Author Topic: How did you get into the Celtics  (Read 9006 times)

How did you get into the Celtics
« on: August 30, 2009, 11:12:40 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm going to c+p my fanpost, b/c I want to hear how and why you became the obsessive Celtics fan you are.

"I'll start off by showing my age and giving a little context, because I think when you became a Celtics fan truly affects your current experience with fandom today.  I was born in 1982.  My first Celtic related memory (i.e. the first time I really tuned in and paid attention) was the drafting of Eric Montross.  I remember it like it was yesterday on the sportscast; they called him Eric the Red.  I still don't know why ( I get the historical reference, but was this really his nickname? Somewhere deep in my subconscious I remember someone calling him Ostertross as well, not sure if it was a dig at him being like Greg Ostertag or something along those lines, but I've digressed).  Ok, so they draft Montross, and I'm paying attention.  I believe I was going into 7th grade.  I had never picked up a basketball, but for some reason I decided to start watching the Celtics.  I played my first NBA live game that year, and got crushed using the c's.  I watched many games and my mother would bring home the herald and globe from work for me to catch stats, results and get pictures, which I faithfully cut out and stored, not really sure why but I did.

So that team more or less stunk, but not enough to miss the playoffs where they met a young Shaq and actually won a game.  Sherman Douglas was my hero of the season, I hoped he'd never leave.  I took all of those pictures and made a collage that still hangs on my wall today.

1995 came along and so came a coaching change with the cards set for one of the biggest tank jobs in NBA history, but not for another year.  Dana Barros came aboard, I remember excidedly hearing the news on ESPN and not believing it could be true; a 20 ppg allstar coming to the c's as a free agent?  It doesn't get any better right?  I also attended my first Celtics game that year, and my parents got some pretty darned good seats - the ticket is still on my wall.  It was Dec 22, 1995 and three amazing things happened in the game.  Todd Day tied Larry Bird's record for points in a quarter, Dana Barros broke the NBA record for consecutive games with a 3 pointer and Dino Radja hit some game winning free throws.  I was hooked forever after that game.  That year was also the year that I decided I should play basketball.  I saved up, bought a backyard hoop and shot and shot and shot and shot.  No one taught me how, and some of the bad habits from back then are still with me today.  I joined my first team as well, and I was awful.  But basketball by the time I was in 8th grade, was an entrenched part of my life.

Then we go through the dark years, worst team ever in the tank job year, but the hopeful drafting of guys like Walker and Pierce and Mercer and Billups and Moiso and so on and so forth.  I thought every one would be perfect, and some panned out, some were sent to greener pastures and some were named Jerome Moiso...

Matching my enthusiasm and persistence with the team was my mother's joining the bandwagon.  Of course it wasn't much of a bandwagon because generally the team was terrible, but she watched every game (something I never did) and came with me on occasion to games as well.  It was a new way of bonding and it was great.

I was going to more and more games and becoming serviceable on the court myself (not great, hardly even good, but I could play the game fundamentally and could hit 3s, in retrospect I never progressed much past that..hmm)

Fast forward to 2008 and its the dream year for a fan like me.  Sure the team made it into the playoffs a few times; they even made the Eastern Conference Finals, but this year was special; I just knew it.  My mother passed away right as the rumors were floating about KG coming.  Ray came first, then KG and I knew it was going to be an awesome year.  Every piece of media I could get my hands on, I kept, cutting out pictures just like during my first season.  And they won it.  After all these years of mediocrity the boys won the title.  I knew my mother was watching with the best seats in the house cheering right along.  And those pictures?  I made another collage, which hangs opposite of the one from my first year following the team.

Being a Celtics fan is truly a great thing.  I know some people have been with the team since the days of Hondo and Russ and all that; some came into it with the Big 3; some came into it with the new Big 3.  But from where I started, the only place to go was up, and seeing them win that title was about as special a feeling as I have had.  And I hope they bring another one in this year, but for some reason I don't think I'll ever reach that height of exhilaration.  But like I said before basketball is in my blood at this point and there's no way to get it out (and of course the blood is green).

Thanks for reading, I hope others have stories about how they got into the C's or hoops in general."

When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: How did you get into the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Birth.

My father was (still is) a fanatic.

I vaguely remember the `74 series, but I distinctly remember listening to Johnny on the radio for the epic 3 ot game vs the Suns & knowing that Dad was there.

I went to some games in the 70's and a ton in the 80's.  My father had pretty sweet seats all through the Bird years.

I knew the history of the early dynasty inside out even though I sisn't live through it.  I knew Cousy's retirement speech word for word, sniffle for sniffle by wearing out the family copy of this record (still have it)

Always loved the C's - even when they stunk.

Yup

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
When I was 13 we moved out in the middle of the country. No light. motorcars, cable, not a single luxery. My parents had purchased a dish so we could watch something more than fuzz. I remember mentioning to my mom that we couldn't get Bucks games for some reason. Being from Taughton, she had suggested that I watch the Celtics because we were able to get some stations from the NE area. I cannot tell you how much I am greatful for that twist of fate.

