Author Topic: Tanguay Is Awful / other Announcers etc...(merged)  (Read 15494 times)

Re: Tanguay is awful
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 11:25:20 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Give Tanguay credit.  He is much better than Billy Packer.

I think that's a bit of a tough comparison as one does play-by-play and the other analysis.  But I don't doubt that Billy can rub audiences the wrong way.

Personally, I particularly enjoyed imagining the suits in the war room at CBS during last year's Kansas-UNC Final Four game when Billy pronounced - at about the 13-minute mark of the first half - "This game...is over!"  Credit the guy at least for not pulling any punches, no matter the ratings ramifications  ;)

Not a Billy fan, I take it, indy?

-sw

I'm a Xavier grad and can't stand him bashing us for making the tourney year in and year out.  CBS had to pull the plug on him a couple times last year during the selection show.  Didn't he also use the "This Game...is over!" quote during the NC/Kansas game?

IndyCeltics

Yep, that's the game I was referring to above.  That was not a particularly fun time to be in Mizzou Tigers territory (where all things Jayhawks are hated - fortunately my relationship is far tighter with the Celts, so I've never taken issue with our cap'n).

And, no, Billy isn't known as the world's biggest booster of programs that aren't the perennial elites.  Is my memory serving me correctly in thinking that Billy and Phil Martelli got into it the year St. Joe's had that long undefeated run, lost to Xavier in the A10 title game and still got a one seed?

-sw

And apologies to tb for any incidental thread-jacking here on my part.  Grrrr Tanguay.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 11:25:57 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Give Tanguay credit.  He is much better than Billy Packer.

I agree 100 percent! I hate Billy Packer lol. Tanguay isn't that bad he just gets into it at awkward points in the game.  Whether its acting or real I don't know.  He's better than Donny too.  

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »

Offline indyceltic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18

I think that's a bit of a tough comparison as one does play-by-play and the other analysis.  But I don't doubt that Billy can rub audiences the wrong way.

Personally, I particularly enjoyed imagining the suits in the war room at CBS during last year's Kansas-UNC Final Four game when Billy pronounced - at about the 13-minute mark of the first half - "This game...is over!"  Credit the guy at least for not pulling any punches, no matter the ratings ramifications  ;)

-sw

I'm a Xavier grad and can't stand him bashing us for making the tourney year in and year out.  CBS had to pull the plug on him a couple times last year during the selection show.  Didn't he also use the "This Game...is over!" quote during the NC/Kansas game?

IndyCeltics

Yep, that's the game I was referring to above.  That was not a particularly fun time to be in Mizzou Tigers territory (where all things Jayhawks are hated - fortunately my relationship is far tighter with the Celts, so I've never taken issue with our cap'n).

And, no, Billy isn't known as the world's biggest booster of programs that aren't the perennial elites.  Is my memory serving me correctly in thinking that Billy and Phil Martelli got into it the year St. Joe's had that long undefeated run, lost to Xavier in the A10 title game and still got a one seed?

-sw

It was the A-10 Quarter Finals, but you are correct.  He was going nuts about them getting a 1 seed even after being knocked out of the first round of the A-10 Tourney. 

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 11:37:58 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego

-sw

IndyCeltics

-sw

It was the A-10 Quarter Finals, but you are correct.  He was going nuts about them getting a 1 seed even after being knocked out of the first round of the A-10 Tourney. 

Ah, gotcha...should have remembered that it wasn't the title game.  Thanks for clarifying.  I believe things remained icy between Billy and Martelli for a while.

-sw

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 12:34:28 AM »

Offline mikeford

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 18
Wait wait wait...

You're telling me the free-throw voodoo ISN'T REAL?

God this is like finding out about Santa all over again.

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 12:50:49 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego
Wait wait wait...

You're telling me the free-throw voodoo ISN'T REAL?

God this is like finding out about Santa all over again.

To ease your pain, Mike, a TP for having one of the coolest avatars around - I've been meaning to comment on your Jaelen House pic for a while now but haven't gotten a chance.  Great stuff.

-sw

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 03:10:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gary Tanguay is the Kedrick Brown of Celtic play by play guys. He looks the part but once you put him into the fire you see he has no game and then you can't understand how you could have put him into the game in the first place.

I've had root canals that were less painful and more entertaining than listening to Tanguay's play by play.

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 03:16:36 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I didn't mind him for a fill in.  It didn't prevent me from enjoying another great win.  23-2.  15 in a row.  Defending champions...  Me from June 2007 doesn't believe Future Me is logically conceivable. 

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2008, 07:26:17 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
First I'm so used to Mike Gorman I was a bit in shot (started to watch game late). Tanguay needs less emphasis on his play by play and more even talk.  It is actually a difficult thing to do.
Love Gorman!

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2008, 07:56:34 AM »

Offline Steve from Milford

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I watched both games and if anything he was WORSE in the first game! He spends the entire game in hero worship of everything Tommy says and encourages him on the most inane subjects Tommy brings up even on that moronic voodoo crap (notice the Mike Gorman nearly always just ignores it whenever possible).

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 08:32:16 AM »

Offline farringa

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
One of the things I noticed about Tanguay is that he was absolutely in love with numbers of all sort. After every foul, I looked at my wife and said, "How many do you suppose he has?" And then there would be Tanguay, telling me. Obsessed with the stats, very little commentary. He was mostly just a second score board.

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 08:37:09 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
"PERK IS A MAN!!!!!!!!" 

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 08:41:03 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Gary Tanguay is the Kedrick Brown of Celtic play by play guys. He looks the part but once you put him into the fire you see he has no game and then you can't understand how you could have put him into the game in the first place.

I've had root canals that were less painful and more entertaining than listening to Tanguay's play by play.

no dude, he's more like jerome moiso...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
OK, OK, give the guy a break. Yeah, he isn't very good at play by play. Way too over-dramatic.
BUT, I've never understood why people care so much about who's announcing the game, almost as much as the game itself. He's just the media, he's not the event!
I was cringing a few times, because he obviously loves Rondo, and worships Tommy, but those are not bad things. Just needs to tone it down a little, and not laugh at inappropriate moments.
Anyway, we're spoiled by having Gorman.

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 09:10:36 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
He is just a tad over dramatic, and at really strange times. 

And is it just me, or do you think he actually believes the free throw voodoo?

Haha.  I thought the exact same thing last night.  KG getting an 8 ft baby hook to go down midway through 2nd quarter should not elicit the same reaction as a game winning three at the buzzer.