Author Topic: To Mutombo or not to Mutombo?  (Read 11531 times)

To Mutombo or not to Mutombo?
« on: December 14, 2008, 01:38:34 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I figured Id start a topic about this since no one has yet.

It would be nice to have a legit sized back up center eh?  But for some reason, outside of having a backup who is a legit 7', I'm not bouncing off the walls with the thought of this move.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Deke, but wouldnt all of us agree that we'd rather have PJ, and to a lesser extenet, 'Zo or Joe Smith?

Mutombo did defend pretty well last year in Houston, so i guess we shouldnt be worried about what he has left.  But, when I watched him last year, he looked really slow, and I guess him playing 1 on 1 against the other bigs of the west, it didnt come into play that much.  However, on our team, I think it would, I would be worried about Deke being able to rotate in our defensive sets as fast as we would need him to.

I know I'm probably making a lot out of nothing, and I know if we pass on Deke, we're not guaranteed any of the other backups that I mentioned.  However, I feel like were playing a game of poker and we got dealt a pair of 10's and were sitting here deciding whether we should stay or roll the dice and see what we can catch on the river.
Greg

Re: To Mutombo or not to Mutombo?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 02:01:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Joe Smith and PJ Brown allow both frontcourt players to play a hybrid 4/5. I like that a lot.

But, Deke would help us a lot, and I'd love to have him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 02:16:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I like Mutombo.  Backup C that can defend. 

Celtics do not really need a PF/C, just a C.  Powe is good enough to cover all backup PF minutes (which there will probably not be a lot of in the playoffs)

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I like Mutombo.  Backup C that can defend. 

Celtics do not really need a PF/C, just a C.  Powe is good enough to cover all backup PF minutes (which there will probably not be a lot of in the playoffs)

i concur...bring him here, as he'll help shut down the lane on defense.  we've got plenty of offense, and it will be nice having a true shot blocker and intimidation factor.  i'd like this move...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 02:23:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Also, I don't think the Celtics have the luxury of waiting for a single big man vet with the hope he decides to come back. 

If either PJ or Mutumbo says to the Celtics, "I'm ready", Sign them.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 02:27:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'd rather have Dikembe than just about any free agent or potential buyout out there, including P.J.

Joe Smith is intriguing, but he doesn't defend or rebound like Dikembe.  As a long-term option, though, I'd obviously rather rather Smith.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Forget Mutombo
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 02:32:58 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Give me some of this!

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »

Offline sinbad

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 56
Was Tibs coaching with Van Gundy in Houston when Mutumbo was there? If so, this would be a no-brainer.

It would be a good fit. It would help tremendously with our two biggest competitors the Lakers and Cavs. Mutumbo will limit Lebron's drives to the bucket and render him a jump shooter. All year long we've been hearing about the Lakers length. Adding Mutumbo would counter that. I think Mutumbo is one of the few centers that would give Bynum problems.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Was Tibs coaching with Van Gundy in Houston when Mutumbo was there? If so, this would be a no-brainer.

It would be a good fit. It would help tremendously with our two biggest competitors the Lakers and Cavs. Mutumbo will limit Lebron's drives to the bucket and render him a jump shooter. All year long we've been hearing about the Lakers length. Adding Mutumbo would counter that. I think Mutumbo is one of the few centers that would give Bynum problems.

Perkins gave Bynum all sorts of problems last year in the regular season.  Perk also gave Gasol all sorts of problems.  If the Lakers use that linup, (Bynum and Gasol together), the Celtics could probably counter with Perk and Mutumbo (for a short KG rest stretch). 

Same against a Cleveland team that has both Big Z and Wallace out there at once. 

Basically, close the lane inside for Kobe or Lebron and let their defenders really defend the outside shots.

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 02:50:04 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
if he wants to come, i say bring him. celtics nation was all for him before he said he didn't like the cold and therefore didn't want to come to boston.

Become Legendary.

Re: Forget Mutombo
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 02:50:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Give me some of this!

If he comes back, it will be to Miami, I think.  In interviews, he still refers to the Heat as "we".

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 02:55:07 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

yup, looks pretty good to me.

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I say sign him. We can't miss out for a hypothetical (PJ returning, Smith being bought out). He would gives us a legit C who can defend and rebound. Powe and BBD can take the back-up 4 minutes in the play-offs.

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 03:28:53 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i don't think its that powe and baby can't handle the 4, i think that the only REAL center is perk (KG hates playing center) and although davis and leon match up well against 5's because of their strength... we're desperately in need of length on the bench.

plus in garbage time the other game POB finally showed a little bit of potential, maybe motombo can become O'Bryant's bench buddy and show him some moves.

Re: Forget Mutombo
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 03:30:36 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Give me some of this!

If he comes back, it will be to Miami, I think.  In interviews, he still refers to the Heat as "we".

If I was Zo, I'd be excited to stay with the Heat, an organization I love and have won with, with a superstar who has taken it to another level this season.