Author Topic: The belief that Brown, Tatum, and Hayward will all be on this team next year.  (Read 3914 times)

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
If I recall correctly - Al (and maybe Gordo's) contract expires as Brown and some of the young ones are set to re-up.

To tinker with a completely new team because they have had a slow start (but are still 9-6 after a pretty tough road trip) is how you end up being the Washington Wizards.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If I recall correctly - Al (and maybe Gordo's) contract expires as Brown and some of the young ones are set to re-up.

To tinker with a completely new team because they have had a slow start (but are still 9-6 after a pretty tough road trip) is how you end up being the Washington Wizards.
Thats fine, but it’s not like brown is a max player or anything.  Somlosing Hayward or horford for brown (for example) is a huge downgrade.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
We're 15 games into a season where our team has an entirely new dynamic.....and yet people want to make snap decisions concerning extremely talented players.

We don't want to become the OKC Thunder.

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
We're 15 games into a season where our team has an entirely new dynamic.....and yet people want to make snap decisions concerning extremely talented players.

It is the opposite.

The most difficult thing for a fan to accept is a team with two many potential good players.

One ball syndrome,

I know our fans love these guys, especially as they were drafted here, but Tatum's quick rise along with Hayward's signing has made it clear that while all these guys can co-exist and win (we know they can win together), they all wont be able to stay here, both for money reasons, for ego reasons ( wanting to be something more valuable to a team) , and also not wanting to be a 3rd, 4th fiddle....

That doesnt even include ainge licking his chops at all the value he has right now.

ITs a sad truth of the sport. Something that in prior teams and years when i was younger i always denied.....i always told myself these guys will always stick together. Not the case.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Not sure but Hayward played beautifully last night. 
The team is going to love and respect him and that’s great for
The team’s chemistry..

Any of them could be gone for Davis but I don’t think Davis will be moved,
Unless maybe the Sac pick lands at 2 to combine with a massive package.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Not a snap decision for me.  It’s a legit evaluation of brown long term.  He might be a better player in another situation but this is a bad one for him.

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
Next year??? I don't think they all will be on the team at the end of this year..

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
We are starting to come together. Great win last night. No reason to make moves right now. Irving now fired off all the rust and hayward doesn't look far behind him.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

It is the opposite.

The most difficult thing for a fan to accept is a team with two many potential good players.

One ball syndrome,

I know our fans love these guys, especially as they were drafted here, but Tatum's quick rise along with Hayward's signing has made it clear that while all these guys can co-exist and win (we know they can win together), they all wont be able to stay here, both for money reasons, for ego reasons ( wanting to be something more valuable to a team) , and also not wanting to be a 3rd, 4th fiddle....

That doesnt even include ainge licking his chops at all the value he has right now.

ITs a sad truth of the sport. Something that in prior teams and years when i was younger i always denied.....i always told myself these guys will always stick together. Not the case.

History says you are absolutely correct.  Quite frankly, I can't disagree.  However, here is some food for thought:

- Tatum would be averaging 19.3 PPG if his shooting efficiency was equivalent to last season.  I think he can create enough good looks in this offense to match his rookie efficiency on higher volume.  Long term he should have no issues averaging 20+ PPG without completely dominating touches on offense.

- Jaylen would be right at his 14.5 PPG from last season if he matched last seasons efficiency.   

There are two crucial questions in regards to keeping this core together long term.  Will they be become an elite scoring team in both volume and efficiency?  On paper they have the potential to be closer to a 115+ PPG in the modern NBA.  There's no way they stay together if this doesn't happen.

The other question is will Kyrie give Tatum and Jaylen the opportunity to thrive as they begin to enter their prime years?  I'm starting to believe that Kyrie would sacrifice personal statistics if it means being part of an extended championship window.  At the end of the day he will never lose his role as an elite closer, but I could absolutely envision him allowing the young guys to carry the load throughout the duration of a long regular season.  For example, would Kyrie live with 18 PPG at career high levels of efficiency?  As for Hayward, I think he could settle into a 17-18 PPG, 5 RPG, and 5 APG role, as long as the team is winning.  He already earned his big payday.

