Author Topic: Stunned by pruitts play as of late  (Read 18971 times)

Re: Stunned by pruitts play as of late
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2008, 01:22:03 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
then why are people so impressed by the play of tony allen as well as the rookies?

you can't call gerald a bust just yet. people expected too highly of him (for him to become an all-star like brandon roy) and he's on his way to becoming a serviceable backup. he's too young to say he has no future in the nba.
Zerophase.  Gerald's a bust.  Tony's still inconsistent.  And the rookies aren't impressive at all.   There.

But KG is going to carry this team with help from his two allstar-level buddies Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.  Perk's going to be a serviceable defensive bigman with the slowest offensive reaction time on the planet.  Rondo's going to have games where even casual NBA fans say, "Wait... maybe he's on Devin Harris and TJ Ford's level afterall..."  Powe will have a few random double doubles scattered throughout the season.   House will have games where he has clowns starting threads saying "maybe House should start over Ray"... Tony will shut down a few people and have a couple 20 point outbursts.... and together that group will make us a contender for the 2009 title. 

Sprinkle on a few Patrick O'Bryant blocks, Gabe Pruitt three pointers and Bill Walker dunks to satisfy the "grasping at straws" crowd. 

And Harvey Dent turns into Two-Face midway through "The Dark Knight"

TP we seem to agree in regards to most of the roster although I'll continue to hold on to my Pruitt straw. 

But why no spoiler alert  :'(
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
then why are people so impressed by the play of tony allen as well as the rookies?

you can't call gerald a bust just yet. people expected too highly of him (for him to become an all-star like brandon roy) and he's on his way to becoming a serviceable backup. he's too young to say he has no future in the nba.
Zerophase.  Gerald's a bust.  Tony's still inconsistent.  And the rookies aren't impressive at all.   There.

But KG is going to carry this team with help from his two allstar-level buddies Paul Pierce and Ray Allen.  Perk's going to be a serviceable defensive bigman with the slowest offensive reaction time on the planet.  Rondo's going to have games where even casual NBA fans say, "Wait... maybe he's on Devin Harris and TJ Ford's level afterall..."  Powe will have a few random double doubles scattered throughout the season.   House will have games where he has clowns starting threads saying "maybe House should start over Ray"... Tony will shut down a few people and have a couple 20 point outbursts.... and together that group will make us a contender for the 2009 title. 

Sprinkle on a few Patrick O'Bryant blocks, Gabe Pruitt three pointers and Bill Walker dunks to satisfy the "grasping at straws" crowd. 

And Harvey Dent turns into Two-Face midway through "The Dark Knight"
Your unbridled optimism is sooo refreshing!! ::) ::)

Seriously, I know your trying to stay grounded regarding the actual expectations of this group but it seems you might be a bit pessimistic regarding a group that did just win the World Championship. Maybe, just maybe, some of the collective parts besides the Big Three are a bit better than you are portraying and have grown a bit. Maybe a little!

« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »

Offline mjohnson

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Just my own thought, we got 4 Point Guards (Rondo, Cassell, House, Pruitt)

How about the idea of raising the value of some of our players in this regular season including Pruitt, T. Allen and Scalabrine for greater trade possibility? Maybe not this next off-season and probably before February deadline since our bench lacks veteran role players.

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2008, 10:53:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I guess actually pruitt doesn't stink and when given the chance can play. He had a solid solid game. Defending, passing, shooting well. (this against a really good and hectic utah team)

After watching him i'm beginning to wonder how inefficient of a coach doc is. Wasting money paying salaries to guys like pruitt when he showed me what he can actually do if given some proper play time(not garbage time where no one cares).

Eddie house is good in 2 situations only. 1) playing with the big three 2) when you need clutch shooting

Otherwise it pains me to watch him play the pg. Pruitt should be given more run (it shouldn't take a leave of absence for this to happen)

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2008, 11:13:21 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
tough to call doc inefficient at this point,dude. i've bashed doc in the past. i ain't saying a word now.

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2008, 11:24:05 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
How about the idea of raising the value of some of our players in this regular season including Pruitt, T. Allen and Scalabrine for greater trade possibility?

And what might the Tony Allen pupu platter net the Celtics?  I'd love to know.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2008, 11:40:13 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I guess actually pruitt doesn't stink and when given the chance can play. He had a solid solid game. Defending, passing, shooting well. (this against a really good and hectic utah team)

After watching him i'm beginning to wonder how inefficient of a coach doc is. Wasting money paying salaries to guys like pruitt when he showed me what he can actually do if given some proper play time(not garbage time where no one cares).

