Author Topic: De'Andre Hunter  (Read 3729 times)

De'Andre Hunter
« on: January 19, 2021, 06:49:51 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If I were Danny, my #1 target going into the trade season would have been De'Andre Hunter. He's a 3+D type of swing who has shown flashes of shot creation skills. He's also a willing passer. Reminds me a lot of Mikal Bridges, only 2 inches taller and about 2 inches longer.

Problem is, why would the Hawks trade him? Well, they need an elite perimeter defender to put next to Trae Young. The C's got an elite guard defender in Marcus Smart. Imo, he's the 2nd best guard defender in the NBA behind only Ben Simmons (who ain't exactly a guard to begin with). Smart for Hunter straight up isn't a valid trade. More piece(s) must be involved. 

The Hawks have plenty of interesting players. Here are some of them.

Onyeka Okongwu: Mobile big man who can switch ball screens on the perimeter. In theory, he'd be a perfect fit in our defensive system. That said, imo he'll be a bust. I just don't think he's long enough to play the 5. He ain't skilled enough to play the 4 either.

Cam Reddish: Versatile wing defender. His offensive game is a work in progress.

John Collins: No need to write about Collins. He might be CelticsStrong's binkie.

Kevin Huerter: Promising wing shooter. His defense leaves a lot to be desired.

Kris Dunn: Poor man's Marcus Smart. Imo, he's the best on-ball guard defender in the NBA. In fact, he comfortably led the league in STL% last season. Smart is hands down a more versatile/switchable defender.

Given that the Hawks would be adding Smart, I would assume that Dunn makes perfect sense to be included in the trade. Let's say the C's throw in Semi, who's a poor man's Hunter.

(click on image to enlarge)

Feel free to include pick(s) if you deem it necessary or to come up with an idea of your own.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:25:38 AM by Jvalin »

Re: De'Andre Hunter
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 06:57:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d love Hunter. Great versatile forward.

Dunno if the Hawks want to get rid of him for Smart, given how cost-controlled he is. Reddish might be more readily available
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 07:09:56 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Dunno if the Hawks want to get rid of him for Smart, given how cost-controlled he is. Reddish might be more readily available
Don't think he'll ever become an All-Star, cause he can't consistently create his own shot. I view him as an elite 3+D type of prospect who can put the ball on the floor a little bit. That's a very useful role player for a contending team or an empty stats guy for a lotto team. He's also kind of old for a second-year prospect. I mean, he turned 23 last December. How much better can he get? Fwiw, Smart is 26 (almost 27).

You think we need to add more value? If so, what would be fair value for Hunter in your book?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:35:43 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 08:19:57 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
It doesn't make much sense for Atlanta to move him.
He is their pick, on their roster timeline, and is still improving.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 09:07:12 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
How useful is he going to be in the playoffs when JB and JT are playing 40 mpg. He would also be what, a 4th or 5th option? The C’s adding another wing player when they are in desperate need of a better big doesn’t make sense to me. Theis and Thompson are not getting it done.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 09:48:21 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
How useful is he going to be in the playoffs when JB and JT are playing 40 mpg. He would also be what, a 4th or 5th option? The C’s adding another wing player when they are in desperate need of a better big doesn’t make sense to me. Theis and Thompson are not getting it done.
How useful he'd be? I bet he'd instantly become a starter for us. He's a versatile swing defender, hence he'd be a perfect fit in our defensive system. He's also a floor spacer on offense. If we plan to use Smart mostly off the ball next to Kemba, then gimme Hunter over Smart. He's a better shooter, cutter and slasher. Smart is a better defender, passer and ball handler.

depth chart assuming we trade Smart + Semi for Hunter + Dunn

PG: Kemba - Pritchard - Teague
SG: Brown - Dunn - Green - Edwards
SF: Hunter - Romeo - Nesmith
PF: Tatum - Grant - Hunter - Theis
C: Thompson - Theis - Timelord

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 10:34:45 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I'd love to get Hunter, but I can't imagine the Hawks letting go of him, even for Smart. He's exactly the kind of player they need to surround Trae Young with.

