Author Topic: Stunned by pruitts play as of late  (Read 18981 times)

Re: Stunned by pruitts play as of late
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2008, 01:39:59 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Pruitt's a bum.  It's the preseason.  Don't give your hopes up.  I'm not impressed.

I hope that's a joke.  Because your assessment is a joke.

Pruitt has shown strides in improvement over year 1, so there's plenty of reason to get excited.
Because at his height 6'4 as a PG he could pose some mismatch problems and help defend taller guards that otherwise eat Rondo alive in the post.
Not only does he have a good jumper but his defense is good too.

Hey I'm sorry you're still hung up over losing Posey, but GET OVER IT!
The Celtics bench is looking to be even BETTER than last year, thanks to the apparent improvement/surprise emergence of guys like Pruitt, Walker, POB, etc.

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24

This is jumping the gun, but if pruitt keeps developing like this, we could have ray allens replacement when his contract is up (pruitts ceiling is higher than that of giddens and walker imo)

Isn't it a little early to determine the ceiling of Walker and Giddens? Pruitt's an example of the fact that these guys need time to develop before most fans have a handle on how good they are.

The thing is with rondo cemented at the pg for a long time, pruitt at this rate won't want to be a 2nd pg. Plus many teams will just offer more money for him to get with them.

I'm not saying walker nor giddens can't be great someday also but pruitt has alot more weapons at this point and things like shooting might be something you can't be good at(maybe you can be decent with practice though). Giddens and walker are average shooters. In addition pruitt has as decent defense as both of them and pg smarts.

I hope all three though compete for that spot if it comes to that point(its a good thing for us)

I like the comparison someone made earlier of him being a poor mans but taller arenas

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2008, 01:48:29 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
I watched the game yesterday, and Pruitt at first looked a bit off, but later started stepping it up. I was watching him play, and it sort of reminds me of another Cassell. Pruitt still does have areas he needs to improve on (what player doesn't) but I liked his stroke from 3-point.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2008, 01:49:56 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
lar

we loved the goods of the jefferson, gomes and Rondos on those pre seasons too
Its all relative
He have the tools and veterans to shine
he only have to be consistant and shine.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 01:52:42 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
He's not Arenas.  There aren't many players in this league that can pour it in the bucket like Gilbert when he's locked in.  Pruitt, as good as he may be, won't be one of them.

That said, I'm also very pleased with the growth that Pruitt has shown this preseason.  He's not quite the lights out shooter that Eddie or Sam can be, but he's showing signs of being a well-rounded player who can do a little bit of everything - specifically, defense.  That will make him a useful piece to the puzzle this year.

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 01:55:37 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Thank you all for the additional comparisons (Devin Harris, young Cassell, taller Arenas) and TP to footey for being first.  

His height, defense and shooting make him sound very appealing.  How well does he handle the ball; can he drive to either side?  This will be crucial as to how able of a PG replacement he can be.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Pruitt's a bum.  It's the preseason.  Don't give your hopes up.  I'm not impressed.
how is he a bum? He has played very good every time he has got in a game. He has a very good outside shot, is a good ball handler , has quickness to get to the basket and can stay in front of his man defensively. What evidence do you have that says he is a bum? I am not saying he is going to be an all-star ,but he can very easily contribute good minutes for this team this season.

No he hasn't.  He had one average preseason game against other bums and everyone gets all excited, because it's part of Boston homer culture and they do that with every player who ever puts on the green.  14 points and 7 assists in a preseason game against inferior competition.  Who cares?   Check some other box scores around the league... you'll be surprised.  I'll just randomly look at some from the last two days:

Marcin Gortat had 12 rebounds and 3 blocks in 23 minutes last night.  6-11 240... Who the hell is Marcin Gortat?  I have no idea.  Neither do you.   Nobody outside of Boston knows who the hell Gabe Pruitt is either...

Blake Ahearn had 15 points, 2 assists and a steal in 22 minutes.  Who the heck is Blake Ahearn?  Beats me...

Brandon Bass:  13 points, 9 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 assist in 25 minutes.   Never heard of him

Yesterday Kelenna Azubuike had 24 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 block... I knew he was effective, but it's nice to see he's developed into an allstar.

Sean Singletary had 15 points, 2 steals in 16 minutes!  Good lord.  Nice to see the Suns finally got their backup for Steve Nash ...

Bad boy James Singleton with 11 points, 9 rebounds and 4 blocks.   BEAST!!

Von Wafer:  23 points in 26 minutes.  I always knew Von Wafer had it in him...

His boy Aaron Brooks had 14 points and 9 assists... Gabe Pruitt-esque.   Poor man's Gilbert Arenas, probably...

19 year old 7 footer Kosta Koufos with 11 points and 7 board in 20 minutes.  Next Shaq

And really... you gotta be impressed with Eric Gordon's 33 points and 2 steals.  Clearly the kid is hall of fame bound... but...

