Author Topic: What do you do for work?  (Read 32390 times)

Re: What do you do for work?
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2014, 10:43:28 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
well, i did not post in the original thread, but in 2009 i was an associate director of asian studies and prof at a major research university. today, i am executive director of international studies in a large, private school...which is pretty much what i would have hoped for.  :)

what struck me was seeing all the old posters and remembering them.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
CPA

Got a family member looking into becoming a CPA - eventually.  Currently in High School.  Can you provide advice?  Stay away? Good money? Best paying CPA jobs? Do's and Don'ts....anything

« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
CPA

Got a family member looking into becoming a CPA - eventually.  Currently in High School.  Can you provide advice?  Stay away? Good money? Best paying CPA jobs? Do's and Don'ts....anything

I'm one myself.  Work on the public tax side of things. 

It's a great certification to have.  It can really open up some doors from a career path standpoint. Public, industry, government (well, maybe not the IRS right now).... 

Lots of work.  The CPA exam is not fun.  Also, depending on the state, they'll probably need a masters degree or, at least, 150 credit hours.  I went & got a masters in taxation.  A lot of CPAs I know went and got the masters in accountancy. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
To know what is that I do would be a shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist. I'm a young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Does a job like that come with dental?

« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2014, 11:08:30 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
CPA

It's a great certification to have.  It can really open up some doors from a career path standpoint. Public, industry, government (well, maybe not the IRS right now).... 

Lots of work.  The CPA exam is not fun.  Also, depending on the state, they'll probably need a masters degree or, at least, 150 credit hours.  I went & got a masters in taxation.  A lot of CPAs I know went and got the masters in accountancy.

Greatly appreciated!!

« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
CPA

Greatly appreciated!!

I would highly recommend it.  It is a lot of work, but its nice being in a company that still has a corporate ladder that is easily climbable. 

for instance in boston at my firm the progression is

Associate (1 yr)
Experienced Associate (1 yr)
Senior Associate (3 yr)
Manager (3 yr)
Senior Manager (god only knows)
Executive Director/Partner

But basically if you stick it out 5 years you will be a manager making over 100K, which for the average employee, (27-28 years old at that point) is pretty solid.

It is a lot of work though.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Associate (1 yr)
Senior Associate (3 yr)
Manager (3 yr)
So which Big 4 company do you work for? :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2014, 11:32:10 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
CPA

Greatly appreciated!!

I would highly recommend it.  It is a lot of work, but its nice being in a company that still has a corporate ladder that is easily climbable. 

for instance in boston at my firm the progression is

Associate (1 yr)
Senior Associate (3 yr)
Manager (3 yr)

But basically if you stick it out 5 years you will be a manager making over 100K, which for the average employee, (27-28 years old at that point) is pretty solid.

It is a lot of work though.

Awesome!  Wow, didn't know the pay is so nice. 

« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Top accounting firms pay a lot. However, it is a lot of work, and at the top levels -- a lot of responsibility (and liability :P, think Arthur Andersen).

It is not an unrealistic expectation to pull 60 hour weeks during the first years on the job (at least that's how it went ~10 years ago, I hear Gen Y is resisting the trend ;-D).

It's also worth noting that a lot of the big firms in the field have an up-or-out policy, so they're likely to counsel you out if they decide at some point that you're not promotion material.

In a nutshell, it can be a very rewarding career, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't understand or enjoy accounting as a discipline or working with people. Not that a kid in high school can know that yet, but these are things to keep an eye open about to save yourself a lot of frustration.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
Top accounting firms pay a lot. However, it is a lot of work, and at the top levels -- a lot of responsibility (and liability :P, think Arthur Andersen).

It is not an unrealistic expectation to pull 60 hour weeks during the first years on the job (at least that's how it went ~10 years ago, I hear Gen Y is resisting the trend ;-D).

It's also worth noting that a lot of the big firms in the field have an up-or-out policy, so they're likely to counsel you out if they decide at some point that you're not promotion material.
had a friend who worked in deloitte touche a few years back and this is exactly what she faced as a job. lots money but no life or time to spend it. she eventually quit, after piling up a nice pile of bucks.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Associate (1 yr)
Senior Associate (3 yr)
Manager (3 yr)
So which Big 4 company do you work for? :P

Haha, one with two letters
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
had a friend who worked in deloitte touche a few years back and this is exactly what she faced as a job. lots money but no life or time to spend it. she eventually quit, after piling up a nice pile of bucks.
It gets better, and experienced Big 4 professionals are valued and highly sought after in the industry (so it's an easy exit if you want out after you accrue some tenure). But the early grind is merciless.

« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2014, 11:46:51 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Haha, one with two letters
Staying tight with the recent corporate rebranding, I like it ;)

My wife works there, in the Boston office.

« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2014, 11:49:35 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
**** Star, go by the name, Buck Naked.

« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
It gets better, and experienced Big 4 professionals are valued and highly sought after in the industry (so it's an easy exit if you want out after you accrue some tenure). But the early grind is merciless.

It's certainly a grind at the beginning but you also have to think of it along the lines of "paying your dues". 

I jumped to a smaller firm back in Sept from an upper/mid size firm (Think second tier outside of Big 4).  Last winter really killed me and I was looking for better work/life balance at this point.   Wanted to stay in public but focus on smaller businesses and entrepreneur types.  Develop a specialty more with flow-throughs & individuals. 

I will say that I've noticed that working at my previous firm set a heckuva foundation that I didn't fully realize until I started working at my new firm.  Now I'm seeing it and more appreciative of it.  Still, I wouldn't go back to that environment in a million years.  It eats away at you, especially when you're jumping into your 30s.   It takes its toll.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team