Eddie house is good in 2 situations only. 1) playing with the big three 2) when you need clutch shooting

Otherwise it pains me to watch him play the pg. Pruitt should be given more run (it shouldn't take a leave of absence for this to happen)

Pruitt is very cheap. How is money being wasted?

I also wonder what you are expecting. A perfect roster? The roster is compiled before the season starts. You do not know yet how things will play out. Nevertheless, we can expect some clown to complain 2 months from now, "Why didn't we play POB from the beginning of the season? He's dominating! we should have traded Powe while he was still contributing!" or some similar nonsense.

When Pruitt shows he is a better option for major minutes, he will get them.

And why are you drawing conclusions about Pruitt from one game?

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2008, 11:58:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Huh?  What does Doc have to do with contracts?  You lost me on this one. 

I understand the argument for wanting Pruitt playing over House (or having House pick up more minutes at the SG), but I don't see how this has anything to do with money, or "efficiency".

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2008, 11:44:36 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I really want Cs developing Pruitt skills running the show
It worked really well for Delonte
and Pruitt can be as good as him or close at least
and that makes a hell of a backup pg for us
and a very cheap one
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2008, 12:18:54 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
these type of posts really irk me.  pruitt played well against utah last night, and a thread from mid-october is ressurected by the OP?!

lets call a spade a spade here.  no one knows how pruit will be.  i dont think an accurate assessment can be drawn on either side of the argument bc he hasnt played (preseason, dleague, and pine time at the end of blowouts dont count). 

b4 people crown him deven harris or other players listed in this thread.....lets not forget a couple young names people were excited about bc of some solid play early on:
-orien greene
-brandon hunter

both of these guys had some great games early on, but once they got regular rotation minutes and teams included them in their preparation, they are nothing than forgotten folklore.

im not trying to sound negative, as i would like nothing more than for pruitt to be a big contributor and help the team right now and in the future......but lets be rational here and not jump the gun on either side of the argument.

« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2008, 12:25:57 PM »

Offline ThreadCrasher

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
these type of posts really irk me.  pruitt played well against utah last night, and a thread from mid-october is ressurected by the OP?!

lets call a spade a spade here.  no one knows how pruit will be.  i dont think an accurate assessment can be drawn on either side of the argument bc he hasnt played (preseason, dleague, and pine time at the end of blowouts dont count). 

b4 people crown him deven harris or other players listed in this thread.....lets not forget a couple young names people were excited about bc of some solid play early on:
-orien greene
-brandon hunter

both of these guys had some great games early on, but once they got regular rotation minutes and teams included them in their preparation, they are nothing than forgotten folklore.

im not trying to sound negative, as i would like nothing more than for pruitt to be a big contributor and help the team right now and in the future......but lets be rational here and not jump the gun on either side of the argument.

I agree with your assessment in general, however, there is a difference with your examples.  Both Green and Hunter had major holes in thier games.  Greens offensive game never progressed and Hunter was a short PF.  Pruitt seems to have the size and quickness to handle the PG position.  He has always had a great shot, but now his ballhandling/PG play is getting visably better as well as his defense.  It just feels like he is more likely to become a decent backup PG.

« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2008, 12:27:20 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

-orien greene
-brandon hunter

I agree with your assessment in general, however, there is a difference with your examples.  Both Green and Hunter had major holes in thier games.  Greens offensive game never progressed and Hunter was a short PF.  Pruitt seems to have the size and quickness to handle the PG position.  He has always had a great shot, but now his ballhandling/PG play is getting visably better as well as his defense.  It just feels like he is more likely to become a decent backup PG.

that, i agree with

« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2008, 12:28:13 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

-orien greene
-brandon hunter

Its better to use his old thread and not post a new one tough

last time someone resurrecte  a thread was to post against his old one and creating a new one..lol

And if someone post good things about a C and use the same thread to post another good thing after a loong absense I can not see anything wrong with it.  :(
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2008, 12:41:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Did it ever occur to you that the reason Pruitt is now getting a little bit of run is because he has been developed by Doc and now is good enough to earn a bit of minutes and not that Pruitt has been this good all along and that Doc was just a moron for not seeing it and wasting his skills?

And by "this good" I mean he just had a career game with a whole 8 points and some okay defense so I guess "this good" is a relative term. Don't get me wrong I've liked Pruitt since watching a bunch of his games when he was in college. I think the kid has definite NBA skills. But he still has a long way to go to develop into the type of player that will consistently help this team and that growth will happen through practice, determination, and more hard work, not just increased playing time.

« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2008, 12:58:32 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Or, he could be trade bait so we can clear a spot for Decrepit, PJ, Starbury, Toine and the like.
God bless and good night!