I'm way more impressed with his running mate, Mike Taylor:  21 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals.    Holy crap.   Whose Mike Taylor?

Bottom line:  Pruitt's a nobody.  He's our 4th string point guard.  He's a frontrunner to be cut if Darius Miles shows a pulse.   He's replaceable.   His "flashes" are merely "flashes".   He wasn't that good in the dev league.  He's been below average in the majority of the preseason games... and the kid puts up 14 and 7 and yall get all giddy.   Not impressed... not sold...

I aint h8tin... im jus keepin it real, yo.  A couple of those guys on the list above, obviously we've heard of.  But I honestly wouldn't be shocked if someone on this board read those names and had no clue who any of them were.  Wouldn't be surprised at all.   Point is... if any of them put up those stats in green, you'd be searching for a random superstar to compare them to.   lol

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2008, 02:10:16 PM »

Offline help D

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
He has been impressive from what I've seen this preseason, confident, aggressive and accurate. Has made some bad passes, tho.

At 6'4" and 170 something pounds, he could put on some weight.

With Rondo on the court Pruitt is a "2" but when he's out there with House and TA it's a three headed monster that can handle the ball decently, be a threat offensively, and play team D. Those three created havoc last night against the Nuts.

Like having Ainge and DJ in the backcourt, it's not about who's a 1 and who's a 2, it's about getting the job done, exploiting matchups, and playing within the team system.

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2008, 02:11:25 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

This is jumping the gun, but if pruitt keeps developing like this, we could have ray allens replacement when his contract is up (pruitts ceiling is higher than that of giddens and walker imo)

Isn't it a little early to determine the ceiling of Walker and Giddens? Pruitt's an example of the fact that these guys need time to develop before most fans have a handle on how good they are.

The thing is with rondo cemented at the pg for a long time, pruitt at this rate won't want to be a 2nd pg. Plus many teams will just offer more money for him to get with them.

I'm with Tim regarding the possibility that we're jumping the gun here a bit.  I'm excited to see what we get from Pruitt (as I am about all our young guys) and like his sweet shooting stroke, but what is "this rate"?  The guy has played a total of 95 professional minutes over 15 regular season games and has looked good in the preseason so far.  A good start to the new year, of course, but I'm not sure we need to be too worried about him writing a ticket out of town or replacing Ray yet.

That said, it's certainly quite a feeling to have a title-winning team and a group where we're excited about plenty of unknown promise, and I'm with you on the feeling of intrigue.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2008, 02:14:50 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
how is he a bum? He has played very good every time he has got in a game. He has a very good outside shot, is a good ball handler , has quickness to get to the basket and can stay in front of his man defensively. What evidence do you have that says he is a bum? I am not saying he is going to be an all-star ,but he can very easily contribute good minutes for this team this season.

No he hasn't.  He had one average preseason game against other bums and everyone gets all excited, because it's part of Boston homer culture and they do that with every player who ever puts on the green.  14 points and 7 assists in a preseason game against inferior competition.  Who cares?   Check some other box scores around the league... you'll be surprised.  I'll just randomly look at some from the last two days:

Marcin Gortat had 12 rebounds and 3 blocks in 23 minutes last night.  6-11 240... Who the hell is Marcin Gortat?  I have no idea.  Neither do you.   Nobody outside of Boston knows who the hell Gabe Pruitt is either...

Blake Ahearn had 15 points, 2 assists and a steal in 22 minutes.  Who the heck is Blake Ahearn?  Beats me...

Brandon Bass:  13 points, 9 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 assist in 25 minutes.   Never heard of him

Yesterday Kelenna Azubuike had 24 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and 1 block... I knew he was effective, but it's nice to see he's developed into an allstar.

Sean Singletary had 15 points, 2 steals in 16 minutes!  Good lord.  Nice to see the Suns finally got their backup for Steve Nash ...

Bad boy James Singleton with 11 points, 9 rebounds and 4 blocks.   BEAST!!

Von Wafer:  23 points in 26 minutes.  I always knew Von Wafer had it in him...

His boy Aaron Brooks had 14 points and 9 assists... Gabe Pruitt-esque.   Poor man's Gilbert Arenas, probably...

19 year old 7 footer Kosta Koufos with 11 points and 7 board in 20 minutes.  Next Shaq

And really... you gotta be impressed with Eric Gordon's 33 points and 2 steals.  Clearly the kid is hall of fame bound... but...

I'm way more impressed with his running mate, Mike Taylor:  21 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals.    Holy crap.   Whose Mike Taylor?

Bottom line:  Pruitt's a nobody.  He's our 4th string point guard.  He's a frontrunner to be cut if Darius Miles shows a pulse.   He's replaceable.   His "flashes" are merely "flashes".   He wasn't that good in the dev league.  He's been below average in the majority of the preseason games... and the kid puts up 14 and 7 and yall get all giddy.   Not impressed... not sold...

