartilage will not be made until the surgeon performs the initial arthroscopic procedure to assess the damage.

So now the question is how do they improve? Which FA will actually sign with them given their roster makeup and uncertainty of their top two players (Dirk and Parsons)? Aldridge is rumored to want to be closer to home, but Dallas is probably no longer a destination if one his major goals is to advance deep into the playoffs.

Suddenly their situation looks bleak and the darker next season gets for them the brighter it does for us.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 09:39:20 AM by Eddie20 »

Re: How Dallas' summer impacts us
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:34:29 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
8th pick baby!

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:35:42 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
it would be great to get a top 10 pick from next year, but if they are that bad , I just see them tanking it because the pick is top 7 protected They can actually do this for a few years before the pick become unprotected .

If they lose Chandler,Rondo and Ellis , they might as well trade Dirk to a contender for more picks , and to suck so they don't give up that pick for a few years ...

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
it would be great to get a top 10 pick from next year, but if they are that bad , I just see them tanking it because the pick is top 7 protected , they can actually do this for a few years before the pick become unprotected .

If they lose Chandler,Rondo and Ellis , they might as well trade Dirk to a contender for more picks , and to suck so they don't give up that pick for a few years ...

I do have concern that they're so bad that the pick doesn't convey. However, I can't see Dirk traded. Cuban loves him and I expect him to play his entire career in Dallas.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 09:44:26 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
it would be great to get a top 10 pick from next year, but if they are that bad , I just see them tanking it because the pick is top 7 protected They can actually do this for a few years before the pick become unprotected .

That would be an awkward situation for a GM. Tank to ensure your once useless first rounder that now could be a lotto pick to another team stays with you by going bottom 7.

They'd have to pull a 2014-15 Knicks or Lakers and shut down their top star (Dirk) and hope some role players are bad enough to go that low. I don't see how they could get this pick back without either 1. shutting Dirk down or 2. Trading him. Both seem highly unlikely to impossible.

The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
it would be great to get a top 10 pick from next year, but if they are that bad , I just see them tanking it because the pick is top 7 protected , they can actually do this for a few years before the pick become unprotected .

I do have concern that they're so bad that the pick doesn't convey. However, I can't see Dirk traded. Cuban loves him and I expect him to play his entire career in Dallas.

A bunch of people said that about Paul Pierce too. It'd be wise for Dirk to go to a contender for 2-3 more years. Maybe he wants out.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah, might they just do what the Lakers did and completely go in the tank?

It's hard to see them doing that because they'll still have Dirk and Cuban has always been against tanking for any reason.  Plus even if they end up with the 6th worst record, all it takes is a couple teams moving up and suddenly their whole season was for naught.

They'll probably just replace Rondo and Ellis and Chandler with some OK to good free agents.

Heck, imagine this --

- Trade for Brandon Jennings.
- Sign Deandre Jordan to massive contract
- Sign Arron Afflalo
- Sign Brandon Bass

That keeps them afloat.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 09:49:51 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

A bunch of people said that about Paul Pierce too. It'd be wise for Dirk to go to a contender for 2-3 more years. Maybe he wants out.

Ainge doesn't have an emotional attachment and the ownership allows him to have final say. Cuban has an emotional attachment and he has final say. According to reports he's the one that pushed for the Rodman signing and the Rondo and Odom trades.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Heck, imagine this --

- Sign Arron Afflalo
- Sign Brandon Bass

That keeps them afloat.

They don't have the cap space to do all that. Plus, they don't have the assets. Given the protections attached to the C's 1st rd pick, the earliest future 1st rd pick they could trade is 2023.

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 09:54:25 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Yeah, might they just do what the Lakers did and completely go in the tank?

It's hard to see them doing that because they'll still have Dirk and Cuban has always been against tanking for any reason.  Plus even if they end up with the 6th worst record, all it takes is a couple teams moving up and suddenly their whole season was for naught.

They'll probably just replace Rondo and Ellis and Chandler with some OK to good free agents.

Heck, imagine this --

- Sign Arron Afflalo
- Sign Brandon Bass

That keeps them afloat.
I don't think that team makes the playoffs. So this is the type of move that I want to see.

Btw, I wonder where Monta will go. I think he would help our offense a lot and look good next to Marcus Smart. We could then package Bradley with a pick to try and move up and grab a center prospect.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think the best scenario for them would be to get Dragic in free agency (if he declines is option) and resign Chandler. I think Dragic is worth more than he's going to get paid next year. I don't think they need to go nuts going after a wing - hope that someone like Danny Green or Wes Matthews slips through the cracks. If not you should still be fine.

I think overall the Mavs are the position where they just have to go all in on Dirk. It would be selling low to dump him now.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 10:01:38 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Lookin good. I just hope they don't do an all out tank because the pick is top seven protected

I don't think they will
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 10:02:23 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I think the best scenario for them would be to get Dragic in free agency (if he declines is option) and resign Chandler. I think Dragic is worth more than he's going to get paid next year. I don't think they need to go nuts going after a wing - hope that someone like Danny Green or Wes Matthews slips through the cracks. If not you should still be fine.

I think overall the Mavs are the position where they just have to go all in on Dirk. It would be selling low to dump him now.

Why would Dragic leave a better situation (Miami) for less money in Dallas?

Dragic will be a free agent beginning July 1, but that isn’t expected to be a drawn-out process. The Heat mortgaged much of its future on Dragic (two first-round draft picks) at the trade deadline, and Riley is confident the former Phoenix Suns starter will be back.

“If he doesn’t sign, my ass is going to be in that seat, and I’ll be writing about it,” Riley said to a reporter.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 10:03:34 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Why are Monta and Tyson leaving?

That doesn't make sense to me. They were talking about them being part of the core of a post-Dirk Mavs squad just a few months ago.

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Why would Dragic leave a better situation (Miami) for less money in Dallas?

Dragic will be a free agent beginning July 1, but that isn’t expected to be a drawn-out process. The Heat mortgaged much of its future on Dragic (two first-round draft picks) at the trade deadline, and Riley is confident the former Phoenix Suns starter will be back.

“If he doesn’t sign, my ass is going to be in that seat, and I’ll be writing about it,” Riley said to a reporter.
Are you saying he'll accept his player option or decline and resign? I can't imagine he would just accept. He's been underpaid for this entire contract and he's 28.

If Miami pays to keep him the Mavs than the Mavs either have to find some flawed ball handler and hope Dirk can work his magic again and make Monta or someone similar look like a star, or they have to blow it up and trade Dirk. I don't think Cuban would blow it up though. I don't know if he ever has.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!