On a side note, when we would watch sporting events on the dish we didn't have to watch the commercials. I was able to here Tommy and Cousy talk during the breaks. I remember during a game in Chicago the cameraman zoomed in on a good looking blonde and it was hilarious to hear both of their comments about her. It was like two guys in a bar talking about a girl across the room.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 11:42:08 AM »

Offline CelticPride18

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 29
Born and raised in Boston, no choice.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 11:59:08 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
When I was two, I got hit in the head with a Celtics-themed basketball. I knew it was meant to be after that day on..
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 12:11:43 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I don't know, I just grew up watching them, I can't remember a time when I wasn't a fan.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Remember it like it was yesterday. I was eleven. I was a huge Red Sox fan and had just gone nuts the year before with my first ever, real, watching sports during a championship run. The Reds beat the Sox in the greatest World Series ever and I had become a television watching sports fanatic.

So, it's Friday night and my parents had to go to a wedding and my older cousin was watching me and my brother and I convinced her that my parents said I could stay up late and watch TV. But nothing interested me so I switched it over to the basketball game because it had a Boston team and because we only got 5 stations at the time(4,5,7,38 and 56). A few hours later, after 3 overtimes and a Boston win over Phoenix to take control of the 1976 Finals, I was hooked forever.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 12:17:45 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
my dad was always a die hard.  i remember as a kid watching the game with the volume down, with most calling the game on the radio.  loved being around my dad and experiencing it.  

however, the "thing" that got me hooked.....was watching the 1984 finals.  after that i bled green the rest of my life.

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 12:36:32 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Never a choice.  I was born in Worcester, and even though we moved to California, I was taught to love everything from the state of Massachusetts, or at least to be an apologist for everything New England.

Given that during this time the Celtics had players by the name of Cousy, Russell, Jones, and many others, it was not difficult to root for a winner when it came to basketball.

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 12:47:08 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
If you had asked me two years ago, I wouldīve said "watching Larry Bird play at the Olympics in 1992". But Larry retired after the Olympics, and I know for sure that I saw him play in green.

You know, I wasnīt aware of it back then, but I have a certain talent for pace and rythm, and I think I have a pretty good sense for Aesthetics...and Larry combined all these things masterfully (even with the mustache). Looking back at the things I liked when I was a kid, aside from stuff like He-Man and Star Wars, they always had a certain pace (in lack of a better word), that made them stand out for me, and noone epitomized this more than Larry.

It was just pure beauty to watch him play. He had more feel for rythm and pace in what he did (Basketball) than any other person I`ve seen until that day, and I was able to recognize that, even if I didnīt understand the game of Basketball.

Oh, and my inexplicable hate for anything Purple, Gold, Orange and Blue certainly helped, too.
At least, thatīs how I explain it to myself.

So, somewhere in the early 90ies, I became a Celtic fan because of Larry Bird, and my love for the Celtics stuck with me even after he retired.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:54:31 PM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 01:01:42 PM »

Offline CelticPride18

• Joe Mazzulla
Never a choice.  I was born in Worcester, and even though we moved to California, I was taught to love everything from the state of Massachusetts, or at least to be an apologist for everything New England.

Given that during this time the Celtics had players by the name of Cousy, Russell, Jones, and many others, it was not difficult to root for a winner when it came to basketball.

TP for surviving Worcester.

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 01:10:59 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
By loving basketball to death and being born in New England.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 01:12:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
As a kid, my mom was a huge fan of the Celtics and Larry Bird specifically - oddly, Dad never cared much about sports of any kind. 

My first NBA memory was my parents watching Dr J's last game in the playoffs (not a C's game, I know) and telling me it was a big deal that he was never gonna play again.  My second is following the 87 Finals.  We lived in the twigs (the twigs is where you wind up if you drive to the sticks and keep going) of Northern New York, so we didn't get the NBC feed clearly; every 2-3 minutes my mom would have me go and adjust this antenna signal tuner type dial we had hooked up to the TV.  Didn't always help; sometimes we'd lose the game completely to static.  But we still watched pretty much every minute of every game. 

After watching the Celtics lose the series (the first of 21 years' worth of difficult losses), I mostly followed them through boxscores and standings in the paper, and watched them in the playoffs or whenever they were on TV.  My senior year we finally got a satellite dish and could actually see games clearly, but this was in the mid-90s doldrums so the Celtics were never on.  But I kept the faith, watched a few surrogate teams and kept following the C's however I could, usually by obsessively reloading the old ESPN.com boxscores as a game went on.  Eventually the Pierce/Walker teams started doing a few things right.  Then of course, another downturn, a heartbreak in the 2007 lottery that turned into probably the greatest dream season in NBA history, doubly so since I had never seen them win a title before. 

So, I guess a healthy mix of family environment and OCD.

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 01:25:33 PM »

Offline CelticPride18

• Joe Mazzulla
Would anyone admit if they started watching the Celtics once they traded for KG?

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 01:31:09 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Would anyone admit if they started watching the Celtics once they traded for KG?

I sure hope so, I'll admit I went to a whole lot more games in 2007-2008 than I did in 2006-2007
When you love life, life loves you right back