Author Topic: To Mutombo or not to Mutombo?  (Read 11536 times)

Re: To Mutombo or not to Mutombo?
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 08:36:26 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
P.J. is a slightly better passer, but he also turns the ball over more.  Objectively, I don't think P.J. can be called the better offensive player.

Those are regular season numbers right? PJ Brown was just being warmed up then. PJ is the better offensive player if you actually watch them both play. PJ has range on his J and can still score on the box. Deke is like a garbage collector out there..

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008, 09:39:17 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
P.J. is a slightly better passer, but he also turns the ball over more.  Objectively, I don't think P.J. can be called the better offensive player.

Those are regular season numbers right? PJ Brown was just being warmed up then. PJ is the better offensive player if you actually watch them both play. PJ has range on his J and can still score on the box. Deke is like a garbage collector out there..

i think you also have to consider the system we play....and i think on that count, PJ's ability to hit the 15ft jumper is a better fit for our offense than what Deke brings to the table...pick and pop is a staple for us, and PJ really can deliver there...

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 10:03:20 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
Sign Dikembe, move Cassell to the bench as asst coach and keep our project POB.  Why are you guys so quick to give up on projects like POB?   Mark my words, POB has talent and will develop desire - he has no other choice if he wants a career in the NBA.  Trust in Clifford Ray to bring it out in him as he has with Powe and Perk and BBD.   We can always cut POB later and bring Cassell back if needs arise - right now Eddie is playing awesome in the back-up role.

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2008, 11:07:22 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

i think you also have to consider the system we play....and i think on that count, PJ's ability to hit the 15ft jumper is a better fit for our offense than what Deke brings to the table...pick and pop is a staple for us, and PJ really can deliver there...

Yeps, absolutely agreed. His mid-range jumper is far from being what it used to be, but defenders still have to stay with him on screens and when he pops out. He's also a better trailer. Offensively, PJ is superior to Deke and a better fit. Mutombo will give you some put-backs against weaker rebounding teams and that's all.

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »

Offline Hal Jordan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I know this question was asked, not sure if it was answered: was Dikembe part of the Rockets when Thibodeau was coaching D?  If so, I'll echo the poster that said its a no-brainer. 

Man, the Cobra, the finger-wag AND banner 18?  Could the Leprechaun be that good to us?

So, let's do it!

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
He's just another aging ring Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..  No thanks. I'd rather give the minutes to O'Bryant.

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
He's just another aging ring Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..  No thanks. I'd rather give the minutes to O'Bryant.

I'm confused, why don't you want him, because he is chasing a ring?  Or do you actually think O'Bryant is a better player at this point in their careers?

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2008, 02:07:52 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, I though Mutumbo's career was over last year.  That's why Houston didn't resign him.

Was O'Bryant better than the Mutumbo of three years ago?  On offense, yes.  Defensively, of course not.  Is O'Bryant better defensively than the current Mutumbo?  My guess is, yes.

Maybe they can activate Clifford Ray and get ten minutes a game out of him.  He's probably not that much older than Mutumbo, whose real age is rumored to be more than 42.

But no, Clifford has his ring (two actually, one as a player, one last year) so he probably wouldn't be interested.

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2008, 02:14:36 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Brick,

where does the mutumbo animosity come from, who cares what his motivation - if he's a better player take him. Given what he did the last two years, I think Deke is probably better than POB - but I also would like to see POB given a real chance before we go anywhere on him.

Let's remember Doc's record with young players is spotted at best.

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2008, 02:15:15 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Sign Dikembe, move Cassell to the bench as asst coach and keep our project POB.  Why are you guys so quick to give up on projects like POB?   Mark my words, POB has talent and will develop desire - he has no other choice if he wants a career in the NBA.  Trust in Clifford Ray to bring it out in him as he has with Powe and Perk and BBD.   We can always cut POB later and bring Cassell back if needs arise - right now Eddie is playing awesome in the back-up role.

Desire isnt something a young guy like him should have to develop
Greg

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
i rather not get mutombo if possible. We don't have a spot left for him anyways

for me i like to trade glen davis and patrick ob plus cash for joe smith and bring up walker from the dleague

« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2008, 07:01:49 PM »

Offline TerreHaute

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
What is the actual status of PJ Brown? Can't we call him and ask what his feelings are. We don't need him until March, but couldn't he tell us now if he will be interested by then? If he can't commit, then Mutumbo is the best option. My only concern with Mutumbo is gaurding the pick and roll. Otherwise, he has everything we need. Lastly, isn't saying that a 42 year old is a better option reason enough to see that POB won't work out? There will always be the next young big guy with potential available. We shouldn't forsake a chance at a championship for a guy who has just a good a chance at being a bust as developing into a good player.

« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2008, 07:46:56 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Well, I though Mutumbo's career was over last year.  That's why Houston didn't resign him.

Was O'Bryant better than the Mutumbo of three years ago?  On offense, yes.  Defensively, of course not.  Is O'Bryant better defensively than the current Mutumbo?  My guess is, yes.

Maybe they can activate Clifford Ray and get ten minutes a game out of him.  He's probably not that much older than Mutumbo, whose real age is rumored to be more than 42.

But no, Clifford has his ring (two actually, one as a player, one last year) so he probably wouldn't be interested.

O'Blount isn't better than Deke, Cliff Ray or the rotting, fetid corpse of Wilt Chamberlain.

Get rid of him, and get a real backup 5 in here.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2008, 07:59:35 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
from what i've seen from o'bryant (and heard from his coach), i'd take mutombo at the age of 80 over him...i'm very disappointed in him and wouldn't be surprised if he were cut or dealt to make room.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2008, 11:19:57 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i' d say mutombo deserves a ring.  let him hop on the bandwagon. this guy has meant so much to so many people. the least he deserves in life is an nba ring.i'm such a fan of this PERSON i just want him to wear the uniform.