Author Topic: Stunned by pruitts play as of late  (Read 18899 times)

Re: Stunned by pruitts play as of late
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Pruit and House together really stretch the defenses.  When we play small ball, Pruitt and House are the guards, Tony is the small forward.  I really like Pruitt alot. He has a very sweet stroke, probably only Ray Allen has a nicer stroke than Pruitt.  Very fluid. Very confident shooter too. I see Sam sitting alot more this season if Pruitt can play consistently like he did last night.

This team is going to be better than last year's team. We may not win as many games, partly because the Eastern Conference has improved, but this team's bench is going to be better, losing Posey notwithstanding.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 09:41:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I watched a lot of USC basketball in Gabe's final year there(insomnia and USC being on the PAC10 Game of the Week had a lot to do with it at the time). I loved his game there and was extremely excited that the Celtics took him. I have said from the get go that this kid is an NBA talent and will be a strong NBA player someday.

It was good to see him have a bit of a breakout game last night. That dribble up to 15 foot pull up and pop was a thing of beauty that is deadly in any PG's arsenal. His range is also spectacular. He will be the backup PG this year, Eddie will be the 2, Tony Allen(could I be more wrong about this guy, I sure hope so) will backup the 2-3 and POB, Leon, and BBD backing up the bigs.

It means a lot of inactive nights for Sam Cassell and lots of NBDL action for the rookies.

BTW, Walker will be another strong NBA player someday, as I have said elsewhere. Books still out on Giddens , IMHO.

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 10:33:56 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
Lets not make him an allstar yet, but I think he has proven to be at least Cassell's equal at this point. I would prefer to have Cassell take that assistant coaching job for the first half of the year so Pruitt can get some time to develop.  If we need an upgrade by midseason, Cassell could pull a PJ Brown. 

Sorry, I like Pruitt as much as he next guy here, but he's a different layer than Cassell.  "Developing youth" is fine and dandy, but we need Cassell's experience to help THIS team THIS year IMO, and I'd rather have PJ Brown pull a PJ Brown this year. 

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Pruitt definitely will come along to be a serious producer, it just seems with all the youngings there isn't enough playing time to go around. Pruitt does have a beautiful shot.

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 11:15:23 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

This is jumping the gun, but if pruitt keeps developing like this, we could have ray allens replacement when his contract is up (pruitts ceiling is higher than that of giddens and walker imo)

Isn't it a little early to determine the ceiling of Walker and Giddens? Pruitt's an example of the fact that these guys need time to develop before most fans have a handle on how good they are.

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 11:27:46 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I watched a lot of USC basketball in Gabe's final year there(insomnia and USC being on the PAC10 Game of the Week had a lot to do with it at the time). I loved his game there and was extremely excited that the Celtics took him. I have said from the get go that this kid is an NBA talent and will be a strong NBA player someday.

You guys are REALLY getting me fired up to see Pruitt play.  I missed the first flashes of brilliance from Rondo way back when too, but he's more than proven to be worth the wait.  Do you think we finally may have the breathing room to develop a new generation of homegrown Celtics?  I totally understand the need for trades, but wouldn't we all love to have seen Big Al or Gomes (or Johnson or Billup for that matter) as Celtics for life?

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 11:51:52 AM »

Offline Zoots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
I didn't get to see the game last night.  Only the two that were on NBAtv.

The thing that impressed me the most about Gabe was his defense.  He always stays in front of his man, and with his length, he really disrupts.  Very impressive.  I was also impressed by his composure.  Last year he was really tentative.  Huge improvement this year.  I'm excited about him.  He moves a lot like Gerald Henderson did.  Sort of glides on the court.

Right now it's looking like Miles is the odd man out.  I can see Danny getting another legit tall big in at some point this year.  I'm not sold on POB yet.  Going into the season with 4 PGs is a little strange, although House, Pruitt, and Cassell to an extent, can play the two as well, so I guess no biggie.  Significantly, I think Pruitt can guard twos, so he can be out there with a House, and Eddie can play two offensively while defending the PG.

Anyway, love the kid's defense.

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 11:55:24 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Lets not make him an allstar yet, but I think he has proven to be at least Cassell's equal at this point. I would prefer to have Cassell take that assistant coaching job for the first half of the year so Pruitt can get some time to develop.  If we need an upgrade by midseason, Cassell could pull a PJ Brown. 

Sorry, I like Pruitt as much as he next guy here, but he's a different layer than Cassell.  "Developing youth" is fine and dandy, but we need Cassell's experience to help THIS team THIS year IMO, and I'd rather have PJ Brown pull a PJ Brown this year. 

Yeps.

I also like Pruitt; I hope he finds a way of having a long career in the league.

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 12:02:26 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Pruitt is proving to be it was all worth the wait...one of the upsides to the preseason for the team.

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 12:54:34 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I have not been able to see any of the Celtics preseason games, but am curious to hear more about Pruitt.  So far I have heard him compared to Gerald Henderson and poor man's Arenas.  Are there other comparisons from people who have seen him play?  Thanks in advance!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 01:16:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yeah, Devin Harris. Seeing them on the court together, the comparisons were pretty obvious to me.

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 01:24:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Pruitt's a bum.  It's the preseason.  Don't give your hopes up.  I'm not impressed.

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 01:29:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I have not been able to see any of the Celtics preseason games, but am curious to hear more about Pruitt.  So far I have heard him compared to Gerald Henderson and poor man's Arenas.  Are there other comparisons from people who have seen him play?  Thanks in advance!

A journeyman who signs a 10 day contract, gets cut and goes to play in Europe.   The guy wasn't even that good in the Dev league.   He could get cut tomorrow and I wouldn't give a [dang].

Don't listen to these people.  They are all nuts.  They all thought Orien Greene was the next Jason Kidd, Brandon Hunter was the next Barkley, and Jiri Welsch was the next Hondo.   They aren't thinking straight.   Pruitt, Giddens and Bill Walker are irrelevant until further notice.

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Pruitt's a bum.  It's the preseason.  Don't give your hopes up.  I'm not impressed.
how is he a bum? He has played very good every time he has got in a game. He has a very good outside shot, is a good ball handler , has quickness to get to the basket and can stay in front of his man defensively. What evidence do you have that says he is a bum? I am not saying he is going to be an all-star ,but he can very easily contribute good minutes for this team this season.

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 01:35:23 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Hayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyter