Author Topic: Best option if Doc goes: Larry Brown  (Read 8857 times)

Re: Best option if Doc goes: Larry Brown
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 04:25:21 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Eh, I have a feeling if Doc leaves, it is because this team's window is closed, and I really do not like Larry Brown on non-championship level teams.  He is the type of coach that likes a certain type of player, and often gives talent to get that.  

I also don't know if Brown would be that interested in coming here, since he likes total control, and he would not get that with Danny on board.

I dont necessarily want Brown here but I definitely think there would be a high level of interest from both sides. He almost came on board before we got Thibs before the 08 season.

I wouldnt mind some new coaching blood in here. A former player preferably who is looking to break into the ranks. Anyone have any good suggestions?

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Eh, I have a feeling if Doc leaves, it is because this team's window is closed, and I really do not like Larry Brown on non-championship level teams.  He is the type of coach that likes a certain type of player, and often gives talent to get that.  

I also don't know if Brown would be that interested in coming here, since he likes total control, and he would not get that with Danny on board.

I dont necessarily want Brown here but I definitely think there would be a high level of interest from both sides. He almost came on board before we got Thibs before the 08 season.

I wouldnt mind some new coaching blood in here. A former player preferably who is looking to break into the ranks. Anyone have any good suggestions?

I think the team was in a dramatically different position in the summer of 2007, and right now.  I think on both sides, they are going to be looking at a transition, and I don't think it is the ideal situation for a guy like Larry Brown.

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 05:33:19 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I'm not sure how much next year's really going to BE a transition year, though.  KG will still be here.  Pierce will still be here.  'Sheed will still be here.  Rondo will still be here.  Perk will probably still be here.  Ray will (I think) likely be here on a two-year extension.

I don't think the "transition" starts for at least another year, and doesn't really take hold until KG and 'Sheed's contracts expire (or they trade them).  Until then, we're going to be a veteran squad that's too old to realistically contend - but they aren't going to tank the season, either.  They'll be on the downward side of "title contender," but trying to squeeze out as many wins as they can.  Kinda like the late teams of the Original Big Three era, only without having a Reggie Lewis around (unless we get REALLY lucky in the draft).

We're not going to be in "rebuild" mode because we don't have anyone other than Rondo to rebuild around (and because we can't unload our old guys, even if we wanted to).

As I see it, LB would be out stopgap coach, to squeeze as much as possible out of the current core, knowing he would likely leave before the REAL rebuilding starts in 2012.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 06:51:55 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
What about an old friend... KEVIN MCHALE.

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 07:03:17 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
I would be more than happy seeing Tom Thib step up to the plate, he has more than proven his worth as an assistant and definitely deserves an opportunity as a Head coach

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I'd be happy with Larry Brown or Kevin McHale, so long as we retain our vets and are considered contenders next year.  Call me crazy, but I'm still not a huge Doc fan, and would actually be happier if Larry or Kevin were coaching the team next year.  Outside of that there are a few coaches I'd consider a "wash", and some like JVG who I'd like if this weren't a veteran team.

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 08:34:15 AM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Don Nelson is due for a winner.

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 09:38:21 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I would love to see Larry Brown, but I fear he would bring Iverson with him  ;D
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 09:59:25 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't like Larry Brown for the Celtics. Would love to see Jeff Van Gundy get a crack at it, if only if we can get to see once again him clinging to someone's leg in a fight.

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 10:22:04 AM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Coaches who've been fired always seem to get another job because they are "experienced", even when they've done a crappy job.

Are there any assistant coaches out there who merit a shot at a head coaching job (aside from Thibideau)?
Heinson coached the C's to a championship without prior experience, as did Russell.  (But M.L.Carr didn't.)

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 10:53:20 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As much as I like Tibs, I don't want him as a head coach.

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 11:04:20 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Coaches who've been fired always seem to get another job because they are "experienced", even when they've done a crappy job.

Are there any assistant coaches out there who merit a shot at a head coaching job (aside from Thibideau)?
Heinson coached the C's to a championship without prior experience, as did Russell.  (But M.L.Carr didn't.)

Assuming the team's core is going to be the same next year (KG, Pierce, Rondo, Perk, 'Sheed, probably Ray), why would you bring in someone without any head coashing experience?  We're not going to BE in a full-on rebuilding mode next year, it's going to be a matter of squeezing as much as we can out of an aging roster while hoping we get lucky in the draft.  You've got to bring in someone that's got some respect among the veterans, especially replacing a coach that seems to be as popular among his players as Doc. 

Larry Brown, I think would have that respect; Jeff Van Gundy, I think would as well.

Bringing in a guy with no head coaching experience, to handle the personalities in the Celtics locker room...  to deal with Pierce likely growing frustrated as he sees the team begin retooling...  dealing with 'Sheeds stubbornness...  deal with Rondo's hardheadness...  does not sound like a good situation for a n00b coach.

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 11:09:22 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
As much as I like Tibs, I don't want him as a head coach.

Me neither.  Although if they are going to go in a rebuilding direction for a couple years, I wouldn't mind giving him a shot.  I don't have much confidence in his ability to lead a team to a championship right now (you shouldn't ask any first time head coach for that), but there would be some benefits to giving him the shot over some other "rebuilding" coach (meaning cheap).  

First, we know he is a darn good teacher.  He knows defense, and he teaches it as well as anyone.  

Second, it shows some good will towards the guys who got them the championship.  This might help to keep a guy like Clifford Ray on staff, which IMO is incredibly important, since he is one of the, if not the best big man coaches in the game.  If we are going to eventually replace KG, I think Ray will be immensely valuable.  

And finally, why not?  If they are rebuilding (or reloading, whatever you want to call it), it probably means they are going to have at least a couple bad years.  So it is unlikely that the coach you have over the time is going to be sticking around for when they are good again.  Why not give Thibs, who has been the good soldier, a chance.  He is not going to cost a lot of money, and worst comes to worst, they fire him.

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Paul Pierce, what are your thoughts about playing center? :'(
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Paul Pierce, what are your thoughts about playing center? :'(
Haha, yes, and Perk, you are going to be our primary ballhandler.  It's your job to get it down low to Robinson.