I aint h8tin... im jus keepin it real, yo.  A couple of those guys on the list above, obviously we've heard of.  But I honestly wouldn't be shocked if someone on this board read those names and had no clue who any of them were.  Wouldn't be surprised at all.   Point is... if any of them put up those stats in green, you'd be searching for a random superstar to compare them to.   lol
I don't think he is going to be arenas either like some of the people do in here. It's one extreme saying he is going to be an all-star or even a starter, but you are going to the complete opposite extreme saying he is a complete bum. The truth is he is going to be the 11th or 12th man at best off the bench this year. I think he can develop  to the point that he could easily fill the Eddie House Role by mid season if house were to get injured. To say he is a bum is foolish and to say he is Gilbert Arenas is pretty foolish too...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 02:20:24 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2008, 02:30:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

No he hasn't.  He had one average preseason game against other bums and everyone gets all excited, because it's part of Boston homer culture and they do that with every player who ever puts on the green.  14 points and 7 assists in a preseason game against inferior competition.  Who cares?   Check some other box scores around the league... you'll be surprised.  I'll just randomly look at some from the last two days:

Marcin Gortat had 12 rebounds and 3 blocks in 23 minutes last night.  6-11 240... Who the hell is Marcin Gortat?  I have no idea.  Neither do you.   Nobody outside of Boston knows who the hell Gabe Pruitt is either...

Blake Ahearn had 15 points, 2 assists and a steal in 22 minutes.  Who the heck is Blake Ahearn?  Beats me...

Brandon Bass:  13 points, 9 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 assist in 25 minutes.   Never heard of him

Sean Singletary had 15 points, 2 steals in 16 minutes!  Good lord.  Nice to see the Suns finally got their backup for Steve Nash ...

His boy Aaron Brooks had 14 points and 9 assists... Gabe Pruitt-esque.   Poor man's Gilbert Arenas, probably...

19 year old 7 footer Kosta Koufos with 11 points and 7 board in 20 minutes.  Next Shaq

And really... you gotta be impressed with Eric Gordon's 33 points and 2 steals.  Clearly the kid is hall of fame bound... but...

I'm way more impressed with his running mate, Mike Taylor:  21 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals.    Holy crap.   Whose Mike Taylor?

Bottom line:  Pruitt's a nobody.  He's our 4th string point guard.  He's a frontrunner to be cut if Darius Miles shows a pulse.   He's replaceable.   His "flashes" are merely "flashes".   He wasn't that good in the dev league.  He's been below average in the majority of the preseason games... and the kid puts up 14 and 7 and yall get all giddy.   Not impressed... not sold...

I don't think he is going to be arenas either like some of the people do in here. It's one extreme saying he is going to be an all-star or even a starter, but you are going to the complete opposite extreme saying he is a complete bum. The truth is he is going to be the 11th or 12th man at best off the bench this year. I think he can develop  to the point that he could easily fill the Eddie House Role by mid season if house were to get injured. To say he is a bum is foolish and to say he is Gilbert Arenas is pretty foolish too...

True... there has to be balance, right?  lol...  Maybe Pruitt will prove me wrong. 

But it just cracks me up that any player who shows a pulse gets a thread about him.  I joked about it earlier this offseason when we signed Patrick O'Bryant and everyone said "bust! ... stiff!... O'Blount!"...   This is Boston homer culture.  It was 100% totally inevitable that at some point O'Bryant was going to pull down a couple rebounds and get a couple blocks and someone was going to compare him to "a poor man's (insert former superstar center here)".   My money was on Patrick Ewing.   Well... it took like 2 preseason games for there to be a big thread on him.  Typical.   

And now we're talking about Gabe Pruitt.  Gabe Pruitt?  Heh.   It's just funny to me.   We only look at this team and we look at every player under a massive microscope.  If they show any basketball capability whatsoever, we're ready to say foolish things like "he's the next Gilbert Arenas" or... "He may be Ray Allen's replacement".    This isn't the first time we've done this, folks.

Marcus Banks was the next Iverson
Jiri Welsch was the next Hondo
Brandon Hunter/Big Baby/Powe was the next Barkley  (that's not a knock on Powe.  He's a solid backup)
Orien Greene was the next Jason Kidd
I think at one point Chris Herron was the next Stockton

Some fool last year even said Brandon Wallace was the key to the Kevin Garnett acquisition.  I seen it happen... I seen it with my own eyes.   

