Author Topic: Rivers thinks chances for PJ to return to C's 50/50?  (Read 3097 times)

Rivers thinks chances for PJ to return to C's 50/50?
« on: November 15, 2008, 08:59:57 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
In this ESPN article about veterans without a team, you can find some interesting details, if only to kill some time until tonight's game:

"4. P.J. Brown
It wasn't until the All-Star break last season in New Orleans that Garnett and Paul Pierce talked Brown into joining the Celtics, and Boston coach Doc Rivers is keeping his fingers crossed that Brown will get the itch sometime in late winter to go for a repeat title with the Celtics.

"I think it's 50-50, although I really have no basis for saying that," Rivers told ESPN.com. "What we really need is for the All-Star Game to be back in New Orleans so we can bring our staff to his house."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=Unemployed-081114&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

I thought the PJ case was almost closed, but this lets some space to hope that PJ might be back again. I would personally love to have him back in green, i think the team hasn't found a substitute for him yet...thoughts?

Re: Rivers thinks chances for PJ to return to C's 50/50?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 09:09:47 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd love to have him back.  I think the allstar break timeframe is ideal too, because for now Baby and Powe get minutes so they can improve.  I wouldn't mind him hanging out with the team now, like Cassell is doing, because he is like having another assistant coach.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 09:43:44 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Posey made some comments about PJ last night:

"I have seen P.J. a couple times out at dinner," Posey said. "One time he came to practice out at training camp. He's doing good. I don't know [if he'll play again]. It depends on how he feels. I'm sure he can help teams out there to compete to win. He has that leeway if he wants to come back or not.

After showing interest in free agent forward Antonio McDyess before he re-signed with Detroit Monday, the Celtics could be interested in adding a veteran big man with length such as Brown. If Brown decides to return, the expected front-runners for his services would include Boston and the Hornets."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/12/13/posey_is_unsure_about_browns_intentions/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+Boston+Celtics+news

It'd be great to have PJ back here for the last part of the season

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 09:46:13 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'd love to have him back.  I think the allstar break timeframe is ideal too, because for now Baby and Powe get minutes so they can improve.  I wouldn't mind him hanging out with the team now, like Cassell is doing, because he is like having another assistant coach.

Wouldn't that give us more coached than players (kidding...I think)
Yup

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 09:52:07 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
While we are 'speculating' this early, My choice would be Alonzo Mourning in February. I know he is tied tightly to Miami and Mickey Aronson, but if the Heat are out of it by then and we offer to rent him for the post season ala PJ Brown, who knows? He would be a great post presence against Cleveland, Lakers, Orlando or who ever in the postseason. Not to mention he might teach Perk a thing or two about post moves. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 10:49:15 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
While we are 'speculating' this early, My choice would be Alonzo Mourning in February. I know he is tied tightly to Miami and Mickey Aronson, but if the Heat are out of it by then and we offer to rent him for the post season ala PJ Brown, who knows? He would be a great post presence against Cleveland, Lakers, Orlando or who ever in the postseason. Not to mention he might teach Perk a thing or two about post moves. 8)

Not a bad idea.  At any rate, I like the idea that there are two semi-retired big men to go after (PJ and Zo).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 10:54:37 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Good news. I don't want to go into the playoffs with this situation at the backup 5.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

I'd rather have PJ.  He already knows the defense and is less injury prone.
Greg

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 09:28:07 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
this has always been my hope....and unless health is an issue with PJ and he chooses to stay retired, I don't really see why he wouldn't come back for the last chunk of the season and the playoffs....also assuming the Big 3 stay healthy too, that is.

i think this has been DA and Doc's plan too because a front court rotation of Perk, KG, Powe, BBD and PJ is incredibly solid....add in Scals for certain situations.

i still would like to see another wing added at some point... preferably a big 3 that can shoot and   play the PF when small ball is in order...

I'm not really sure who to target for that spot. he doesn't quite fit that profile, but Raja might be a nice addition with his shooting and defense. the best idea i have heard so far...

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 01:42:47 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
...i still would like to see another wing added at some point... preferably a big 3 that can shoot and   play the PF when small ball is in order...

Scalabrine is a big 3 who is shooting the 3 well and can and play PF; and he knows our defensive system as well as anyone.  What's wrong with his contribution?

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 01:43:55 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
A thought about PJ,

We still owe him a ring ceremony do we not?  I can't see us not bringing him back.