Poll

Does Taco make the team

Yes. Taco time is here to stay.
92 (61.7%)
No. No room for Tacos
57 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year  (Read 61989 times)

Re: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year
« Reply #300 on: August 04, 2019, 01:34:08 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
This is not an either/or scenario. They have been supporting the WNBA and building the D/G League for some time now. They will continue building the G league regardless of what happens with the WNBA, the one does not affect the other in any meaningful way.
Exactly. Also, a $10 million a year loss split up between 30 billionaire owners, comes to about $333,333 loss per NBA team a year to show basketball is a diverse sport for all. That's peanuts and a tremendous investment for the league.
Then why not give the same cut as the NBA players? If it's all PR and a great investment why the hold out? Make it happen or admit that they care about the losses.
Just because they are willing to take the loss does not mean they can't try to minimize it. There is no contradiction in the league deciding it will continue to support the WNBA even though it loses money and at the same time try to minimize those losses.
What? You do realize that there is a movement for equal pay right? That's a huge part of the hold out. Supporting women is buying into that for better or worse financially.
If women want to try out for the NBA and can make a team, then they will get equal pay as an NBA player. If women want to try out for the G League and can make a team, then they will get equal pay as a G League player. And if women want to try out for the WNBA team and can make a team, then they will get equal pay as a WNBA player.

You don't get equal pay across leagues. They are different entities. WNBA players, G League players and NBA players all get paid on different scales due to the revenue generated by each league. Once you make a league you get equal pay based on the league you played in, but G League players, WNBA players and NBA players get paid on different levels.
They are fighting for equal pay in reference to Revenue sharing.

I agree that it’s apples and oranges, though. There’s a world of difference between splitting revenue between an immensely profitable league, and one that loses money and is subsidized.

In the NBA, a roughly 50/50 of revenues leads to everyone getting rich. Owners make huge amounts of money, as do players.

In the WNBA, only four franchises made a profit. Giving players 50% of revenue would mean every franchise would be likely to lose significant money.  That’s a recipe for bankruptcy, particularly when the WNBA losses are real, rather than accounting tricks.
I agree just was stating the situation. I assume that they settle for less but it will still equal more loses unless something changes. Maybe as others suggest they add games?
Adding games sounds great, but wouldn't the quality of play go down? From the little I've seen the quality really isn't great as it is imo, I've seen some missed wide open layups, including one from a star player from Indiana iirc a few years ago.

We are not going to go down the road with this subject. Please do not bring it up.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 02:05:49 PM by nickagneta »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #301 on: August 04, 2019, 02:06:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Time to bring the subject back to Tacko Fall. Anyone wanting to discuss the WNBA can create a thread to talk about it.

« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2019, 04:48:52 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Time to bring the subject back to Tacko Fall. Anyone wanting to discuss the WNBA can create a thread to talk about it.

Okay here you go:

Tacko will be wearing #99 this year.

https://twitter.com/RedsArmy_John/status/1164603217734508550?s=20

« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Okay here you go:

If he makes the team....that's kinda important.

« Reply #304 on: August 22, 2019, 05:05:13 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Okay here you go:

If he makes the team....that's kinda important.

That's true, but since I'm an optimist I don't pay attention to small details.  :)

« Reply #305 on: August 22, 2019, 06:24:59 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Hope he signs a 2 way deal..dont need one of those guards who already has a 2 way deal
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #306 on: August 22, 2019, 08:03:42 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Tacko is getting quite a few bets from Vegas to win rookie of the year.

100$ pays over $10,000.

I got $1,000 on it. If I win big Celtics blog party!

« Reply #307 on: August 22, 2019, 08:14:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

100$ pays over $10,000.

I really hope you are kidding. Would hate to see anyone flush $1000 down the toilet like that.

« Reply #308 on: August 22, 2019, 08:23:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

100$ pays over $10,000.

I really hope you are kidding. Would hate to see anyone flush $1000 down the toilet like that.
But if he wins...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #309 on: August 22, 2019, 08:30:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

100$ pays over $10,000.

But if he wins...
Lol....

Makes you wonder though, was there ever an undrafted Rookie of the Year? I am too lazy to look it up.

