Author Topic: Tanguay Is Awful / other Announcers etc...(merged)  (Read 15493 times)

Re: Tanguay is awful
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 09:19:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
OK, OK, give the guy a break. Yeah, he isn't very good at play by play. Way too over-dramatic.
BUT, I've never understood why people care so much about who's announcing the game, almost as much as the game itself. He's just the media, he's not the event!
I was cringing a few times, because he obviously loves Rondo, and worships Tommy, but those are not bad things. Just needs to tone it down a little, and not laugh at inappropriate moments.
Anyway, we're spoiled by having Gorman.

I understand your point but in today's society watching sports is about being entertained. When I am at a game, I have the game entertain me but when I am at home, it is the entire production(game, announcers, graphics, interviews, etc.) that entertain me. And, unfortunately for my ears and viewing pleasure, Tanguay is about as bad as it gets in a play by play guy for basketball.

I think John Madden, who probably knows next to nothing about the game of basketball, would be better to listen to on Celtics play by play than Gary Tanguay.

And I hate listening to Madden do color analyst work on football!!!

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 09:55:02 AM »

Offline Hal Jordan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Here's the problem: there was really no play by play guy in the booth.  It was like having two color guys doing the game, with one of them attempting to do play by play (waaaaay over his head).

This sort of thing is really inexcusable, especially after firing Cous.  I mean, this is not a podunk market, but COMCAST thinks they can plug any old yahoo into Mike's chair and we won't know the difference, or won't care?

More proof that "big media" is inefficient and bad for the little guy.

Also make me realize how grateful we should be for Gorman, and any of the other actual pros that Comcast hasn't gotten around to replacing with telegenic idiots yet.

/soapbox

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2008, 10:13:52 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I don't think he was the worst I ever heard, but that horrible YELLING was driving me mad! I was thinking in the middle of it that I needed to create a thread this morning on it, but I am glad to see it wasn't just me. He sounded like he was trying to be Kevin Harlan, but didn't really know the appropriate time to get excited. Come back Gorman!

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 10:26:13 AM »

Offline mikeford

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18
Sounds like many of you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Has Tanguay ever done p-b-p before these games? I mean, obviously theres going to be bumps in the road but obviously he's not going to stack up against someone like Gorman who's being doing this since before I was born. Cut the guy some slack.

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 10:28:33 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Cut Tanquay some slack. He's sitting in for one of the best announcers in the business.

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't think he was the worst I ever heard, but that horrible YELLING was driving me mad! I was thinking in the middle of it that I needed to create a thread this morning on it, but I am glad to see it wasn't just me. He sounded like he was trying to be Kevin Harlan, but didn't really know the appropriate time to get excited. Come back Gorman!
I thought i was listening to kevin harlan too, except harlan doesn't make as many mistakes.

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2008, 10:46:10 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Sounds like many of you are making a mountain out of a molehill. Has Tanguay ever done p-b-p before these games? I mean, obviously theres going to be bumps in the road but obviously he's not going to stack up against someone like Gorman who's being doing this since before I was born. Cut the guy some slack.

The mistakes aren't the issue. It is the obnoxious YELLING!!! That has nothing to do with experience. That is style. If the guy hasn't done it before and isn't prepared, then he shouldn't be put out there on national TV. He made the game tough to watch. Not exactly what they were likely shooting for.

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Tanguay is awful.  Let's not make excuses.  He's awful in studio too.

Mr. Pomposity over on the radio side is no prize either.

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
He was super trash.

I also got the feeling he was annoying the hell out of Tommy.

What happened to Gorman again? Where's Donny?

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22:19 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

The mistakes aren't the issue. It is the obnoxious YELLING!!! That has nothing to do with experience. That is style. If the guy hasn't done it before and isn't prepared, then he shouldn't be put out there on national TV. He made the game tough to watch. Not exactly what they were likely shooting for.

I hate how after every single screming fit he goes "what about that tommy!" or "tommy?" "what did you think of that tommy!"

tommy doesn't need your promting moron, he'll give his opnion when he wants.

when is gorman back, because gary is an abomination.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2008, 11:28:12 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It seems like he's trying too hard to be all things to all people, so he's overcompensating his deficiencies instead of just being himself.  He wants to be the enthusiastic play by play guy,  the unadulterated homer, the informative stat guy, Tommy's pal, your buddy on the couch watching the game with you...
Yup

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2008, 11:30:31 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
He is just a tad over dramatic, and at really strange times. 

And is it just me, or do you think he actually believes the free throw voodoo?

Heh, Redz, he seemed pretty legitimately broken up when PP missed that freebie after he read the numbers.

Also, great point about the spots he picks to raise his voice.  I  was all sorts of confused by this all night.

-sw
GT: "Kendrick Perkins is a man!!!"
TH: "He's a man?"

Classic

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2008, 11:52:11 AM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
I read all the posts, understand all your points, and agree with some of them.

Yes, he made an unbelievable number of mistakes. 

Yes, he get's way too excited at times.

Yes, he doesn't know the game well enough.

Yes, he probably annoys Tommy.

But I like him in a sense!  He'll never be close to Mike Gorman, but I like him filling in for Mike much more than I like Donny filling in for Tommy.  He really doesn't have an annoying voice like so many other commentators.  Actually, I'm quite amused that he makes his voice deeper for play by play compared to when in the studio :)

I'm looking forward to Mike getting back on Wednesday, but I don't mind Gary, even with all his flaws.  On the flip side, I really can't stand him in the studio to be honest, and that he's usually paired with Donny makes it even worse.  I'm now at the point where I DVR the games, and Fast Foward through all the pre/post game studio stuff except for interviews.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2008, 11:55:25 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Heh, Redz, he seemed pretty legitimately broken up when PP missed that freebie after he read the numbers.

Also, great point about the spots he picks to raise his voice.  I  was all sorts of confused by this all night.

-sw

Classic
It was like an elementary school scene with the nerd trying to impress the jock with his non-nerdly jockness, and the jock letting the nerd know that he is indeed a nerd.
Yup

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2008, 12:00:50 PM »

Offline mikeford

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18

-sw

Classic
It was like an elementary school scene with the nerd trying to impress the jock with his non-nerdly jockness, and the jock letting the nerd know that he is indeed a nerd.

It mostly just reminded me of this GEM of a press conference: youtube.com/watch?v=SkKch-CAlgM
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:17:24 PM by mikeford »