Obviously we don't know the answers to these questions, but the optimist in me hopes that Ainge and Steven's can make something like this work.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:35:36 PM by Green-18 »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BOS.html

Horford and Brown are up the same time
Hayward and Tatum are up the same time

Horfod won't get a big contact, maybe someth along the blines of Bayens but a little better. No insult to big Al but he should reup for a bench role.  We'll see where Robert Williams is in two years and what next years rookies look like.  We may get a nice big man with the Kings or Grizzlies pick. 

Hayward is younger and could still start, but if we pay Brown that will affect what we can do for Hayward because Tatum is getting a max contract.  Alot depends on Brown's development and Hayward's ability to return to form.

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

It is the opposite.

One ball syndrome,

History says you are absolutely correct.  Quite frankly, I can't disagree.  However, here is some food for thought:

- Tatum would be averaging 19.3 PPG if his shooting efficiency was equivalent to last season.  I think he can create enough good looks in this offense to match his rookie efficiency on higher volume.  Long term he should have no issues averaging 20+ PPG without completely dominating touches on offense.

- Jaylen would be right at his 14.5 PPG from last season if he matched last seasons efficiency.   

There are two crucial questions in regards to keeping this core together long term.  Will they be become an elite scoring team in both volume and efficiency?  On paper they have the potential to be closer to a 115+ PPG in the modern NBA.  There's no way they stay together if this doesn't happen.

The other question is will Kyrie give Tatum and Jaylen the opportunity to thrive as they begin to enter their prime years?  I'm starting to believe that Kyrie would sacrifice personal statistics if it means being part of an extended championship window.  At the end of the day he will never lose his role as an elite closer, but I could absolutely envision him allowing the young guys to carry the load throughout the duration of a long regular season.  For example, would Kyrie live with 18 PPG at career high levels of efficiency?  As for Hayward, I think he could settle into a 17-18 PPG, 5 RPG, and 5 APG role, as long as the team is winning.  He already earned his big payday.

Obviously we don't know the answers to these questions, but the optimist in me hopes that Ainge and Steven's can make something like this work.

Its true, they would be #1 easily if they were playing up to standard, but part of the problem is what I mentioned, that could be the main reason why they arent up to standard, thus our reason connecting eachother.

Also which is why I said and what Celtic fans have said. If this team plays efficiently , they are easily top 3 in the league and can make some big time noise.

I think they can do that, but Ainge might see a better opportunity and he will also take into account what he will have to do down the road.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I expect them all to be here. Why not?

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I would expect them all to be here. However if Danny were to pull the trigger on something major it would involve Brown. 

Hayward as no value right now plus you have issue of dealing a guy you wooed to get here, suffers the unfortunate injury and you ship him out of town within a year of his comeback? Tatum has the highest upside of the 3. He's not going anywhere.

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Unfortunately, Hayward was injured... because he has a skill set that neither Brown or Tatum can compete with.

Gordon is a very good passer, his basketball IQ is superior to both. He's also a solid experienced defender who uses savvy to compete. In a pinch, he can be the main distributor of the ball similar to what Horford does. Pre-injury he scored at a 22.0 point per game clip. He scores in many different ways too.

I don't see how the Celtics could just unload him for pennies on the dollar and then make an offer to another premier free agent and be taken seriously.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I used to think the sum of our star talent young players, and we have so many, is greater than one generational player like AD or Durant.

But really...5 at a time. Get the best 5 you can, right?

Brown, Rozier, and those picks next year should perk up some GM ears. It's a KG-like 2-young potential impact players plus picks, with Yabu playing filler role (Gomes?) and Smart as Marcus Banks.

It kinda works in the mind. If AD moves, he comes here with Horford, Irving, and yes Hayward.