Author Topic: To Mutombo or not to Mutombo?  (Read 11538 times)

Re: To Mutombo or not to Mutombo?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 03:31:17 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Definitely....good for 8-10 minutes

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I wasnt thrilled with with the PJ signing last year, of course in hindsight we all love him now, but at first he hardly contriubted anything and I thought cassell was the better signing...I for the most part thought PJ looked done and helpless when he first signed

Dikembe would be a beast on this team.
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 03:36:24 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Dikembe would be awesome, and I would prefer him over PJ.

Keep in mind that Deke is going to have that 'last chance' mentality that PJ had last year.  Mutombo has never won a championship, so I think that would give him that added fire that we saw in PJ last year. 

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 03:50:49 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
anythings possible.

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 04:14:16 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Bring MuJumbo in if for no other reason then  to slow down Ilgauskas? and Lebron. I think we can take the Lackers right now constructed as we are. But, with MuJumbo, we would really give them what they deserve. Can you imagine a frontcourt of KG at small forward, with Perk and MuJumbo playing power forward and center respectively? I think KG is quick enough to guard many small forwards. Put Paul in at shooting guard and Rajon in and that is very tough lineup on D. It wouldnt have to work for long, and it probably wouldnt but for a short stretch it could completely shut opposing offenses down.

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 04:47:05 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I would love to bring him in...even though it would bring our average age on the team to 40.

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 04:53:29 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Bring MuJumbo in if for no other reason then  to slow down Ilgauskas? and Lebron. I think we can take the Lackers right now constructed as we are. But, with MuJumbo, we would really give them what they deserve. Can you imagine a frontcourt of KG at small forward, with Perk and MuJumbo playing power forward and center respectively? I think KG is quick enough to guard many small forwards. Put Paul in at shooting guard and Rajon in and that is very tough lineup on D. It wouldnt have to work for long, and it probably wouldnt but for a short stretch it could completely shut opposing offenses down.

I wouldn't want KG lined up at SF against the Lakers.  Radmanovic would camp in the corner, effectively taking KG out of the middle of our defense.  If they decided to put Luke Walton at the 3, though, this lineup would be effective defensively- in my opinion, any shot that Walton takes is a good thing for us.

Offensively, though, it would be a hindrance.  Deke and Perk can't spread the floor, KG travels too much when he puts the ball on the floor and that's going to leave the lane too crowded for Rondo and Pierce.

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 04:59:40 PM »

Offline PJ Martinez

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
The only question is not whether you sign-- if you can, you do-- it's whose roster spot he gets. (I vote Cassell, but I suspect it would be O'Bryant.)

His age is a concern, but look at what he did in the regular season last year, compared to what P.J. Brown (Brown's numbers in parentheses). All numbers per 36 minutes (though it's worth noting that Mutombo played more mpg than Brown, 16 vs. 11).

FG: 2.5 (2.4)
FG%: .538 (.341!)
RB: 11.6 (11.7)
AST: .3 (1.7)
BLK: 2.8 (1.4)
PTS: 6.9 (6.7)

So Brown had more assists and slightly more rebounds, Mutombo had more of everything else. Mutombo is also listed at 7'2'', while Brown is listed at 6'11''. Also, Brown is supposedly fully retired, while Mutombo publicly wants to come back and has never won a ring.

Get it done, Danny. And make Cassell a full-time coach while you're at it. Or maybe cut Scal.

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Mutombo would just be the perfect fit. We need a big vet coming from the bench that can play some D and face some of the remaining big centers of the league such as Ilgauskas or Shaq. Deke can surely do that for 10-15 min. He has always been in shape, and there is no reason to believe that has changed in the last months. Plus he could still teach Perkins some more tricks to his already good defensive skills.

I'd say: Let's get Dikembe!

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Not interested in cutting Sam to add Deke.

Easy decision: Paddy's done absolutely nothing. End the waste of time, and let's get a real backup 5 on the roster.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 05:51:43 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
dikembe has done so much for so many suffering people. i'd be so proud to see him wearing a celtic uniform. i think there's a lot of confidence that can come from just being associated with someone like this.the guy is a saint.

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 06:24:47 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I really hope we land Mutombo!!!!
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 06:36:14 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'd rather have Dikembe than just about any free agent or potential buyout out there, including P.J.

Joe Smith is intriguing, but he doesn't defend or rebound like Dikembe.  As a long-term option, though, I'd obviously rather rather Smith.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. He's also one of my all-time favorite players. I'd love for him to have an excellent chance to get a ring.

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 06:57:32 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Mutombo
Yup

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 07:19:34 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Meh... Mutombo is slow, but PJ wasn't exactly flying on his feet out there; it's not what we need.

PJ is a better banger, faster running the floor and still has the short-range jumper. Mutombo is the better rebounder and shot-blocker.

I'm okay with any of them.