Basically every young player who ever wears the green gets this treatment.    Just try to have some perspective.  If you were looking at ANY of those players on the list I gave as closely as you look at Pruitt, you'd be just as excited.  But the majority of them are bums and will never amount to squat.   My friend John is a hardcore obsessed NBA fan who lives in Seattle.  I just had the following conversation:

Me: what do you think of Gabe Pruitt?
John: i havent heard much of him ?
John: honestly, didnt even know his first name
John: haha
Me:  He had 14 points and 7 assists last night
John:  It's the preseason.  Luke Ridnour had 16 points and 12 assists last night.

I don't mean to argue... it's just funny.

My alltime favorite Boston Homer moment was probably last year when someone tried to argue that if he had an option of having Perkins or Hakeem in his prime to start at center for this team, he'd go with Perkins, because he'd be more effective for this system.   He was serious...   Know what the funny part is?  People are reading this right now and thinking to themselves, "Well I mean... maybe he was right.  We DID win the title with Perkins and all"   ::)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 02:35:53 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2008, 02:48:39 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Devin Harris comparison is probably the most accurate. Same physical build and overall skills. Harris though is better at driving to the hoop but pruitt a better shooter

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

True... there has to be balance, right?  lol...  Maybe Pruitt will prove me wrong. 

But it just cracks me up that any player who shows a pulse gets a thread about him.  I joked about it earlier this offseason when we signed Patrick O'Bryant and everyone said "bust! ... stiff!... O'Blount!"...   This is Boston homer culture.  It was 100% totally inevitable that at some point O'Bryant was going to pull down a couple rebounds and get a couple blocks and someone was going to compare him to "a poor man's (insert former superstar center here)".   My money was on Patrick Ewing.   Well... it took like 2 preseason games for there to be a big thread on him.  Typical.   

And now we're talking about Gabe Pruitt.  Gabe Pruitt?  Heh.   It's just funny to me.   We only look at this team and we look at every player under a massive microscope.  If they show any basketball capability whatsoever, we're ready to say foolish things like "he's the next Gilbert Arenas" or... "He may be Ray Allen's replacement".    This isn't the first time we've done this, folks.

Marcus Banks was the next Iverson
Jiri Welsch was the next Hondo
Brandon Hunter/Big Baby/Powe was the next Barkley  (that's not a knock on Powe.  He's a solid backup)
Orien Greene was the next Jason Kidd
I think at one point Chris Herron was the next Stockton

Some fool last year even said Brandon Wallace was the key to the Kevin Garnett acquisition.  I seen it happen... I seen it with my own eyes.   

Basically every young player who ever wears the green gets this treatment.    Just try to have some perspective.  If you were looking at ANY of those players on the list I gave as closely as you look at Pruitt, you'd be just as excited.  But the majority of them are bums and will never amount to squat.   My friend John is a hardcore obsessed NBA fan who lives in Seattle.  I just had the following conversation:

Me: what do you think of Gabe Pruitt?
John: i havent heard much of him ?
John: honestly, didnt even know his first name
John: haha
Me:  He had 14 points and 7 assists last night
John:  It's the preseason.  Luke Ridnour had 16 points and 12 assists last night.

I don't mean to argue... it's just funny.

My alltime favorite Boston Homer moment was probably last year when someone tried to argue that if he had an option of having Perkins or Hakeem in his prime to start at center for this team, he'd go with Perkins, because he'd be more effective for this system.   He was serious...   Know what the funny part is?  People are reading this right now and thinking to themselves, "Well I mean... maybe he was right.  We DID win the title with Perkins and all"   ::)

Lugging around that ego must get very tiresome.

Seriously, though, there must be thousands of posters here. The fact that some of them are over the top is pretty unsurprising. The fact that you didn't get caught up in the hype of Orien Greene or Brandon Hunter puts you clearly in the top 75% of the posters here.

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Devin Harris comparison is probably the most accurate. Same physical build and overall skills. Harris though is better at driving to the hoop but pruitt a better shooter

Pruitt is nowhere near the level of Devin Harris.  Not even remotely close.

Pruitt is our 4th string point guard behind Rondo, House and Cassell...     

I think most around the NBA will say Devin Harris is better than Rondo.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:08:44 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2008, 03:19:20 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I get the sense you don't think too much of Pruitt's game.  I tend to think you are being a bit over critical for what reason I'm not sure.  He's a 2nd year player who left school early and has very good athletic ability.  I have feeling in the future you might you'll be posting 'I guess I was wrong about Pruitt' but, by all means continue the Pruitt bashing without any semblance of facts to back it up.  I know this completely insane but, I don't think anyone can say either way what Pruitt will turn out to be.  I'm sure this is going to morf into you wanting everyone to be aware that this preseason and somehow Marcus Banks and whomever you mentioned are somehow comparable but, you've already said he 'sucks' so just stay with that concept.  No one is misunderstanding anything some people see talent and chose to disagree with you. 

Most around the NBA would say Devin Harris is better than Rondo?  Hmm well I'm not quite sure you have any facts concerning 'most around the NBA' and I definetly wouldn't consider myself part of the group.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10