Of all the trades that have been proposed here, this is the sort the Celts should be pursuing. Not some 7' dinosaur who fits no part of our offense or defense. But IMO, Danny Ainge will never trade Marcus Smart. Maybe at the deadline next season, and only if Smart has told him he wants out.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 10:35:59 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
He would be a starter, allow Smart to come off the bench, and take a defensive load off Jaylen & Jayson.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 10:45:11 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Just to set expectations, I doubt this will be the type of deal that will get done, where there is a straight up clean swap of players for players.

I expect Ainge to be opportunistic instead. He will lurk at the trade deadline and look for value by facilitating some deal or cap management another team wants to do badly.

Hunter is a very nice two way player, and I personally believe Smart's inability to accept a reasonable offensive role, combined with his useful contract and value make him an excellent trade option. I'd love anything along these lines, but I agree with others who see him as a tough get.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 10:51:10 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
How useful he'd be? I bet he'd instantly become a starter for us. He's a versatile swing defender, hence he'd be a perfect fit in our defensive system. He's also a floor spacer on offense. If we plan to use Smart mostly off the ball next to Kemba, then gimme Hunter over Smart. He's a better shooter, cutter and slasher. Smart is a better defender, passer and ball handler.

So we are going to have a small ball starting lineup every game? I like Tatum at the 4 against smaller teams, but not full time. He’s not a true PF and I think the C’s are in need of one.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 10:52:20 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
He would be a starter, allow Smart to come off the bench, and take a defensive load off Jaylen & Jayson.

The OP has him being part of the trade. So Smart would no longer be on the team in this scenario.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 11:13:03 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

So we are going to have a small ball starting lineup every game? I like Tatum at the 4 against smaller teams, but not full time. He’s not a true PF and I think the C’s are in need of one.

Brown and Hunter both can match up somewhat better against beefier guys than Tatum. Its a switchable group of 3 very interchangeable parts, not a matchup. Call Jaylen a power forward if you like. Hunter would be awesome for our defense. I wish we could get him.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 11:39:58 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

We had a small ball starting lineup every game last season as well.

Kemba - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Theis

6th man: Smart (he actually started 40 games due to injuries)

Don't think we need a PF. I like Tatum at the 4 against oversized lineups. He's more explosive than his opponents, which gives him a massive advantage on the offensive side of the ball. I mean, he can blow by traditional PFs on the perimeter! At the same time, he's a great fit in our defensive system. The C's run a switch-heavy defensive scheme. A traditional PF wouldn't be as switchable as Tatum.

Alternatively, we could use Hunter at the 4 and Tatum at the 3. Hunter is 6'8'' with a 7'2'' wingspan. He can play both swing positions. Personally speaking, I'd rather use him at the 3, but it ain't a big deal either way.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 11:46:50 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 12:13:31 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Don't think he'll ever become an All-Star, cause he can't consistently create his own shot. I view him as an elite 3+D type of prospect who can put the ball on the floor a little bit. That's a very useful role player for a contending team or an empty stats guy for a lotto team. He's also kind of old for a second-year prospect. I mean, he turned 23 last December. How much better can he get? Fwiw, Smart is 26 (almost 27).

You think we need to add more value? If so, what would be fair value for Hunter in your book?
Considering how Andre Iguodala made an All-Star team and was snubbed from All-Star selections for most of his prime in the vein of the bolded (swapping out elite shooting for really good passing), I don't see why Hunter couldn't follow in his footsteps and actually get recognised for the impact that a player who excels in that role can bring to high level teams.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 12:21:57 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Brown and Hunter both can match up somewhat better against beefier guys than Tatum. Its a switchable group of 3 very interchangeable parts, not a matchup. Call Jaylen a power forward if you like. Hunter would be awesome for our defense. I wish we could get him.
^this. I'm not sure what people are watching in games, Brown was our go-to guy when we need someone to guard elite 4s last season and he was really good at limiting big forwards. Tatum was often asked to guard the more perimeter oriented forward, he's not going to be "playing PF" in the lineup above, he'll be guarding the weaker 2/3 on the opposing team unless they're starting a skilled wing who relies on length and skill to generate offence instead of power and speed at the 3/4 (that's the only type of good offensive player he's good at defending 1 on 1, which to be fair includes guys like Durant/Kawhi/Middleton/George).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA