Author Topic: Which three players would you like to see with Perk and Rondo? (within reason)  (Read 9458 times)

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Eric Gordon + Nicolas Batum + Anthony Randolph

Other small forward options -- Gay, Granger or Gallinari

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not that concerned about the idea because I think there's a good chance Perkins will be traded in the off-season. Garnett with these legs may have to go to the 5.
From interviews I have read and interviews with Doc and Danny I have heard on WEEI radio, KG, Doc and Danny all feel that come next year KG will be at about the same physical condition he was before he got injured. They all sound convinced of that.

If that is true and they feel that way, I think they keep the boys together for one more year to see if KG does actually return to his opld self physically and try for another banner next year. If KGs knee doesn't respond or his and Pierce's and Ray's game slide further, this team will start to be dismantled at next year's trade deadline. That's the way I see it.
Even if KG is back to where he was last year he could still play the 5.

Trading Perkins might be the one card Danny has to play to get some more young talent on this team.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
There are a couple of interesting possibilities. Miami needs a defensive presence in the middle, if it keeps Wade, as does OKC. I'd want Michael Beasley in any Perkins deal with Miami, since any attempt to move Perk would be solely to get younger and upgrade potential.

I love Beasley's upside, and when he grows up - which may take awhile - he could very well be the "bridge to the future" that this club needs.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Not that concerned about the idea because I think there's a good chance Perkins will be traded in the off-season. Garnett with these legs may have to go to the 5.
From interviews I have read and interviews with Doc and Danny I have heard on WEEI radio, KG, Doc and Danny all feel that come next year KG will be at about the same physical condition he was before he got injured. They all sound convinced of that.

If that is true and they feel that way, I think they keep the boys together for one more year to see if KG does actually return to his opld self physically and try for another banner next year. If KGs knee doesn't respond or his and Pierce's and Ray's game slide further, this team will start to be dismantled at next year's trade deadline. That's the way I see it.
Yeah, I would be very surprised if any of the starting five moved on this summer. Unfortunately.

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If we decide to build around Rondo and Perk with other younger players, who would you like to see replace Ray, Pierce, and KG?  Don't say Dwyane Wade, LeBron, and Chris Bosh.

I was thinking Josh Smith, Gerald Wallace, and Andre Iguodala.  All three guys are good passers and excellent athletes who would go well with Rondo on the break.  We'd still be a top defensive team and we'd be much better at rebounding.

Melo!   He is going to be a free agent in 2012 , the same year the C's will have a ton of cap space. With Denvers future looking shaky with an older Chauncey Billups and KMart who knows how much longer they will be contenders.

Melo is basically the same player as PP in his prime ,but has the potential to be even better.

You add Melo at SF and try to get a sharp shooter like Morrow from GSW and possibly even use BBD at PF . That team is easily 50+ wins for the next 5 years with room to grow.

This is interesting.  I like Melo.  I disagree that he's as good as Pierce or ever will be (sans stats) because he lacks Paul's heart but, he is a top 5 go to guy on the offensive end. 

I still think you can win (2008) with Perk at Center but, you need a scorer at PF and great shooter to play alongside Rondo. 

I agree on the need for a PF and shooter in that lineup, but I have to disagree a bit on the 'Melo analays.  I used to really despise Carmelo in his early years (primarily for his immaturity, etc), but quite frankly I think he's going to be better than Pierce ever has been.  It's easy to say that Pierce has more heart b/c he's our Captain, but in just looking at performances in the Olympics Carmelo has shown more heart and leadership than Pierce.  The guy has been maturing and trying exceptionally hard, and IMO is one of the top 2 or 3 offensive players in the game.  At this rate of improvement I wouldn't be surprised if he is considered better than Pierce was in his prime.  

I also agree that Carmelo would be an ideal person for Rondo & Perk to play alongside.  With Perk's interior defense and Rondo's speed/passing, it'd be a deadly trio.  I'd love to see it in the future :)

As things stand right now (i.e. if we don't commit to any cap beyond next season, the current CBA agreement/Salary Cap is similar), we can pursue Melo when he opts out next year.

Wonder if Danny's already thinking ahead...
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Trading Perkins might be the one card Danny has to play to get some more young talent on this team.
Oh, I agree with that. I just think these guys might be stuck in the "if it's not broke, don't fix it mode".

Personally I would trade Perk away for a high draft pick and a nice role player and try to lure Udonis Haslem or Marcus Camby or Amir Johnson here on the cheap for a year or two years

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Oh, I agree with that. I just think these guys might be stuck in the "if it's not broke, don't fix it mode".

Personally I would trade Perk away for a high draft pick and a nice role player and try to lure Udonis Haslem or Marcus Camby or Amir Johnson here on the cheap for a year or two years

Marcus Camby already signed an extension with Portland
and rumor has it that Haslem will try to land wherever Dwade lands.

If we move Perk, I'd like it to be for a nice young SG or PF (if we move KG to the 5).
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I must be listening to different interviews.  I have heard them say that they think he is still recovering, and that he is not back to where he is going to be, but I have also heard them both, on numerous occasions, say that KG will never again be what he was in 2008, but they don't need him to be.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'd like Gerald Wallace at the 3, Anthony Randolph at 4 and Marcus Thorton at 2.

Gerald Wallace is one of the top Defensive SFs in the game, I believe. His contract is manageable and he's only 27. Plus, he's one of the very few that gives Lebron trouble.

Anthony Randolph? KG - Like. Needs to gain some pounds, though. He's very young at 21 and has Plenty of room to develop.

Marcus Thorton impressed me over the last few months in NOH. Really nice shooter that can fill it up. A little short for a SG, but I like him.

If this is down the road in say 2012, then I'd say this is doable. G Wallace and Randolph along with Perk makes for a very Scary Defensive Frontline.

Now the Dream SF is of course that man named Kevin from OKC. He is very raw defensively, but Boy he is surely showing flashes of greatness even in that area. The defense he played on Kobe in their series has caught my eye.

Offline blceltsfan

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
Joe Johnson (atlanta), L Aldridge (Portland), Melo (Denver)

It doesn't cost to dream! Anything can happen!

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
If we decide to build around Rondo and Perk with other younger players, who would you like to see replace Ray, Pierce, and KG?  Don't say Dwyane Wade, LeBron, and Chris Bosh.

I was thinking Josh Smith, Gerald Wallace, and Andre Iguodala.  All three guys are good passers and excellent athletes who would go well with Rondo on the break.  We'd still be a top defensive team and we'd be much better at rebounding.

Melo!   He is going to be a free agent in 2012 , the same year the C's will have a ton of cap space. With Denvers future looking shaky with an older Chauncey Billups and KMart who knows how much longer they will be contenders.

Melo is basically the same player as PP in his prime ,but has the potential to be even better.

You add Melo at SF and try to get a sharp shooter like Morrow from GSW and possibly even use BBD at PF . That team is easily 50+ wins for the next 5 years with room to grow.

This is interesting.  I like Melo.  I disagree that he's as good as Pierce or ever will be (sans stats) because he lacks Paul's heart but, he is a top 5 go to guy on the offensive end. 

I still think you can win (2008) with Perk at Center but, you need a scorer at PF and great shooter to play alongside Rondo. 

I agree on the need for a PF and shooter in that lineup, but I have to disagree a bit on the 'Melo analays.  I used to really despise Carmelo in his early years (primarily for his immaturity, etc), but quite frankly I think he's going to be better than Pierce ever has been.  It's easy to say that Pierce has more heart b/c he's our Captain, but in just looking at performances in the Olympics Carmelo has shown more heart and leadership than Pierce.  The guy has been maturing and trying exceptionally hard, and IMO is one of the top 2 or 3 offensive players in the game.  At this rate of improvement I wouldn't be surprised if he is considered better than Pierce was in his prime.  

I also agree that Carmelo would be an ideal person for Rondo & Perk to play alongside.  With Perk's interior defense and Rondo's speed/passing, it'd be a deadly trio.  I'd love to see it in the future :)

I don't know about Melo. Gorman hates him, has basically stated it during a celtics broadcast a while back. He indicated the reason wasn't totally basketball related but didn't go further into it, but it was clear he would never consider him a top player. Gorman usually doesn't go out on a limb to trash people so there lust be something there.

Offline CbrewEra

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • LETS GO BOSTON
Rudy Gay because that would be a high flying spectacle...
Michael Redd if he ever gets healthy, Rondo drive and kick to him.
Andrew Bogut, Rondo is also very good at rewarding his begin, and laying it down to them.  I can only imagine how many points more Kendrick would have if he could just go straight up with the ball.

And a wish list contains mainly Kevin Durant and Amare Stoudemire, for obvious reasons.
"He trades like a drunk Texas oilman trying to impress a beautiful woman"

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
get in the time machine.

Larry Bird at small forward.
Larry Bird Jr at Center
Larry Bird III at pf
Larry Bird IV at sg

oh wait. Within reason. Riiiggghhhtt

That kid from Butler. Hayward

PF Joakim Noah

SF That 7 foot tall Lithuanian kid that can shoot from the outside.

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

I don't know about Melo. Gorman hates him, has basically stated it during a celtics broadcast a while back. He indicated the reason wasn't totally basketball related but didn't go further into it, but it was clear he would never consider him a top player. Gorman usually doesn't go out on a limb to trash people so there lust be something there.

Mike Gorman also stated during an in-game broadcast (in late 2007) that if given the opportunity he would not trade Al Jefferson straight up for Kevin Garnett.  Thankfully Mike Gorman is our announcer and not our GM.

Like I said, early in his career Carmelo was a punk, and I couldn't stand him.  However, I can appreciate how far he's come and how good he is.

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
At all costs I want to see the Celtics find an all NBA big man. Whether that is by free agency, hitting the lottery a couple times, or trading Perk or Rondo, doesn't really matter.

From there, if the C's still have Rondo, then you need some athletic guys who can shoot and play defense.

For fantasy fun some specific names:

Rondo
Ben Gordon / Joe Johnson
Gerald Wallace / Danny Granger
Chris Bosh / Al Horford
Perkins