« Reply #310 on: August 22, 2019, 09:08:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

100$ pays over $10,000.

But if he wins...
Lol....

Makes you wonder though, was there ever an undrafted Rookie of the Year? I am too lazy to look it up.
The closest I found was Woody Sauldsberry in the 1950’s. The ROY seems to mostly be a lotto pick, outside of the Brogdon’s of the world
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #311 on: August 22, 2019, 09:10:32 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Hope he signs a 2 way deal..dont need one of those guards who already has a 2 way deal

Waters and Strus already have 2-way contracts.
They're very good players, so I don't think the Celts will give up on them any time soon.

That means Tacko will be the 15th man or he's gone.

Teams will be lining up to sign Tacko if the Celts waive him.
The hype alone that Tacko generates is enough for NBA teams to invest in Tacko.

There's no way Ainge will let Tacko end up with another NBA team.

My money is on Tacko being part of the 15-man roster on opening night.

« Reply #312 on: August 22, 2019, 09:25:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

They're very good players, so I don't think the Celts will give up on them any time soon.

i do not know, so i am asking other posters. aside from the scenario above, could ainge put either waters or strus on the 15 man roster and have taco as a two-way player?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #313 on: August 22, 2019, 09:40:46 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

i do not know, so i am asking other posters. aside from the scenario above, could ainge put either waters or strus on the 15 man roster and have taco as a two-way player?

Here's the thing, there are reports saying that teams will sign Tacko if the Celts don't sign him.

I'm sure Tacko will prefer being the 15th man on another team than settling for a 2-way with the Celts.

All 30 NBA teams passed on Tacko on draft night 2019.
Only the Celts gave Tacko a chance by signing him to an Exhibit 10 contract after the draft.
I don't think the other 29 teams of the NBA will once again pass on Tacko, for the 3rd time, if the Celts don't lock him up.

« Reply #314 on: August 22, 2019, 10:04:49 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Here's the thing, there are reports saying that teams will sign Tacko if the Celts don't sign him.

I'm sure Tacko will prefer being the 15th man on another team than settling for a 2-way with the Celts.

All 30 NBA teams passed on Tacko on draft night 2019.
Only the Celts gave Tacko a chance by signing him to an Exhibit 10 contract after the draft.
I don't think the other 29 teams of the NBA will once again pass on Tacko, for the 3rd time, if the Celts don't lock him up.

It should also be pointed out:  Tacko is already currently ON an NBA contract.  Contractually, the Celtics do not have to do _anything_ to keep him other than to NOT CUT HIM.

This would leave him on his current non-guaranteed minimum NBA contract.   They can still cut him at any time all year, though his contract would become fully guaranteed somewhere around January 10th.   Going this route gives them flexibility and they don't have to futz with any other players' contracts (such as they'd have to do if they tried to convert him to a 2-way).   They can still just play him in Maine all year because as a player with less than 3 years service they can send him to the G-League as much as they want.

And that also happens to be the best scenario for Tacko as well.  Staying the year on his current contract will pay him about 5 times more than if he was converted to a 2-Way contract and about 10 times more than if he switched to a conventional G-League contract.

There is really at this point no reason to expect that won't happen.   They just won't come out and say it for now because Javante Green technically is still eligible to gain that last 15th roster slot.   So they aren't going to officially say anything until Javante gets cut, probably at the end of training camp.   

Javante got paid a little bit of guaranteed money to provide an incentive to go through these motions and he does have at least a non-zero chance of earning that roster spot (someone could get injured or maybe Tacko falls on his face during training camp, who knows?).   Javante will be offered a spot on the Red Claws roster.  That will be a normal G-League contract, but combined with the bit of guaranteed money in his camp contract he will be okay for the year.   He might still jump ship for a bigger contract overseas or if another NBA team bites, though.

So while nothing is 100%, by far the most likely outcome is that Tacko is on the roster this Fall as the 15th man.  However, given the depth on this team, he will likely be inactive and will spend most if not all of this year in Maine, continuing to work on fundamentals.

If he does well, they will have a chance to sign him longer term next Summer.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.